Author Topic: Video: Holding or Not?  (Read 5063 times)

FredFan7

Video: Holding or Not?
« on: February 13, 2011, 04:23:01 PM »
On this play, the outside rusher appears to be held.  But the rusher made the sack anyway.  Do you flag it in NFHS or since there was no advantage gained out of the potential hold, do you let it go?  What if the team had been driving in the red zone - do you flag it then no matter what?

[yt=425,350]Uhg7-OLW9ac&
[/yt]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uhg7-OLW9ac&feature=related

Discuss......
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 09:20:55 AM by Grant - AR »

RickKY

Re: Video: Holding or Not?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 04:57:08 PM »
No holding since there was not enough restriction to prevent the defender from making he play.  To call holding in this play I would need to see some restriction.  Instead B fought through the A player to make the play.

jjseikel

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 06:57:00 PM »
No hold. There was virtually no restriction and no advantage gained by the A player or disadvantage to the B player.

If there was a legitimate hold and the defender still made the play, I would have a flag down even though it could be declined. A flag could "protect" team B if they also fouled by making the result a double foul.

Offline Bugolathe

• FAN REACTION: +14/-11
  • KSHSAA/Kansas
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 10:29:27 PM »
JMHO  I wouldn't call the hold unless the QB got the pass off or scrambled away from the sack.  Since the sack was made, the blocker didn't really gain an advantage.  That is pretty much how I would explain it to a coach that want a flag.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 07:26:30 AM »
If there was a legitimate hold and the defender still made the play, I would have a flag down even though it could be declined. A flag could "protect" team B if they also fouled by making the result a double foul.
Agree.

GoGoGo

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 07:41:00 AM »

LarryW60

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 01:09:46 PM »
Interesting that so many would hold onto a flag for holding until the result of the play was determined.  Can you say, "Late flag"?  I KNEW you could!
 ^flag

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 04:33:38 PM »
No hold, regardless of the outcome of the play.

Mike L

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 05:30:27 PM »
There's a hold there?

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 04:50:06 PM »
No hold as far as I'm concerned - as others have said, no restriction.

Now, if I see a definite restriction, I'll drop the flag regardless of whether the sack is made or not.  Even if B would decline it to keep the result of the play, it could offset a defensive foul.