Author Topic: Video you make the call  (Read 8754 times)

Offline NorCalMike

• FAN REACTION: +23/-8
Video you make the call
« on: October 09, 2015, 02:36:43 PM »
What would you call here?

ECILLJ

Re: Video you make the call
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 02:50:29 PM »
This is a vicious illegal block below the waist  ^flag. The BJ should have had this one.   :(

DB Personal Foul Unnecessary Roughness? I'm okay with that.  yEs:

Ejection? I'm okay with that.  yEs:
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 02:59:23 PM by ECILLJ »

Offline edtude

• FAN REACTION: +6/-0
  • Just a target for Running Backs and Tight Ends....
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 02:57:39 PM »
Wow unbelievable no call. If the kid had been aware of anything but his intent to take out the defender he would have seen the ball bounce in front of him before he probably ended his opponents season. Horrible no call.

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 03:01:26 PM »
I don't know that I would call it "vicious", but it's clearly a BBW foul.  15 yards.

Technically, it's a dead ball foul.  15 yards from the previous spot.  From the look of the chains , there was more than 15 yards to go, so it would be the following down.  I hope that wasn't 4th down.

ECILLJ

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 03:05:35 PM »
I don't know that I would call it "vicious"

I'm not sure we can define it as subtle.  :!#

Offline GAHSUMPIRE

• FAN REACTION: +19/-3
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2015, 03:11:06 PM »
Deleting earlier post
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 03:15:46 PM by GAHSUMPIRE »

Offline Stinterp

• FAN REACTION: +4/-16
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2015, 03:15:06 PM »
This was a pass play.

Offline GAHSUMPIRE

• FAN REACTION: +19/-3
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2015, 03:16:42 PM »
This was a pass play.

sorry about that. I was focused on the other side of the screen and didn't see how th play began.
forget what I said- I deleted it

Offline scrounge

• FAN REACTION: +35/-23
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2015, 03:21:39 PM »
I don't know that I would call it "vicious", but it's clearly a BBW foul.  15 yards.

Really? I think the main discussion after the play should be whether it's an ejection or not. Looked pretty malicious to me.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2015, 03:22:19 PM »

Technically, it's a dead ball foul.  15 yards from the previous spot.  From the look of the chains , there was more than 15 yards to go, so it would be the following down.  I hope that wasn't 4th down.

Box had "3".  For some reason, the box man started to move, then went back to his (approximate) original spot.  Looks pretty close to 15-to-go.

Offline medi-ogre

• FAN REACTION: +4/-4
  • With officials...It is a highly structured recess
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2015, 03:30:00 PM »
I see it as flagrant illegal BBW so I would lobby for ejection.

One question.  Is there any call if the receiver had caught the pass, was no longer defenseless and was tackled in this manner?  I'm guessing no?

Offline NorCalMike

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2015, 01:29:28 AM »
BJ really didn't have a good reason for no flag. After we explained the rule to him he realized how bad he screwed up. Player got an ambulance ride to the hospital and is might be done for the season. I know that throwing the flag doesn't make up for the injury, at least we punish the other team.

I made a phone call to the coach on this on for the apology. I didn't think an email was enough. I wanted him to know how unhappy we were with the call also. Our biggest problem is that we are so short people we had to give the BJ again this week. I wish we could have sat him for a week.

Offline bigjohn

• FAN REACTION: +22/-36
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2015, 08:37:30 AM »
You all are crazy, that is not a BBW. That is a vicious attack with the purpose of injuring a player. The actual definition of a Flagrant foul!

c. Flagrant—a foul so severe or extreme that it places an opponent in danger
of serious injury, and/or involves violations that are extremely or persistently
vulgar or abusive conduct

DQ at least!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 08:43:49 AM by bigjohn »

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2015, 01:02:24 PM »
DBPF with intent to punish or injure.  I think the young man has earned the rest of the night off.

Tough miss for the B.

crglass

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2015, 04:25:15 PM »
Is it really a vicious hit?  Certainly it's late and unnecessary so definitely a 15 yard penalty.  But the defender comes almost to a complete stop and drops to the ground.  He doesn't launch or do anything to make me think there is intent to injure.  After watching the video I would certainly not eject, it seems more like a defender who has lost awareness of the situation and is making a tackle against a bigger opponent.

Offline dch

• FAN REACTION: +9/-1
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2015, 09:24:39 PM »
Three receivers straight down the field.  Ball thrown deep in the middle.  Why are both flank officials still on the line of scrimmage when the pass hits the ground.  Is there only one official looking at downfield action during a pass play?  Looks like the BJ was watching the ball fall incomplete.  Can't believe the wings hadn't yet moved.  Should have been more one official observing the action once the ball was in the air.

Offline NorCalMike

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2015, 10:11:37 PM »
Three receivers straight down the field.  Ball thrown deep in the middle.  Why are both flank officials still on the line of scrimmage when the pass hits the ground.  Is there only one official looking at downfield action during a pass play?  Looks like the BJ was watching the ball fall incomplete.  Can't believe the wings hadn't yet moved.  Should have been more one official observing the action once the ball was in the air.
Not sure why they didn't move a little sooner. Most our flanks are newer guys so and still learning. We have told our new flanks that they should not move down field until their key has moved passed about 10 yards. WE don't want them moving to soon. We are trying to find a happy medium so our guys can watch the line and still get into position for rule on a catch. It is hard to teach the new guys when they should head down field and when to stay home. This is why they probably they hadn't moved yet.

Offline SouthGARef

• FAN REACTION: +10/-16
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2015, 09:32:41 AM »
Is it really a vicious hit?  Certainly it's late and unnecessary so definitely a 15 yard penalty.  But the defender comes almost to a complete stop and drops to the ground.  He doesn't launch or do anything to make me think there is intent to injure.  After watching the video I would certainly not eject, it seems more like a defender who has lost awareness of the situation and is making a tackle against a bigger opponent.

Also have to consider that with so much emphasis being put on DBs to avoid contact with a WR's head/neck area and "lowering the point of attack" that DBs are put in a very awkward position and have to make these types of decisions quickly.

Enough for a flag? Yes. Enough for an ejection? Not so sure. Have we had any issues with this team, player, or game prior to this that would lead us to believe this was an intent to injure? It's not so cut and dry.

Martin Kiff

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2015, 01:25:28 AM »
Wow,  clearly uncatchable,  clearly a defenseless player, clearly intent to injure.  And, you have a major injury.  Eject!  There is no reason a flag cannot be dropped late after a discussion between officials.  Someone, probably a flank, had to see this.  Err on the side of safty.  As the poor kid is being carted off the field walk over to the offending coach and calmly explain to him that number so and so is out and if he has a problem with that he can take it up with the league commissioner. 
 "After we explained the rule to him he realized how bad he screwed up."  We all screw up when something like this happens. 

Offline bigjohn

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2015, 08:28:40 AM »
Agree 100% with MK

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2015, 10:42:08 AM »
No question, the defensive player confronted with, what may well have been, a surprise choice, chose wrong and violated a rule, for which he definitely earned a penalty.

As for, "clearly uncatchable,  clearly a defenseless player, clearly intent to injure", that seems like an awful lot of mind reading.  Some may even favor, because of the extent of the injury, dragging the kid off the field and shooting him, but that's all based on a lot of conjecture and speculation.

As pointed out above, one of the problems with isolated film, it never shows the "tone" of the game leading up to this incident, and whether or not this had been a well played, evenly and fairly contested, well behaved competition up to this point, versus a chippy, unsportsmanlike problem, likely had some bearing on the decisions made, AS WELL THEY SHOULD.

Specific incidences are responsible for themselves, but do take place within a greater context.

Offline bigjohn

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2015, 11:18:13 AM »
It appears his buddy gave him some skin as in good job after the play! Not openly celebrating but glad it happened it appears!

Martin Kiff

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2015, 11:21:49 AM »
I played free saftey in college before another arena called and I can guarantee the player in the video knew the ball was uncatchable.  If it was catchable he would have tried to catch it.  His reaction to an overthrown ball was to punish the reciever.  These players read passes every day in practice especially a saftey who has deep coverage.  This is not youth football where you have to tell the kids to find the ball. 

Online Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2015, 01:55:40 PM »
I WOULD FLAG HIM,
I WOULD TOSS HIM, I WOULD HAVE SENT BOTH TEAMS TO THEIR SIDELINES- LETTING TEAMS HANG OUT CLOSE TOGATHER CAN CAUSE ACTIONS AND NONE ARE GOOD.....