Author Topic: Head Coach ejection  (Read 903 times)

Offline Covid 22

• FAN REACTION: +6/-11
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Head Coach ejection
« on: October 09, 2023, 04:25:41 PM »
Friday night a Head Coach was disqualified at the start of halftime.   Since the policy change that allows for a FB Head Coach to be DQ'ed, this is the first I have heard about.   I had threatened coaches but never really came close to doing it.

I was wondering how many HC disqualification you have done or heard about.

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
Re: Head Coach ejection
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2023, 03:13:56 PM »
I toss on average 2 youth coaches a yea for typical reasons; I’ve tossed one head coach, my second year, varsity game, week 3. He apparently had this thing with his team where if mistakes were made, they owned them and immediately drop to do push-ups.

That night, I guess Coach thought he made two mistakes. The first one he did his 10 or 15 push-ups as penance on the sideline. When I saw him I yelled at him to get up, and he did, and told him that was his warning. The second mistake, he yelled to his team that the play call mistake was on him, and he dropped to do his pushups… except he was on the field when he did them; both the whitehat and I immediately flagged him, and he was done.

…except he wasn’t. This was a six man game, and the bus was parked next to the visitor’s stands (their sideline). He went and sat in the bus in the drivers seat, and called another coach on the sideline, maybe they were talking about the weather, maybe he was still coaching, who knows, but it was brought to our attention and  we stopped the game at that point until he got off the phone with the coach. That upset him, so he began honking the bus horn nonstop in protest. After a good 2-3 minutes, if not more, he literally just started the bus and drove away. No idea where he went. Presumably he came back to pick up the kids, we didn’t hang around to see,  not our problem.

Incident report was def filed. I believe he got just a reprimand from UIL for it.

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2023, 07:26:03 PM »
I toss on average 2 youth coaches a yea for typical reasons; I’ve tossed one head coach, my second year, varsity game, week 3. He apparently had this thing with his team where if mistakes were made, they owned them and immediately drop to do push-ups.

That night, I guess Coach thought he made two mistakes. The first one he did his 10 or 15 push-ups as penance on the sideline. When I saw him I yelled at him to get up, and he did, and told him that was his warning. The second mistake, he yelled to his team that the play call mistake was on him, and he dropped to do his pushups… except he was on the field when he did them; both the whitehat and I immediately flagged him, and he was done.

…except he wasn’t. This was a six man game, and the bus was parked next to the visitor’s stands (their sideline). He went and sat in the bus in the drivers seat, and called another coach on the sideline, maybe they were talking about the weather, maybe he was still coaching, who knows, but it was brought to our attention and  we stopped the game at that point until he got off the phone with the coach. That upset him, so he began honking the bus horn nonstop in protest. After a good 2-3 minutes, if not more, he literally just started the bus and drove away. No idea where he went. Presumably he came back to pick up the kids, we didn’t hang around to see,  not our problem.

Incident report was def filed. I believe he got just a reprimand from UIL for it.

You tossed a coach for doing push-ups?

Offline Clear Lake ref

• FAN REACTION: +5/-2
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2023, 07:46:25 PM »
You tossed a coach for doing push-ups?

This.

Also, what policy change is this? I was never aware we couldn’t eject a HC.

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2023, 08:20:25 PM »
He was incredibly disruptive and argumentative the entire game and was warned repeatedly about his antics and mouth. He 100% earned his ejection. Was 2 UNS that got him tossed, not just an arbitrary decision.

If you had a coach doing push-ups on the field in front of you (as a wing) and being disruptive, you would let him finish and then go back to the sideline?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2023, 08:31:55 PM by dammitbobby »

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2023, 10:06:56 PM »
He was incredibly disruptive and argumentative the entire game and was warned repeatedly about his antics and mouth. He 100% earned his ejection. Was 2 UNS that got him tossed, not just an arbitrary decision.

If you had a coach doing push-ups on the field in front of you (as a wing) and being disruptive, you would let him finish and then go back to the sideline?

Being a Marine, I'd be making him push until I was tired, but off the field of course.

Online ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2023, 08:49:56 AM »
OK, TASO folks. By definition and TASO exceptions, a coach can never be "disqualified." But, by definition and TASO exceptions, a coach may be "EJECTED". If he/she does something that you deem to be flagrant, or if he/she gets two unsportsmanlike conduct penalties, then he/she is EJECTED. He/she must leave the playing enclosure (as defined), and must remain out of sight of the field of play for the remainder of the game. NCAA 9-2-6-d, and UIL Exception 49
However, also by UIL Exception 49, if that coach is the only sideline coach, he/she is NOT 'ejected.' Obviously, he/she can still rack up more UNS penalties. The Incident Report for such events should have some impact on the coach, but we all know the UIL doesn't really care. So, he'll be back.

They can't be "disqualified," but they can be "EJECTED."

Go forth and prosper!