Author Topic: Detroit Dallas Flag  (Read 10498 times)

Offline FLAHL

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
Detroit Dallas Flag
« on: January 04, 2015, 07:18:37 PM »
 I live in Tampa and was born in Pittsburgh, so I didn't have a dog in this fight. But, wow!  Obviously I wasn't on the field and don't know what the officials talked about. My guess is that one official threw the flag and another official disagreed. At that point, what happens?  Did the stronger personality win out?  Since the crew was an "all-star" crew, and not a regular crew, how does the white hat break the tie?  What a mess. 

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
Re: Detroit Dallas Flag
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 07:34:53 PM »
It was ugly.  And I'm guessing that crew just worked its last game of the year.

Pereira had just gotten through explaining why it was a good call when they wave off the flag with no real explanation.  Ouch.

For those that didn't see it, Detroit was driving, had 3 & 1 at the B46.  Stafford's pass was incomplete but certainly appeared to be DPI.  The flag was thrown, we see replays and hear the good call comments, and when they come back from replay, the flag is waived off.  Instead of 1st and 10 from the B35 with a 3 point lead and about 8:00 to play, Detroit has to punt, Dallas drives and scores and wins by 4.  I am NOT saying that call cost the Lions the game, no one call ever does.  But it was a critical change of a call and had a significant effect.

Offline Cowman52

• FAN REACTION: +7/-2
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 07:55:15 PM »
I'm a little on the side of picking up the flag.  The dpi in the NFL has about got to the point about to the edge.  The Dallas defender had position between the receiver and the quarterback, and the ball hits him more or less right between the numbers.  The contact was minimal and had no affect on the catch not being made, it was just a poor throw or a throw to draw a flag.  I'm sure the crew is in deep do-do and the NFL will swear up,and down, privately, it was a bad call, but the dpi needs a little revamping.

Offline Wingmanbp

• FAN REACTION: +5/-7
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 09:05:43 PM »
They defender in no way impeded the route. It was the right call and yes I am partial but I would see that either way. I couldn't believe they threw the flag because the only contact was from the reciever. And the funny thing is the announcers were wanting face guarding but he wasn't blocking anything until the ball hit him in the back

Offline Atlanta Blue

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 09:18:52 PM »
1.  There is no such thing as face guarding in the NFL (or the NCAA for that matter).
2.  The reason Pereria and others felt it was DPI was that the defender never played the ball, and contacted the receiver.  Yes, he was between the receiver and the QB, but he never faced the QB or the ball, he ran over the receiver when the receiver slowed. 
3.  Whether it was or wasn't DPI isn't even the point.  The mechanics of throwing the flag, ANNOUNCING the foul, THEN picking up the flag with no explanation was horrible mechanics.

Offline Ump62

• FAN REACTION: +3/-0

Offline dvasques

• FAN REACTION: +13/-2
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 12:24:12 AM »
what drives me crazy about Morelli's explanation to pick up the flag is when he says in the NCAA faceguarding is a foul

IT ISN'T!!!

Offline Reverend30

• FAN REACTION: +1/-2
  • NVFOA/EAIFO (Mass.)
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 04:14:49 AM »
1.  There is no such thing as face guarding in the NFL (or the NCAA for that matter).

Out of curiosity, where IS there faceguarding?  As a deep official that's what I hear from the stands more than anything -- is it a Fed rule?  (I'm in Mass., using NCAA rules in HS games as well as college games)

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/id/12121292/referee-pete-morelli-explains-overturned-pass-interference-call-dallas-cowboys-detroit-lions-wild-card-game

In this story, the author also says face guarding is a penalty in NCAA rules; no editors at ESPN.com?

Offline goodgrr

• Roger Goodgroves
  • FAN REACTION: +13/-12
  • We are always learning
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 04:50:47 AM »
At the end of the day it's a judgement call.  I personally felt it was DPI however what puzzles me is that these guys have internal comms equipment.

IF one of the other officials saw something that could influence the flag then it surely would have been on him to immediately get on the system and say "hang on Pete, I think we need to discuss this one".

The WH then doesn't make the crew look stupid and they get together to discuss.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 04:53:36 AM by goodgrr »

Offline Atlanta Blue

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2015, 06:35:22 AM »
Out of curiosity, where IS there faceguarding?  As a deep official that's what I hear from the stands more than anything -- is it a Fed rule?  (I'm in Mass., using NCAA rules in HS games as well as college games)
Yes, it's a FED rule.  However the next time I see it called might well be the first.

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2015, 07:22:27 AM »
Yes, it's a FED rule.  However the next time I see it called might well be the first.

Come to my neck of the woods, AB.  :)

And I was almost as surprised about the flag being picked up after it was announced as I was that Dez Bryant didn't get flagged for coming onto the field.  That, to me, was the more egregious non-call.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 07:31:08 AM by VALJ »

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2015, 11:04:47 AM »
Come to my neck of the woods, AB.  :)

Or mine.  Nowadays, this seems to be the most frequent reason for DPI in our games.

Offline Wingmanbp

• FAN REACTION: +5/-7
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2015, 11:47:50 AM »
Of course the facemask by Pettegew was probably what pulled Hitchens into him and the reason he couldn't turn his head to the ball

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2015, 01:06:56 PM »
2.  The reason Pereria and others felt it was DPI was that the defender never played the ball, and contacted the receiver.  Yes, he was between the receiver and the QB, but he never faced the QB or the ball, he ran over the receiver when the receiver slowed. 
3.  Whether it was or wasn't DPI isn't even the point.  The mechanics of throwing the flag, ANNOUNCING the foul, THEN picking up the flag with no explanation was horrible mechanics.

The Referee has acknowledged he may have acted too quickly in announcing what he BUTT/u/med was the call before recognizing there was a differing conclusion.  However, once recognizing the possibility of a dispute, he consulted with his crew members, got their input and made a decision (presumably) based on that input to get the call (what they believe, RIGHT).

As might be expected, or at least anticipated, some TV announcers and a bevy of arm chair experts, given the advantage of repetitive replays, opinions, assessments (right and wrong) disagree producing the still (and hopefully long continuing) impact of "So what", as the game continues on.

Total perfection is a laudable goal, but an ever elusive objective. If all the arguments, disputes, challenges of decisions were somehow removed from the game, would it remain as popular and as enjoyable?

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2015, 01:21:57 PM »
Or mine.  Nowadays, this seems to be the most frequent reason for DPI in our games.

Well, other than the one time I totally brain cramped and told a coach the face guarding wasn't DPI under Fed rules, anyway.  I asked my crewmates at halftime and told the coach before the start of the half that I totally kicked that one.  Since they were up by 32 points at the half, it didn't cause a problem the rest of the game, and I've only botched it that one time...

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2015, 01:36:04 PM »
Well, other than the one time I totally brain cramped and told a coach the face guarding wasn't DPI under Fed rules, anyway.  I asked my crewmates at halftime and told the coach before the start of the half that I totally kicked that one.  Since they were up by 32 points at the half, it didn't cause a problem the rest of the game, and I've only botched it that one time...

Another example of a "Football Gods" maxim;  When you make a RULE mistake in the 1st half, and discover it during discussion in the intermission, NOT acknowledging and correcting your error with BOTH Teams will insure the same scenario repeating in the 2nd half, leaving you squarely between a rock and a hard place.

Whereas "fessing up" will almost guarantee it will not repeat, and BOTH teams will respect your honesty.

Offline dvasques

• FAN REACTION: +13/-2
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2015, 04:28:23 PM »
Drives me insane that not one soul in the NFL officiating organization has been told faceguarding is NOT a foul in college...
This time, the head of officiating for the NFL has also said it is a foul.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000454572/article/dean-blandino-picking-up-flag-was-debatable

And he started saying it's not a foul in the NCAA and he then corrects himself!!!!!

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2015, 07:16:51 PM »
And just think of how many with NFL connections are collegiate supervisors!  pi1eOn
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline SD_Casey

• FAN REACTION: +8/-1
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2015, 12:41:50 AM »

I was at a 5 man clinic.  Fed rules.  Working B and I called a DPI for faceguarding.  NFL SJ clinician laughed and told me that it's something I could probably pass on.  He did know that it was DPI in fed rules and also that it was not in NCAA/NFL.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2015, 08:37:20 AM »
The call = many of us can agree to disagree on. In slo-mo, stop action, zoom-in, etc; it's hard to tell...many of us would ^flag and many more   ^no would not.

The mechanics = we all agree was not handled well. Our communication to the outside world (coaches,media,frenzied masses) is mostly regarding penalty enforcement and needs to be concise.

The "bad call" = IMHO, was the confusion and indecisiveness, not the call itself. tiphat: