Author Topic: "chucking the receiver"  (Read 1535 times)

Offline Derek Teigen

• FAN REACTION: +19/-1
  • Committed to the game; safety and sportsmanship
"chucking the receiver"
« on: September 26, 2021, 09:49:11 AM »
This past weeks games have me thinking about a couple of things.  In a sub varsity game my wideout was trying to run his route along the sideline.  From the snap the cornerback engaged him and rode him out of bounds.  the play was away from my side and I didn't flag it but I spoke to the defender and told him he could not do that because it would be pass interference.  He responded "but I can do it within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage".   That must be a Saturday or Sunday rule because there is no such rule in high school football that I am aware of.

In another sub-varsity game the coach was yelling for his defenders to "chuck" the receiver at the line of scrimmage and as I understand it to mean making contact with the receiver as he is coming off the LOS.  Is this a penalty? 

This also has me thinking about how difficult it can be to determine if the wideout is blocking or running interference for his quarterback who has no intention of throwing the ball to him but is simply tying down a defender.  Any thoughts?

Offline Logical

• FAN REACTION: +5/-12
Re: "chucking the receiver"
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2021, 10:45:40 AM »
http://www.refstripes.com/forum/index.php?topic=15683.msg159690#msg159690

For this situation, you're more likely to have Illegal Use of Hands or Holding.
You'll get differing views on this. It's all judgement on whether you determine the A player a receiver or blocker. I was always instructed that a receiver is a receiver until he makes himself a blocker. So, if B simply puts hands on A with no re-route, I got nothing; if B physically re-routes A player that is not blocking him, I have IUH (after warning to B).
2-3-5-a
9-2-3-d
Case 9.2.3

Offline Derek Teigen

• FAN REACTION: +19/-1
  • Committed to the game; safety and sportsmanship
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2021, 10:52:40 AM »
thanks to the link of the previous thread that discusses it.  I will study it and think about it and replay the situations in my mind.  Thank you Logical.

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2021, 01:40:55 PM »
***So very sorry. I mistakenly thought this was on the NCAA site.***
« Last Edit: September 26, 2021, 03:37:08 PM by ElvisLives »

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2021, 02:47:01 PM »
Until the opponent reaches the same yard line as the blocker, the opponent is to be considered a potential blocker. As such, in addition to the blocking action described above, the defender may use his hands/arms to grasp/encircle the opponent IN AN EFFORT TO AVOID THE BLOCK OR MOVE THE OPPONENT OUT OF THE WAY. However, once the opponent has reached the same yard line as the opponent, the defender may NOT use his hands/arms to grasp/encircle the opponent and obstruct/restrict him.

I don't think this is quite as cut and dry as you're making it out to be. In general, I agree that we should err on the side of "A is a potential blocker until on the same yard line as the defender", but as noted in the thread linked earlier, Case Play 9.2.3.A points out that if A is not attempting to block or is moving away from the defender, he is also not a potential blocker and contact by B would be a foul.

If receiver A is running a straight route down field and B comes across the field (say B was a linebacker and not head up on A at the snap) to block A and just knocks him down while A was not running towards B or looking like he was trying to block B, I would call that a foul even if A wasn't "even up" on B by yard line.

If B was directly in front of A at the snap and A just runs in B's general direction, then I'd definitely say A is a potential blocker even if he doesn't make a blocking motion with his hands. B is allowed to exist on the field which forces A to alter his route, including using his hands to push A out of bounds.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2021, 08:39:30 AM »
ROT  :thumbup (rule of thumb): Once the receiver is shoulder to shoulder with the defender OR has turned away from the defender, he ain't no blocker.

Offline Bubba Ump

• FAN REACTION: +4/-1
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2021, 11:06:45 AM »
The one we need to get is the linebackers blasting the crossing route receivers.  This is illegal and usually boarders on Blind Side but I would stick with IUH unless it's huge. 

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2021, 12:52:39 PM »
I don't think this is quite as cut and dry as you're making it out to be. In general, I agree that we should err on the side of "A is a potential blocker until on the same yard line as the defender", but as noted in the thread linked earlier, Case Play 9.2.3.A points out that if A is not attempting to block or is moving away from the defender, he is also not a potential blocker and contact by B would be a foul.

If receiver A is running a straight route down field and B comes across the field (say B was a linebacker and not head up on A at the snap) to block A and just knocks him down while A was not running towards B or looking like he was trying to block B, I would call that a foul even if A wasn't "even up" on B by yard line.

If B was directly in front of A at the snap and A just runs in B's general direction, then I'd definitely say A is a potential blocker even if he doesn't make a blocking motion with his hands. B is allowed to exist on the field which forces A to alter his route, including using his hands to push A out of bounds.

2 definitions NOT INCLUDED in NFHS: 2:32 "Player Designations" are "Receiver" and "Mind Reader".  Until a "Passer" actually throws a pass, he is, by definition, "A Runner" and any teammates between that Runner and the opposition is a potential "Blocking threat".

As both Elvis and Ralph have suggested, " UNTIL a (potential) receiver is shoulder to shoulder with the defender OR has turned away from the defender, ( & a pass has actually been thrown) that opponent is a potential blocker and can legally be contacted.