Author Topic: Scrimmage Kicks and Bean Bags  (Read 5067 times)

Offline BoBo

• FAN REACTION: +1/-1
Scrimmage Kicks and Bean Bags
« on: September 17, 2010, 10:57:24 AM »
So I would to hear some opinions or a civil discussion in regards to bean bags and scrimmage kicks (punts)

1. We/BJ are now using a white bean bag to indicate the end of the kick and also first touching by K. (My BJ is the only one carrying two colors.)

2. We/BJ are using a blue bag for any fumbles on kicks and any other fumbles on a scrimmage play and free kick.

For punts we understand how important first touching is thus why by rule we drop a bag at that point for reference. In addition the same goes for the end of the kick for PSK enforcement if needed.

The question that has come up in our circles is what should we do if anything when R muffs a punt or has a punt hit them by mistake thus creating a free ball?

Do you currently drop a bag to recognize that R has touched the ball? I know this touching point means absolutely zero as far as reference point. In addition I am aware we can not advance the muff or touch also.

The play in question is ball comes down hits the ground and bounces towards R goal line. As it rolls it just grazes R. K not sure if it has touched has to decide to recover the ball asap and hope that it did touch R or let the ball continue to roll towards R goal line hoping to pin them even deeper. With this scenario do they now risk the chance of R recovering the ball and maintaining the possession.

People here think we should maybe bag the muff so if K is aware of the officials mechanic they are aware it is a loose ball.

I know it is not a mechanic at any level that I am aware of but should it be??

Just interested in what others think and would like to hear some feed back.
 ^talk

Sorry so long in the explanation.

Hope everyone has a great Friday night!

Offline lawdog

• FAN REACTION: +3/-17
Re: Scrimmage Kicks and Bean Bags
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 11:21:24 AM »
We were discussing this in pregame last Friday.  Used to be they told the BJ to carry two bags so you could mark a fumble after you've marked the end of the kick for PSK.  Now they say carry two colors and mark the first touching and the end of the kick with different colors. But they were supposed to have two before to cover a subsequent fumble so don't they need three now?  what if you have first touching, then the kick is picked up by R and ends and they advance it, then the R guy fumbles?!? The BJ's are going to need a holster belt to carry all these bags pretty soon!!!!

Offline BoBo

• FAN REACTION: +1/-1
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 11:33:26 AM »
you also have your hat that can be used. im sure years ago it seemed most officials only carried one bag and many still do. :P

Rav4

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 06:15:39 AM »
For "R" touching some BJ's use the same signal as a tipped pass to show that "R" has touched the kick.  It shows everyone that he saw the touch and it's a free ball.

john3459

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 11:39:48 AM »
Great idea Rav4, that will be in my pre-game this Friday. Thanks!!

KFox1979

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 12:04:36 AM »
The "legal touching" signal seems appropriate.  Why would you beanbag a spot that you don't need for any purpose?  Also, I don't think many teams really care a whole lot about our mechanics. :)

john3459

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 09:45:46 AM »
Teams don't....coaches do!! A good chance one of the coaches will see a touching signal or a bean bag, if not during the play then in film review. Also our mechanics are for us not the coaches. This type of crew communication will keep you out of trouble in a sticky situation.

Offline James

• FAN REACTION: +7/-6
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 04:51:05 AM »
I agree that the legal touching signal should be used instead of a bag. It is more obvious and you don'T have to run around trying to find it after the play!