Author Topic: Helmets off  (Read 6257 times)

Offline fencewire

• FAN REACTION: +20/-74
Helmets off
« on: August 17, 2012, 09:16:44 PM »
Scrimmage 1 = 1

Online ETXZebra

• FAN REACTION: +18/-7
Re: Helmets off
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 10:21:38 PM »
We had zero. Players were complaining about the helmets being tight.

Offline centexsports

• FAN REACTION: +6/-9
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 11:03:41 AM »
I had one in my first scrimmage last night.    Also a difference of opinion on participation after the helmet came off between the umpire and myself.   Is there a defination for participation?    I was thinking contact but he flagged him for not standing still after the helmet came off.   I waved  off the flag.

Online ETXZebra

• FAN REACTION: +18/-7
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 11:24:00 AM »
Common sense should be used. Standing still or watching the play is not participating.

Offline Joe Stack

• FAN REACTION: +33/-46
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 12:50:39 PM »
He doesn't have to stand still. He can get out of the way, move (away from the action) toward where the next huddle will be, retrieve his helmet (again, away from the action), complain to the R and U he was held, etc.

Offline Neckbone

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 12:52:08 PM »
We had 2 come off.  One was a player yelling that his leg was broken.  He was correct.  We did not make him put it on for the ambulance ride.

Offline DallasLJ

• FAN REACTION: +16/-15
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 02:32:21 PM »
My understanding is that once he turns to try and participate it is a foul -- no contact is required.  If he is protected from being hit, he cannot "participate"  which in my mind mean any attempt at pursuant or blocking or tackling.  Standing still, or retrieving his helmet, generally wandering around behind the play is fine.

Offline centexsports

• FAN REACTION: +6/-9
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 05:16:32 PM »
I understand the "trying" to participate but I have a problem throwing a flag for what a player is thinking about doing.   As an example, the umpire last night said he was moving in the direction of the play so he threw his flag.   But he was also moving toward his sideline.   This was a running play that never got more than 5 yards downfield.   If it had been a punt and he was running down the middle of the field toward the ball then I would agree with the "trying" to participate.

I guess it is going to be a judgement call most of the time.

Offline Joe Stack

• FAN REACTION: +33/-46
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2012, 06:59:24 PM »
Guys, please don't over-officiate this. The key idea is safety -- in this case, protecting them from themselves, so to speak. Don't penalize instinct; penalize action. If you can prevent him from participating by saying something like, "stay out of it," or "your done for this play," do so. You might even tell him to go ahead and make his way to the sideline as he's out for a play. (Talking about the officials who are "cleaning up," not those officiating the action). Just make sure the foul called, if at all, is deserved.

secondeagle

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 09:20:04 AM »
In scrimmage on Friday, same kid had helmet come off three times. Coaches did not say anything other than, "He likes a looser helmet", sent him off each time and finally after third time, told him to stay until the helmet got fixed. Hate to say this, hope this is a one time deal, but what the heck do you do when it continues or if it continues?

Offline clearwall

• FAN REACTION: +14/-13
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2012, 10:44:37 AM »
We had 4 by one team and 1 by the other Friday night. I made sure to remind the coaches after the game about the rule and the impact it would have.

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2012, 11:42:59 AM »
Hate to say this, hope this is a one time deal, but what the heck do you do when it continues or if it continues?
He goes out every time for a play.  That is it.

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2012, 12:51:16 PM »
Guys, please don't over-officiate this. The key idea is safety -- in this case, protecting them from themselves, so to speak. Don't penalize instinct; penalize action. If you can prevent him from participating by saying something like, "stay out of it," or "your done for this play," do so. You might even tell him to go ahead and make his way to the sideline as he's out for a play. (Talking about the officials who are "cleaning up," not those officiating the action). Just make sure the foul called, if at all, is deserved.

Very well said.