Author Topic: What would you do ?  (Read 5407 times)

Offline yarnnelg

• FAN REACTION: +55/-37
What would you do ?
« on: September 14, 2011, 04:57:52 PM »
Last play of the game. Offense at the five going in and trailing by four points. Halfback goes off the end and is met at the half yard line by the linebacker. The collision jars the halfback and the linebacker falls to the ground. The halfback is staggered and is clearly in trouble, but is on the goal line, ball has not penetrated the plane. I waited until he staggered one more time, taking the ball across the line, I blew the whistle and then ran out, wrapped my arms around him and took the hit from the defensive back closing in. The player was out on his feet and I never saw his eyes until I closed in and grabbed him. Both coaches thanked me for keeping him from getting hit, but I really felt as if I had crossed that line just a little.

chymechowder

Re: What would you do ?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 12:14:13 AM »
I'm guessing you were a wing, since you blew the whistle for the TD.  how far did you have to run?  what seems odd is: why was the defender still coming up for a hit after the whistle?  if you had time to get out there and cushion the blow, I'd think that would mean the defender had time to stop.

granted, the defender might've legally hit the runner bang bang right after the whistle, but if that were the case I can't imagine you'd have time to get out there.

Offline James

• FAN REACTION: +7/-6
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 01:21:11 AM »
I think if I was on U and had such a situation happen I would hope to react like you did.

Offline yarnnelg

• FAN REACTION: +55/-37
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 02:13:03 PM »
Right in front of me. I saw the defensive back coming and knew there would be a hit. Also saw the kids eyes just before the ball broke the plane and knew that he was out on his feet. Both coaches were thankful that I got there to protect him. Paramedics were coming down the hill when they saw me take the kid down and protect him.

jjseikel

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 12:19:57 PM »
Right in front of me. I saw the defensive back coming and knew there would be a hit. Also saw the kids eyes just before the ball broke the plane and knew that he was out on his feet. Both coaches were thankful that I got there to protect him. Paramedics were coming down the hill when they saw me take the kid down and protect him.

tiphat: :bOW
Best piece of officiating of the entire season! :thumbup

Offline GoodScout

• FAN REACTION: +9/-9
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2011, 06:47:14 AM »
Protecting a player from severe injury is never a bad call -- it's why we and the rules we enforce are there in the first place.