Author Topic: Play Clock - Administrative Stoppage  (Read 3061 times)

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +99/-283
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
Play Clock - Administrative Stoppage
« on: September 03, 2019, 09:57:16 AM »
Question has come up (again) that doesn't want to go away.  When we have an administrative stoppage to take care of an equipment problem (helmet off, shoe off, etc) or an on-field injury, what is the correct time to set on the play clock when the play clock and possibly game clock are next started on the R's RFP signal?

Is it:

1. If the 40 sec play clock had not been running at the time of the stoppage, set to 25 seconds and go.
2. If the 40 sec play clock had not been running at the time of the stoppage, set to 40 seconds and go.
3. If the 40 sec play clock had been running at the time of the stoppage, simply continue with the remaining time.
4. If the 40 sec play clock had been running at the time of the stoppage, reset to 40 seconds and go.
5. If the 40 sec play clock had been running at the time of the stoppage, reset to 25 seconds and go.
6. Some other guidance?

We had apparently decided based on our NFHS guidance that for all administrative stoppages that resulted in an interruption of a running play clock, or when the play clock had not yet started, we would start with a 25 second clock but there now (here in MA) seems to be questions about this issue. What say you?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 10:18:17 AM by NVFOA_Ump »
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Re: Play Clock - Administrative Stoppage
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2019, 10:25:44 AM »
Question has come up (again) that doesn't want to go away.  When we have an administrative stoppage to take care of an equipment problem (helmet off, shoe off, etc) or an on-field injury, what is the correct time to set on the play clock when the play clock and possibly game clock are next started on the R's RFP signal?

Is it:

1. If the 40 sec play clock had not been running at the time of the stoppage, set to 25 seconds and go. My first question is why is the :40 not running? If it's because it's not supposed to be running, then it's because the game situation calls for a :25 (either a score, start of period, etc... If that's the case, there's no question. Fix the issue and set to :25.
2. If the 40 sec play clock had not been running at the time of the stoppage, set to 40 seconds and go. See above.
3. If the 40 sec play clock had been running at the time of the stoppage, simply continue with the remaining time. If the :40 has to be interrupted for any reason, we have inserted ourselves into the game. Reset to :25.
4. If the 40 sec play clock had been running at the time of the stoppage, reset to 40 seconds and go. If we have to interrupt for any reason, reset to :25.
5. If the 40 sec play clock had been running at the time of the stoppage, reset to 25 seconds and go. Yes.
6. Some other guidance? one other suggestion - if replacing a player because of a helmet coming off doesn't disrupt the flow, don't disrupt the flow. Let them swap out and keep on moving. If you have to stop the clock to make him go, reset to :25. Same thing with other equipment issues. If the player is taking care of it and can do so without any help, let them do so while A is wondering what play they will call next. If they can't get it fixed before everybody is ready, stop the clock, reset to :25.

Any time there's an injury, we are resetting to :25.
We had apparently decided based on our NFHS guidance that for all administrative stoppages that resulted in an interruption of a running play clock, or when the play clock had not yet started, we would start with a 25 second clock but there now (here in MA) seems to be questions about this issue. What say you?

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2019, 10:32:53 AM »
If you stop it- it goes to :25.

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +257/-8
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2019, 11:50:24 AM »
Calhoun covers this well. NCAA does set it to 40 after a defensive helmet off or defensive injury to prevent B from gaining a time advantage at the end of the half is A is burning clock. It applies throughout the game but is really only impactful at the end of a half. I could see NFHS doing this eventually, but I don't think it's critical. The first time a team isn't able to run out the clock because a defensive player sustained an injury it will be considered.

Offline KWH

• FAN REACTION: +633/-113
  • See it, Think about it, Pass on it if possible!
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2019, 02:56:26 AM »

I agree with Brian most of the time!
SEE everything that you CALL, but; Don't CALL everything you SEE!
Never let the Rules Book get in the way of a great ball game!

Respectfully Submitted;
Some guy on a message forum

Offline Stinterp

• FAN REACTION: +4/-16
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2019, 01:09:46 PM »
ALL administrative stoppages go to :25

Offline ucanfindmj

• FAN REACTION: +1/-10
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2019, 10:52:05 AM »
I made the mistake of saying that all administrative stoppages go to :25 to the play clock operator pre-game.  He set it to :25 for every first down.  Be more specific is the lesson I learned.

Offline ilyazhito

• FAN REACTION: +11/-13
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2019, 02:54:52 PM »
ALL administrative stoppages go to :25
Except 1st downs, because they are usually preceded by a running play or a passing play with a completed pass. The action is not interrupted with a 1st down, only the game clock is stopped.

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2019, 08:45:21 AM »
Since "Administrative stoppage" isn't defined in the rule book, I would state that a first down is not an administrative stoppage, but rather administrative stoppages are those defined by 3-6-1a(1).

Boom. Problem is solved on your end. I'll expect my Nobel prize in the mail.  aWaRd

Slightly more seriously, defining something that is not officially defined just to create an exception to the definition seems unnecessary.

Offline ucanfindmj

• FAN REACTION: +1/-10
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2019, 10:51:28 AM »
So what does a team do when facing away from the clock and there is 1.2 seconds remaining on the game clock in the 4th quarter and the R will use a silent wind.  How will a QB know when to snap the ball before time expires?

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2019, 10:54:18 AM »
When the umpire moves away to his position, A can snap the ball. The U will not move until the R gives him the signal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2019, 11:22:51 AM »
If you stop it- it goes to :25.
what he said.