Author Topic: Scrimmages - are they becoming more out of control?  (Read 4751 times)

Offline 940AC

• FAN REACTION: +2/-0
Scrimmages - are they becoming more out of control?
« on: August 26, 2012, 04:27:16 PM »
2 out of the 3 scrimmages I did this year had some issues with players fighting.
One was a skirmish on the field where both coaching staffs were pulling kids back, etc....
It seems some of the coaches prefer this fired up, let's beat them at all costs type of scrimmage. I'm thinking they know that it's "just a scrimmage" and a few flare ups here and there are good to see the "fight" in their team. I read where the L.D. Bell coach was quoted in the FW Star Telegram as liking this kind of scrimmage after their 2nd scrimmage with I believe a Mansfield ISD school.
It seems as much as you try and officiate to keep things clean, it's a waste of time.
I called out one player 3 times for extracurricular during my last scrimmage and alerted one of the coaches not once but twice. Nothing was done, except a "don't do that again" slap on the wrist. No bench time, letting the 2nd string player play in his place, nada.
They knew what was going on, and on a Friday night it would have cost them, but in a scrimmage it doesn't.
I've never thrown a player out, never even thrown an unsportsmanlike foul. I let them know I am there, be a presence and get them back to playing football.
This year it just seems like the aggressiveness was turned up a notch.... or ten!

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
Re: Scrimmages - are they becoming more out of control?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 05:23:52 PM »
There is very little you can do at a scrimmage.  This is their practice and if they want their players to act that way, then just sit back and enjoy the entertainment.  The good news is that they are done and are only 2 weeks long each year.  The "live action" is now upon us. 

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 08:13:01 PM »
Easiest thing in the world to control. Simply tell the coach if it happens again, you and the crew are leaving!

pi1eOn
" I don't make the rules coach!"

texref

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 08:49:46 PM »
Easiest thing in the world to control. Simply tell the coach if it happens again, you and the crew are leaving!

pi1eOn

Amen!

tflip5

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 10:58:31 AM »
I have more trouble with coaches than players.  I know coaches are trying to see what their players are doing, but it seems that more coaches and subs stay on the field and get closer and closer to the line on every play.  When I ask them to get back, the get HACKED and say they are just trying to see.  These are the same guys who can see a missed call from 80 yards!!!

I finally got the head coaches together and told them that I was stopping play when they weren't in position and that if they got in our way we would stop on the play.  If one of their players got injured on the play - oh well.  We can't do our job if they don't take care of their business.

I can't do it, but I want so badly to ask a coach "how many times will you correct a player before you send him to the sidelines?"  But, we have to continually correct the "teachers"!!!!

You find out what kind of coaching staff you are dealing with at scrimmages.  Coaches with control and class help you - the other kind are the ones you have to put up with.

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 03:15:27 PM »
I know that some of our members don't even use a Referee.  They tell the coaches they are responsible for their QB's.  Trying to work Referee with all those coaches in the way is a waste of time because you spend more time dodging them than officiating.  Let them blow the whistle to protect the QB.

Offline Welpe

• FAN REACTION: +28/-11
Scrimmages - are they becoming more out of control?
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 09:31:53 PM »
I know that some of our members don't even use a Referee.  They tell the coaches they are responsible for their QB's.  Trying to work Referee with all those coaches in the way is a waste of time because you spend more time dodging them than officiating.  Let them blow the whistle to protect the QB.

I like this idea. It is almost pointless to work R in a scrimmage having to dodge all of the coaches.

It cracked me up last Friday at a scrimmage. There was a long gain which sent both squads running down the field. There were just as many coaches running behind them hooting and hollering.

Ah the season is upon us.