Author Topic: Clinc Conversation Topics  (Read 350 times)

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Clinc Conversation Topics
« on: March 30, 2024, 07:42:38 PM »
I've been trying to think of good topics for rules clinics for the upcoming year, and another thread gave me an idea that I'd like to hear if anybody else has suggestions on.

What are common situations where we, as officials, often assume what a team will choose to do but they actually have options that are rarely utilized?

For instance, after a fair catch, R can designate where (between the hash marks) the ball will be put into play. I would say 99% of the time, as a back judge, I mark the spot of the recovery (or nearest hash) and we play from there. However, the coach could say we want to play from the other hash, or the middle of the field, or wherever... but we never really ask. I would also say that 99% of the time, the coach is unaware that he's allowed to ask... but that's a different point.

So where else are we kind of set in a routine, but we should be more aware of options available to a team?

Online Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
Re: Clinc Conversation Topics
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2024, 06:15:40 AM »
Another good one is on the coin toss, always ask if they want to D-E-F-E-R first. Asking : "Kick, recieve, defend a goal or defer" can cause some kids to say :"Yea, we'll kickoff" when told by coach to ask to defer. Some 'silent choices' are:
 (1) After a touchback, spot the ball in the middle unless asked.
 (2) On a PAT, spot the ball in the middle unless asked.
 (3) After a score, assume the scored upon team wants to recieve unless asked.

There may be more, but it's still early in the morning for me.  :)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2024, 06:30:18 AM by Ralph Damren »

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2024, 08:34:31 AM »
Another good one is on the coin toss, always ask if they want to D-E-F-E-R first. Asking : "Kick, recieve, defend a goal or defer" can cause some kids to say :"Yea, we'll kickoff" when told by coach to ask to defer.

Our SOP is to ask the head coach during the pre-game visit what he wants to do if he wins the toss.  We then confirm that with the speaking captain before walking to midfield for the toss.  After the toss, we always give that choice to the winning captain first.

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2024, 05:54:47 PM »
My standard was this,

Do you want your option this half or in the second half?
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Online Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2024, 07:19:23 AM »
And we shouldn't forget the silent accept/decline of penalties. In pre-game, we ask the coach: " Are the penaly choice person ?"
  One grunt means "AYUH"
  "We won't waste your time on obvious choices, if you wish/"
  One grunt means "AYUH"
  Two grunts means "AYUH"

Offline fudilligas

• FAN REACTION: +12/-6
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2024, 02:44:11 PM »
if the coaches don't know what their options are, i don't feel it is our place to tell them....UNLESS ASKED....thier lack of knowledge of the rules is not our problem....they have rules books

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2024, 05:23:32 PM »
if the coaches don't know what their options are, i don't feel it is our place to tell them....UNLESS ASKED....thier lack of knowledge of the rules is not our problem....they have rules books

:thumbup :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup👏👏👏👏👏

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2024, 11:53:57 AM »

To that end, when they ask for an option, we also need to be aware of what those options are -- thus, clinic discussion topics to make sure we know when to allow and refuse options. For example, A scores a TD and is lined up for the try when B56 jumps early and ends up in the backfield before the snap. Coach yells from the sideline, "I want that enforced on the kickoff!!" ... Sorry, coach, not this time.