Author Topic: Mind Games at the Coin Toss  (Read 15394 times)

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
Re: Mind Games at the Coin Toss
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2014, 07:07:59 AM »
My favorite pre-game invocation not only prayed for the players to be healthy, and the coaches to always keep the athlete's welfare in mind, but for the officials' judgment to be keen.  I leaned over to one of the other officials and whispered "I think we just got insulted in the pre-game prayer!"    ;D

Offline FLAHL

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2014, 08:45:04 AM »
My favorite pre-game invocation not only prayed for the players to be healthy, and the coaches to always keep the athlete's welfare in mind, but for the officials' judgment to be keen.  I leaned over to one of the other officials and whispered "I think we just got insulted in the pre-game prayer!"    ;D

We had a similar one.  In addition to health and safety, the priest asked for "clarity of thought on the part of the officials."  We decided that we'd take all the help we could get  ;)

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2014, 09:15:18 AM »
Whatever might be the local protocol, you only get one opportunity to make a first impression.

Offline Welpe

• FAN REACTION: +28/-11
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2014, 11:27:11 PM »
We had this happen last night in game between two district rivals. The home team refused to shake hands. My R left them with a very stern warning that there was to be no garbage tonight. That was a first for me.

It was no coincidence that both teams showed very little respect towards their opponents and especially not towards the officials.

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2014, 07:36:01 AM »
It was no coincidence that both teams showed very little respect towards their opponents and especially not towards the officials.
And in return, they both earned zero tolerance from the crew?
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline MSWBKLYN

• FAN REACTION: +3/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2014, 03:25:16 PM »

Offline ref4e

• FAN REACTION: +2/-2
  • An outstanding official usually doesn't stand out
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2014, 09:06:39 PM »
Dang!  I started this thread based on something that happened in a HS game and was admonished for "looking for boogers"!!!    Evidently some of those officials operating at a higher pay grade are picking their noses too.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/maryland-captains-refuse-to-shake-hands-with-penn-state-s-captains--video-164119749.html
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 09:08:58 PM by ref4e »

Offline Bwest

• FAN REACTION: +12/-3
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2014, 09:17:27 PM »
I still don't like an UNS here. Just because they are being poor sports doesn't mean we need to have a foul. We don't flag teams that are winning by 60+ and throwing the ball for UNS either.

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2014, 09:41:57 PM »
Evidently some of those officials operating at a higher pay grade are picking their noses too.
I didn't see the beginning of this game.  The announcers said the pregame USC foul came for the jawing and shoving.  This article says it was for not shaking hands.  If it was strictly for0 the latter, I'm betting the crew gets dinged for it this week.

Offline ref4e

• FAN REACTION: +2/-2
  • An outstanding official usually doesn't stand out
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2014, 11:29:07 PM »
I didn't see the beginning of this game.  The announcers said the pregame USC foul came for the jawing and shoving.  This article says it was for not shaking hands.  If it was strictly for0 the latter, I'm betting the crew gets dinged for it this week.

Maybe so.   I saw a short clip of the pregame altercation, and based on what was in it, it would be hard to penalize one team and not the other.    Hopefully there will be a clarification forthcoming from the conference office.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2014, 12:30:48 PM »
Isn't the reason we are REQUIRED (by NFHS) to be on the field 30 minutes befor the game begins designed to prevent any ridiculous foolishness from happening, upto and including admisistering UNC penalties, including disqualification?  That control and responsibility would include the Coin Flip.

Competitive taunting, and any sort of negative interaction (pushing & shoving) before a game begins, if left unchecked, is ONLY going to get worse after the game begins.  Shut it down HARD early, or accept dealing with it, likely A LOT WORSE, later on.

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2014, 05:27:03 PM »
Since confirmed that the pregame USC foul was for the skirmish that happened on the field, NOT for the lack of handshake as reported by yahoo Sports.

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2014, 06:49:12 PM »
Once again the media gets it wrong. Why am I not surprised?
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline NorCalMike

• FAN REACTION: +23/-8
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2014, 10:10:20 PM »
I still don't like an UNS here. Just because they are being poor sports doesn't mean we need to have a foul. We don't flag teams that are winning by 60+ and throwing the ball for UNS either.
No but I sure would like to sometimes.