Author Topic: More Kicking Play Questions  (Read 885 times)

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +99/-283
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
More Kicking Play Questions
« on: October 25, 2022, 10:36:04 AM »
Several field goal attempt questions.  What is the succeeding spot of each of these:

A attempts a field goal on 4th and 6 from the B-29, the kick is wide left and:

1.  The kick is caught on the fly 3 yards deep in the EZ by a B player and returns the ball to the B-18

2.  The kick is caught on the fly at the 1 by a B player who steps OB 1 yard deep in the EZ

3.  The kick is yanked left and goes OB at the B-2
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline PABJNR

• FAN REACTION: +12/-3
  • When a whistle stops a play it is inadvertent
Re: More Kicking Play Questions
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2022, 11:30:44 AM »
Several field goal attempt questions.  What is the succeeding spot of each of these:

A attempts a field goal on 4th and 6 from the B-29, the kick is wide left and:

1.  The kick is caught on the fly 3 yards deep in the EZ by a B player and returns the ball to the B-18

2.  The kick is caught on the fly at the 1 by a B player who steps OB 1 yard deep in the EZ

3.  The kick is yanked left and goes OB at the B-2
1. Touchback, 1&10 for B @B20.
2. Momentum, 1&10 for B @ B1 (make sure there was definite possession by B or R prior to breaking GL)
3. A field goal is nothing more than a scrimmage kick that can score points, 1&10 for B at B2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You don't have to call everything you see...but you have to see everything you call!

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2022, 11:31:48 AM »
2. Momentum, 1&10 for B @ B1 (make sure there was definite possession by B or R prior to breaking GL)
3. A field goal is nothing more than a scrimmage kick that can score points, 1&10 for B at B2.

^good

Offline TSHunt

• FAN REACTION: +2/-0
  • Back Judge
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2022, 01:57:21 PM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^good
In memory of everyone's favorite 30-yard penalty (19XX-2023)

Offline zebraken

• FAN REACTION: +1/-3
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2022, 04:59:09 PM »
#2. Catching a kick then taking a step back wouldn’t necessarily satisfy the momentum exception rule.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2022, 06:05:50 PM »
Catching a kick then taking a step back wouldn’t necessarily satisfy the momentum exception rule.

"caught on the fly at the 1 by a B player who steps OB 1 yard deep"

That's at least 6 feet.  That's more than a step.  Plus I don't see where the number of steps has anything to do with the momentum exception anyway.
"an R player catches or recovers a scrimmage kick or free kick between his 5-yard line and the goal line, and his original momentum carries him into the end zone where the ball remains in the end zone and is declared dead in the end zone "

Offline zebraken

• FAN REACTION: +1/-3
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2022, 08:17:51 PM »
My point being, of course original momentum is what we have to rule on and this particular play, like most plays that we discuss, would be something that I’d have to see to decide whether it was momentum or or a voluntary action that put him one step back in the zone. As I’m absolutely sure you know, that would make a difference.