Author Topic: NFHS 2022 FOOTBALL RULES CHANGES PRESS RELEASE  (Read 23464 times)

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
Re: NFHS 2022 FOOTBALL RULES CHANGES PRESS RELEASE
« Reply #150 on: March 14, 2022, 01:35:42 PM »
I think I know all 9…. Not surprised they have no idea where they are.  :)

But seriously, folks. Ralph, are y’all consciously and deliberately straying from the NCAA rule, which requires the passer to be the player that first controls the snap. So, in NCAA, a player that takes a handoff or backward pass from the player that first controls the snap is NOT able to legally throw the ball away by being the BC outside the tackle box before the throws a pass that crosses the NZ (extended). (He could still ground it by throwing it to an area occupied by an eligible A player.) No skin off my nose, but it seems like the NFHS is considering this rule, because it is being used in the NCAA (in its specific form). If that is the case, why not adopt the tried and true NCAA rule, in its entirety?

For the record, Elvis, under the NFHS code "A Passer" is defined as (2-32-11) "A passer is a player who throws a legal forward pass. (SEE 2-31-1).  He continues to be a passer until the legal forward pass ends or until he moves to participate in the play."

Those of our profession who (formerly, currently, or in the future) choose to work multiple levels (NFHS, NCAA, NFL, other) games choose to accept the added burden and responsibility of applying the appropriate rule code to the contest they are officiating, which at times can add to possible confusion and requires additional study & concentration to avoid problems.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2022, 01:38:33 PM by AlUpstateNY »

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #151 on: March 14, 2022, 08:02:59 PM »
Probably an AD that is the head basketball coach.  He would be a member of NFHS and probably thought he was doing his football coach a favor.   

About 15 years ago in our walk through of the field (grass), the two yard line had been marked as the point after spot.  I went and asked the coach why.  He said that the rule had changed and it was now the two instead of the three.  He almost had me convinced because of his rock hard belief that he knew what he was doing.  I told him that it was only a NFL placement and we would be using the three yard line. 

I think everybody should be able to use the rule they like best.  Before the game you ask the coach about any special plays they might be running and what rule book will you be using.  Your choices are:
1) Intramural Flag
2) Canadian Rule
3) Australian Rule
4) NFL
5) Arena
6) NFHS
7) NCAA
And you can pick any two rules from any other of the six you did not pick.

This would make for a very interesting game.    LOL

I vote rugby rule. You can start at any yardline you like, but the ball is placed laterally at the spot of the touchdown -- including outside the hashmarks.

I wonder if the Great Filter will let me say that, because I mean "lateral" not "backwards".

Offline Derek Teigen

• FAN REACTION: +19/-1
  • Committed to the game; safety and sportsmanship
« Reply #152 on: March 14, 2022, 08:51:02 PM »
I vote rugby rule. You can start at any yardline you like, but the ball is placed laterally at the spot of the touchdown -- including outside the hashmarks.

I wonder if the Great Filter will let me say that, because I mean "lateral" not "backwards".

lateral pass.....as in backwards pass....let's see if the filter still works.

**modifying to say the filter is broken

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #153 on: March 15, 2022, 05:24:21 AM »
While I'm not a true fan of Australian football, I do enjoy the way the officials signal score , goal, touchdown or whatever. I strongly recommend that the  >:D 'grope-touch'  :P be an automatic disqualified  :thumbup in Co-ed touch football. Brady's back  :!#..is that good  :) or bad  :( ?

tR:oLl :o 8] ??? :puke: ::) :P :-[ :-X :-* :puke: :bOW :!# tR:oLl

Time to walk the huntin' dawg  yEs:

Online ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #154 on: March 15, 2022, 08:13:39 AM »
Brady's back. That's good (unless you were the TB backup QB  :)). If he gets 8, no one will come close to that record. 5 will be the most anyone else ever gets. I hope you all live long and happily enough to say I was wrong (more than 5, or 8 or more).

Hope all are healthy and happy.

Offline KWH

• FAN REACTION: +633/-113
  • See it, Think about it, Pass on it if possible!
« Reply #155 on: March 19, 2022, 04:14:17 PM »
The extra down indicator helps if you get lost or have a brain fart and forget to observe the tackle box.  It's there as a back up.  This only works if your U puts the ball in spots 1-5.

I agree.  For precise operating instructions on how to use the 2nd wristband, ask any Umpire.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2022, 03:06:18 PM by KWH »
SEE everything that you CALL, but; Don't CALL everything you SEE!
Never let the Rules Book get in the way of a great ball game!

Respectfully Submitted;
Some guy on a message forum

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +100/-284
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
« Reply #156 on: March 23, 2022, 05:36:57 PM »
I use 4 fingers palm up facing me.  Left hash,  left upright,  right upright, right hash.  Around 2 fingers means between any two.  That gives me 7 spots.
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline ilyazhito

• FAN REACTION: +11/-13
« Reply #157 on: March 24, 2022, 10:52:02 AM »
If I am U or B, I have 5 spots I use: left hash, left post, middle, right post, right hash. Any of those sports I keep in case there is a penalty, so I can tell the crew the lateral location of the previous spot.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #158 on: March 24, 2022, 11:47:58 AM »
I appreciate Matt's video on tracking the FBZ as it will be very helpful for many. This aid plus the mental focus of the FBZ white hats have watched for years should reduce the challenge of this call. The rule of  :thumbup that was used by many in the experimental states was ,if the passer had taken three steps to either side, he was probably out of the FBZ. Remember ,this portion of the rule was to keep the passer from staying in the pocket and dumping the pass.

[/WHEN IN DOUBT, HE'S OUT  yEs:b]

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
« Reply #159 on: March 24, 2022, 12:06:07 PM »
I appreciate Matt's video on tracking the FBZ as it will be very helpful for many. This aid plus the mental focus of the FBZ white hats have watched for years should reduce the challenge of this call. The rule of  :thumbup that was used by many in the experimental states was ,if the passer had taken three steps to either side, he was probably out of the FBZ. Remember ,this portion of the rule was to keep the passer from staying in the pocket and dumping the pass.

[/WHEN IN DOUBT, HE'S OUT  yEs:b]
This is a good rule of thumb and I think will be sufficient.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline KWH

« Reply #160 on: March 24, 2022, 12:23:59 PM »

[/WHEN YOU DONT REMEMBER WHERE HE STARTED,
CHECK YUR NEW WRISTBAND!!  yEs:
b]

Respectfully Submitted;

Offline KWH

« Reply #161 on: March 31, 2022, 07:37:53 AM »
I would be surprised if the word lateral is used in an NFHS rulebook but not real surprised if a "new rule" piggybacks on an existing rule even if that existing rule is not a real good fit (think succeeding spot & OT).  IMHO not a good idea - just one man's opinion.

Since the word "laterally" is already being used in the 2-17-1 FBZ definition, it was used (as lateral) in 7-5-2 EXCEPTION 2
« Last Edit: March 31, 2022, 07:39:28 AM by KWH »

Respectfully Submitted;

Offline JavionLee

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #162 on: September 19, 2022, 01:06:30 PM »
To many people, soccer seems like a very complicated game at first. In my opinion, the sport becomes easier when you have a basic understanding of the game. Once you overcome the initial fear of not understanding, it all comes together in a clear pattern. I started that way, but now I don't have time to keep up with all the innovations. I usually read the articles on https://zumroad.com/sport, which are briefly described there. It helps me keep up with soccer somehow.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 01:57:27 PM by JavionLee »

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #163 on: September 19, 2022, 07:06:33 PM »
To many people, soccer seems like a very complicated game at first. In my opinion, the sport becomes easier when you have a basic understanding of the game.

That can be said for most sports.  Football, however, has multiple levels of rules.  For a sport involving heavy physical contact involving participants between the ages of 8 - 40+, rule modifications are made to fit the participants and needs of each level (Youth, NFHS, NCAA, Semi-pro, NFL).  What makes sense for one level, may not automatically fit as well at other levels.

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
« Reply #164 on: September 19, 2022, 07:11:42 PM »
To many people, soccer seems like a very complicated game at first. In my opinion, the sport becomes easier when you have a basic understanding of the game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #165 on: October 02, 2022, 02:52:47 PM »
check this out:    https://youtu.be/d5BFaykcxGg

Canadian football at its best

Fudillgas's clip has much more than just that first play. Something good to watch before the Pats play the Packers ...ENJOY  tiphat: