Author Topic: Roughing the Passer  (Read 2349 times)

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +99/-283
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
Roughing the Passer
« on: November 08, 2019, 05:38:05 AM »
A bit of a philosophical question here.  When soon to be passer A11 is under duress and running for his life he is "facemasked" (PF variety) by B91 just before, or as he starts his throwing motion and actually throws a legal forward pass.  We've always been instructed in our past rule review sessions that all PF's against the passer as he is beginning his throwing motion or after he has released the ball for a legal forward pass will be enforced as roughing the passer.  What say you?
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Re: Roughing the Passer
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 05:46:12 AM »
I’ve always considered a PF face mask on the QB while in the act of throwing a pass to be roughing the passer. The exact timing of the foul related to the pass is less important than the fact that he actually passed the ball during the process.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2019, 07:09:37 AM »
I’ve always considered a PF face mask on the QB while in the act of throwing a pass to be roughing the passer. The exact timing of the foul related to the pass is less important than the fact that he actually passed the ball during the process.

Agree.  It’s pretty easy to explain to B’s coach that “By rule, any PF against the passer is RTP.” 

That’s in the unlikely event that he even questions you.

Offline scrounge

• FAN REACTION: +35/-23
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2019, 08:19:23 AM »
A bit of a philosophical question here.  When soon to be passer A11 is under duress and running for his life he is "facemasked" (PF variety) by B91 just before, or as he starts his throwing motion and actually throws a legal forward pass.  We've always been instructed in our past rule review sessions that all PF's against the passer as he is beginning his throwing motion or after he has released the ball for a legal forward pass will be enforced as roughing the passer.  What say you?

It's not even a matter of philosophy, actually, it's part of the black letter rule, explicitly listed. 9-4-4 states:  "No defensive player shall commit any illegal personal contact foul listed in 9-4-3 against the passer." A face mask PF is one of those listed in 9-4-3

Offline PABJNR

• FAN REACTION: +12/-3
  • When a whistle stops a play it is inadvertent
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2019, 08:35:26 AM »
Not a 5 yard face mask though, that’s still just a 5 yard face mask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You don't have to call everything you see...but you have to see everything you call!

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +99/-283
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2019, 09:22:48 AM »
It's not even a matter of philosophy, actually, it's part of the black letter rule, explicitly listed. 9-4-4 states:  "No defensive player shall commit any illegal personal contact foul listed in 9-4-3 against the passer." A face mask PF is one of those listed in 9-4-3

Issue is a bit more subtle than that.  Since by rule the "passer" does not become the passer until he has released a legal forward pass, the real question is just before or as the ball carrier has started his passing motion and is fouled (a 9-4-3 foul) and actually gets off a legal forward pass (now he is the passer), would you treat that foul as roughing the passer?
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2019, 09:53:47 AM »
Yes

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2019, 01:43:49 PM »
Not a 5 yard face mask though, that’s still just a 5 yard face mask.

...and with that, the automatic first down and tack on if a completed pass are gone.