Author Topic: Zero Tolerance Question for NC officials  (Read 2833 times)

Offline FLAHL

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
Zero Tolerance Question for NC officials
« on: October 30, 2016, 10:41:30 AM »
At the beginning of the season, you mentioned your zero tolerance policy for profanity and the rule/policy that only the HC could talk to officials. How did that work over the course of the season?

Offline FBUmp

• FAN REACTION: +77/-38
Re: Zero Tolerance Question for NC officials
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2016, 09:49:59 PM »
It's worked tremendously well in our association. We've had games with a single USC on a sideline but I'm not aware of any head coaches being ejected for a second USC. I talked to one wing official who flagged an asst. coach. The head coach turned to the assistant and said, "If you get another flag and get me ejected, you're fired!" That's good stuff!

Behavior from assistant coaches has been much better, although things always get a little more intense in the final weeks of the regular season. Hurricane Matthew forced the NCHSAA to extend the season one week, so we still have two weeks to go. I don't know how it's been statewide but I have asked.

We haven't gone looking for trouble. For example, I've told guys to move away from timeout huddles. So if we hear it 20 yards away, then that's audible enough to be penalized.

Basketball will be interesting as any combination of TWO direct or indirect technical fouls will result in ejection of the head coach.

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 07:42:11 AM »
I've not had to throw any flags (or been in a game where my opposite wing threw one either) and I've seen better behavior and more responsibility from the head coaches.

It's not really zero tolerance on everything as we are to give a warning first (excepting profanity or if it's particularly egregious), but the couple of times an assistant started getting belligerent I found the head coach said "This is his warning, tell him to stop" and the head coach took care of it.

I've also had a few teams that, in the past, had a bit of a reputation for belligerent assistants but as a whole they were much calmer and didn't complain about calls to me.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 08:02:15 AM »
Relevant advice, related to these types of interactions (from the movie "Roadhouse" Patrick Swazey counseling a group of bouncers on how to treat misbehaving customers) "Be nice, until it's time not to be nice"

Offline FLAHL

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 11:56:07 AM »
Thanks Guys.  Sounds like you're on to something very good in this area.

Offline FBUmp

• FAN REACTION: +77/-38
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2016, 06:06:16 PM »
I asked the boss for some numbers on ejections. But he said he couldn't release them until after a report for all fall sports is given to the Board of Directors in December. I'll try to remember to post the info when it comes out.