Author Topic: 9-2-5 Sideline Interfence  (Read 3591 times)

IFL-Ref

9-2-5 Sideline Interfence
« on: November 05, 2015, 06:51:56 AM »
Hi Everyone, first time poster here.

I'm an official in the Israeli Football League (IFL - http://www.ifl.co.il/), a modest 8-team, tackle football league in Israel.
We are playing by ncaa rules with some adjustments, and I have a question regarding the administration of a first infraction of rule 9-2-5 in its updated phrasing.

The rule says, for the first infraction - Warning for sideline interference. No yardage penalty. [S15]. Should a flag be thrown in this case, or does the line judge just issues the warning and lets the play continue?

Thanks in advance!

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
Re: 9-2-5 Sideline Interfence
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 07:24:14 AM »
Covering official flags and reports to the referee.  Referee signals to the press box so all are aware that the team has received its first official warning.

The official should note the time and quarter of the warning on his card.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 09:03:07 AM »
Under normal circumstances, games include any number of gentle reminders for sideline personnel to "give me the sideline, gentlemen", as people tend to drift forward into restricted areas. Hopefully (and very often thankfully) sideline personnel respond positively to these reminders, and the beat goes on, without need for further action.

When these reminders prove ineffective, usually because people simply are not paying sufficient attention, a more graphic, demonstrable reminder may be required; thus the "Sideline Warning" punctuated by a penalty flag, and causing the game to be interrupted, attention to be focused on the Referee, who abandons his normal position and pauses to give a specific signal to the offending sideline, which on the initial occassion does NOT impose an actual yardage penalty, hoping to garner a better attentive response from the offending sideline to the matter at hand. (hopes that forewarned will avoid the necessity of additional consequences).

Not a bad idea, for the wing official on the opposite sideline to alert his sideline personnel what is transpiring, as a subtle reminder of the universal need for compliance.

Offline Bwest

• FAN REACTION: +12/-3
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 09:06:40 AM »
If you are using NCAA mechanics, the NCAA does not want a flag for the first sideline warning. Simply stop the clock and report to the referee.

EDIT: Whoops, saw it was sideline interference. Yes, flag that.

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2015, 08:25:40 AM »
Hi Everyone, first time poster here.

I'm an official in the Israeli Football League (IFL - http://www.ifl.co.il/), a modest 8-team, tackle football league in Israel.
We are playing by ncaa rules with some adjustments, and I have a question regarding the administration of a first infraction of rule 9-2-5 in its updated phrasing.

The rule says, for the first infraction - Warning for sideline interference. No yardage penalty. [S15]. Should a flag be thrown in this case, or does the line judge just issues the warning and lets the play continue?

Thanks in advance!

We do not throw a flag in NCAA mechanics.  Stupid mechanic, but that's the mechanic.