Author Topic: "Foul" and "Penalty": They are not the same  (Read 2608 times)

Offline dvasques

• FAN REACTION: +13/-2
"Foul" and "Penalty": They are not the same
« on: August 02, 2013, 01:05:10 AM »
interesting documents from CFO that can be very well used here in Brasil in getting to educate some new officials, but this one has an interesting passage

"In football there is no penalty unless there is a foul, but it is certainly possible to have a foul and no penalty."

But that is not true anymore with the review of targeting being able to un-disqualify a player, essencialy saying that he didn't commit a foul, but keeping the 15 yard penalty. So as of this year, there is a penalty without a foul in football

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +109/-35
Re: "Foul" and "Penalty": They are not the same
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 03:59:13 AM »
Not really, it is still a foul for unnecessary roughness.

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 09:40:45 AM »
interesting documents from CFO that can be very well used here in Brasil in getting to educate some new officials, but this one has an interesting passage

"In football there is no penalty unless there is a foul, but it is certainly possible to have a foul and no penalty."

But that is not true anymore with the review of targeting being able to un-disqualify a player, essencialy saying that he didn't commit a foul, but keeping the 15 yard penalty. So as of this year, there is a penalty without a foul in football

Whether the player is disqualified or not the penalty (15 yards) still applies. Review cannot cancel the penalty only the ejection.
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline dvasques

• FAN REACTION: +13/-2
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 10:28:28 AM »
Alright, Kalle, you just gave me a good explanation for taking away the DQ and keeping the 15 yards!!! Thanks man... now it makes sense in my mind