Author Topic: Iowa high school QB ejected after complaining to ref about opponent yelling...  (Read 2772 times)

Offline Official_21

• FAN REACTION: +9/-0
  • What on earth have I gotten myself into???
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/more-sports/iowa-high-school-qb-ejected-after-complaining-to-ref-about-opponent-yelling-a-racial-slur/ar-AAP6s1M?ocid=msedgdhp

Not sure how I would handle this if I was an on field official.
Would be hard to find out who actually said the racial slur (IE if it was coming from the stand or opposing team).

How would you have handled this if you were the R or other on field official?

P.S Situations like these make me thankful I am up in the pressbox running the clock  ;D 

Online dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
If I believe it likely something racial was said, if I’m not the R and I hear a complaint like that, I am immediately killing the clock and running to the R to let him know about the situation. What I would ideally like the R to do, is to then call a conference with both coaches and tell them what was told to us/what we heard, and have them reiterate to their teams the severe consequences that will occur if we actually DO hear something from one of the players like that. If I thought it was in the stands, I’m getting a game administrator involved at least to make them aware.

I’m in the typical demographic group for officials and I’ve never experience this but this is one area where I absolutely have zero tolerance. If I was confident I heard a player say something like that - and I was confident enough in what I heard, and by whom - he’s off the field, and Coach if you so much as utter a peep in protest, after I tell you why, you’re gone too.  Same for anyone else that argues. Lower than zero tolerance from me in things like that. And if I were reprimanded or punished for tossing them, I don’t care. I unequivocally will not tolerate that in a game I have responsibility for.

Primarily for personal reasons. But from a game management perspective you’re open going to regret letting that slide, esp if reported to you, and an on-field brawl erupts because you didn’t want to deal with it.

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
If I believe it likely something racial was said, if I’m not the R and I hear a complaint like that, I am immediately killing the clock and running to the R to let him know about the situation. What I would ideally like the R to do, is to then call a conference with both coaches and tell them what was told to us/what we heard, and have them reiterate to their teams the severe consequences that will occur if we actually DO hear something from one of the players like that. If I thought it was in the stands, I’m getting a game administrator involved at least to make them aware.

I’m in the typical demographic group for officials and I’ve never experience this but this is one area where I absolutely have zero tolerance. If I was confident I heard a player say something like that - and I was confident enough in what I heard, and by whom - he’s off the field, and Coach if you so much as utter a peep in protest, after I tell you why, you’re gone too.  Same for anyone else that argues. Lower than zero tolerance from me in things like that. And if I were reprimanded or punished for tossing them, I don’t care. I unequivocally will not tolerate that in a game I have responsibility for.

Primarily for personal reasons. But from a game management perspective you’re open going to regret letting that slide, esp if reported to you, and an on-field brawl erupts because you didn’t want to deal with it.

What would you do if both teams were 99% black teams?  Had this happen is a Junior College game once and that was the only language that I heard.

Online dammitbobby

Did someone complain about it to you? Did you think it was intended to insult or degrade the other teams players?  Were the recipients offended?

I get your point though.

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Thing is, we can’t act on what someone said they heard. While the comment surely could have been made, it could also be an attempt to draw a penalty on the other team. It’s happened to me before, and my response has been, “if we hear it we will take care of it, but if we don’t hear it we can’t do anything about it.”

If the official hears it himself, action should immediately be taken. My personal opinion is ejection as opposed to just an USC.

Obviously the official heard the language of the QB directed at him so he was justified in his response.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
If the official hears it himself, action should immediately be taken. My personal opinion is ejection as opposed to just an USC.

In NC it would be. 

I've noticed this type of complaint from players and then the coaches becoming a bit more common over the past few years.  Working primarily as a wing, I don't actually recall ever having an incident that I personally identified as occurring.  As you said, there isn't much we can do unless we do.

Offline stevegarbs

• FAN REACTION: +4/-2
Thing is, we can’t act on what someone said they heard. While the comment surely could have been made, it could also be an attempt to draw a penalty on the other team. It’s happened to me before, and my response has been, “if we hear it we will take care of it, but if we don’t hear it we can’t do anything about it.”

Obviously the official heard the language of the QB directed at him so he was justified in his response.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Illinois has now included a Hate Speech and Harrassment policy where we had to watch a training video before this season. If we hear hate speech on the field we are to eject the player. If it is reported to us by a coach that hate speech was used, we are to find a natural break in the action and directly question the accused player as to whether he admits using such language. If he admits it, he is ejected. It he denies it, we are to tell him we are being extra vigilant and if we hear anything like that again he will be ejected. And the instructions specifically tell us to not use any similarities in demographics of the opposing team to excuse such language.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2021, 10:09:30 AM by stevegarbs »

Offline zebrastripes

• FAN REACTION: +9/-11
If I hear it and know who said it, it's an ejection.

If I hear it and don't know who said it, I let both coaches know their teams are on notice.

If I don't hear it, I tell the complainer I'll listen but I can't penalize something based on hearsay.

Under no circumstances am I letting a player or coach curse at me or my crewmates, regardless of whether we missed something or not.

Online dammitbobby

^^what I meant to say, he said it better.

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
I was rereading this article and came across this paragraph: "Toward the end of the football game, an Earlham football player reported that an inappropriate racial slur was directed at him by a member of the Southwest Valley team. Additionally, at the conclusion of the football game accusations were made of inappropriate and aggressive fan and spectator behavior." We had this happen to us at a game last year, only it was the head coach of one of the teams who made the accusations. His team lost by less than a score, and he was mad at us. He turns in a report to the state accusing one of my crew members ( the one who didn't make what he thought was the OPI call that would have helped his cause) of cussing one of his players and calling him the n-word. (Just for clarification, the crew member is black.) Then he accused us of cheating the entire game, going so far as to claim we gave the opposing coach a "thumbs-up" as we left the field, which he interpreted as, "We did it, coach. Made sure you won....".

I share this to point out that while many allegations are true, some are not. Coaches, players, and fans will do almost anything if they think it will help them save face or avoid the blame for a loss. I'm not saying this was the case at all in this situation, but I am saying without confirming evidence, allegations have to be taken with a grain of salt, common-sense, and the benefit of the doubt.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
I asked an African- American official for his response if two African-American players were directing the "N-word" toward each other. He replied that it wouldn't be a racial slur, but it would be profanity, in his mind. He would warn the players that if he heard that again it would be a foul and would mention that if their white teammates heard that, they might feel it was OK for them to use it ,too.

IMHO, this seems like a good path to follow.

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
I asked an African- American official for his response if two African-American players were directing the "N-word" toward each other. He replied that it wouldn't be a racial slur, but it would be profanity, in his mind. He would warn the players that if he heard that again it would be a foul and would mention that if their white teammates heard that, they might feel it was OK for them to use it ,too.

IMHO, this seems like a good path to follow.
All due respect to Ralph, but I see it differently.
To preface, I absolutely live in the real world and understand the real world nuances of language/words when folks say certain things to like folks.
However, when I write up my ejection report to the State, it seems rather cut/dry to say, "player X called player Y 'n-word'." - I'll let the state sort out the other issues of how they'll handle it as far as suspensions/fines, etc. regarding race, religion, creed, et al.

If we allow N to be said because they're of the like race, what's next in the rabbit hole? - making sure whatever slur was said from Moretti to Rossi is OK and not Moretti to O'Malley...or was it Muhamed saying it to Amir and not to Suzuki.

Of course if Suzuki says something to Tanaka is OK, but if Suzuki said it to Nguyen we got problems.

That rabbit's hole is way to deep for multiple if/thens and trying to understand the real world between the white lines

« Last Edit: October 05, 2021, 10:40:26 AM by TampaSteve »

Offline Ralph Damren

A post under WAR STORIES ,topic : FROM THE MOUTHS OF COACHES 2018, Reply # 15; deals with the topic and how we involved a coach. I don't have the website-know how to move it here, but did move it to the top for those interested. 

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
All due respect to Ralph, but I see it differently.
To preface, I absolutely live in the real world and understand the real world nuances of language/words when folks say certain things to like folks.
However, when I write up my ejection report to the State, it seems rather cut/dry to say, "player X called player Y 'n-word'." - I'll let the state sort out the other issues of how they'll handle it as far as suspensions/fines, etc. regarding race, religion, creed, et al.

If we allow N to be said because they're of the like race, what's next in the rabbit hole? - making sure whatever slur was said from Moretti to Rossi is OK and not Moretti to O'Malley...or was it Muhamed saying it to Amir and not to Suzuki.

Of course if Suzuki says something to Tanaka is OK, but if Suzuki said it to Nguyen we got problems.

That rabbit's hole is way to deep for multiple if/thens and trying to understand the real world between the white lines

Agreed.  We need to remember that the rules apply equally to all participants.  The last I checked there are no exceptions to these rules.  If it's wrong for this guy to say it then it's wrong for that guy to say it as well. 

Offline clearwall

• FAN REACTION: +14/-13
I find it hard to justify EJECTING the kid for this. You have a tool to get him to shut his mouth if it's really that bad, use it. I totally understand frowning on the racial slur but ejecting the kid because he went overboard complaining about it seems wrong too. If you cant calm him down, flag him and try that first

Offline yarnnelg

• FAN REACTION: +55/-37
Attempt reading skills first.

The Quarterback's statement.

"but Matchem was ejected after he was penalized for swearing at the referee about it." 

The crew may not have heard the racial slur .....but the Quarterback swearing at the Ref about it,  is reason enough to throw him out.

Offline Ralph Damren

...And so often, the player that throws the second punch is the one that gets caught  ??? P_S.

Offline GA Umpire

• Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +30/-3
...And so often, the player that throws the second punch is the one that gets caught  ??? P_S.

Amen! pray:;

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
An excellent description of "Pandora's Box".  IF YOU PERSONALLY HEAR a "negative" racial comment from a player, coach or sideline participant immediate EJECTION is appropriate.  Allowing that "Box" to remain open, unchecked is almost a guarantee there will be additional instances to deal with.

When such comment is anonymous (reported to you) a private word, within each huddle, that any repetition will result in automatic ejection and identification in the "Game Report", for possible further consequence, may prove helpful in preventing further similar behavior.  Alerting both Head Coach's of these conversations is suggested.