Author Topic: Pats: Deflated Balls?  (Read 24782 times)

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
Pats: Deflated Balls?
« on: January 20, 2015, 07:54:36 AM »
Regarding the current item in the news, I was under the impression the NFL game officials, in essence, have the game balls under their own 'lock and key'.  That said, how can NE tinker with the balls?

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
Re: Pats: Deflated Balls?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 08:15:01 AM »
Supposedly deflated them on the sideline
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 09:09:32 AM »
Of course, anything is possible, but EVERY football entering an NFL game (or any other level game) passes through, at least the Umpire's hands, and very likely another official's hands being passed to the Umpire, who, with even a minimum of experience, which is not usually a problem with NFL Umpires, knows full well what both a properly inflated, as well as an under inflated, football feels like.

Is there some actual evidence, or even a "reasonable" suspicion, that something improper took place.  This wasn't an otherwise "slow sports news" day, or did someone doze off and miss the game?

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 10:25:04 AM »
"I heard it through the grapevine" :
       (1) Great song that began in a great movie.
       (2) The origin that we of patriot Nation heard that started this.

(1) Brady was picked in the 2nd qtr.
 (2) Colt D-back reported to their equip. mgr. that their ball felt squishy.
 (3) Equip. mgr. reported that to coach.
 (4) NFL office was advised.
 (5) NFL office notified officials ,at halftime, that there may be a problem.
 (6) In the 2nd half, officials tossed out 2 patriot balls that appeared soft.
 (7) In the 2nd half, the Patriots scored ^good ^good ^good ^good TDs.
 (8) In the 2nd half, the Baby Horses didn't score :'( :'( :'(
 (9) In the 2nd half, IMHO, I believe there were many deflated balls...
      (a) some were game balls, caused by the dropping temps.
      (b) others were........,well this is a G rated forum...so I'll leave it at that nAnA

( :patrioticon: aWaRd aWaRd aWaRd aWaRd :patrioticon:)

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +257/-8
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 11:24:53 AM »
This is getting blown way out of proportion. It's an issue that needs to be addressed by the NFL if the Patriots were guilty of doing this, but it had little impact on the game. The local Indy media acknowledges it was not the reason they lost, but they like to find anything that would disparage the Patriots.

Hopefully they are guilty and Belichek is banned for life.

Offline riffraft

• FAN REACTION: +18/-19
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 01:49:54 PM »
Personally I put nothing pass Belicheat. As far as I am concerned he has been the embodiment of evil since he unceremonially cut Kosar and he has done nothing to disprove it since.

Offline NorCalMike

• FAN REACTION: +23/-8
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 10:09:47 PM »
As Brady said, Ridiculous. Why would a QB want the ball deflated any when he is used to the properly inflated ball. He has played with properly inflated balls for 14 years. Why would he want to try to throw balls that now were different than they have been every day for the last 14 years?

Offline TxJim

• FAN REACTION: +18/-21
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2015, 10:21:45 PM »
11 our of 12 found down 2 pounds.
Sportsmanship is contagious - Let's have an epidemic!

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2015, 08:24:18 AM »
While I understand the vitriol being dumped on Belicheck - and I'm hardly a Pats fan to begin with (Go Bears!) - it's not like any game ball issues effected the game that much.  If he were going to do something, why not save it for the big game in two weeks?

Offline medi-ogre

• FAN REACTION: +4/-4
  • With officials...It is a highly structured recess
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2015, 10:58:53 AM »
Jerry Austin on the mike and mike show this morning had some interesting insights and info on the situation.  He said the balls were remeasured at half time and this is when 11 were found to be below the rule threshold and the 12th was low but not below 12.5 psi. It can be assumed that the officials then reinflated the balls to spec.

He also said it is SOP for all balls to be checked prior to the game.  The circumstantial evidence here is that there was a systematic and probably premeditated plan on the part of the Pats to deflate these balls.

As far as a competitive advantage goes I think it's safe to say a person would be able to grip an under inflated wet ball as opposed to a standard inflated wet ball.  Think about the throwing motion as the qb cocks his arm and is about to bring the ball forward.  I've seen a handful of plays where the ball just slips out of the qb's hand at this moment, and this is with a dry ball.  A wet ball would be harder to handle in this situation, so a slight under pressure in the ball would allow the qb to squeeze the ball more in this moment thus reducing the possibility of a fumble.  Same goes for general ball carriers or receivers.  The advantage was most likely slight and did not affect the outcome of the game; however, that Pats would not have pulled this shenanigan had there been no upside. 

The problem for the Pats and a certain hooded coach in particular is there is precedent for this from them.  I'm sure Goodell is beside himself with the PR problem this creates and Kraft can not be impressed.  I'm hoping the league drops the hammer in the form of significant draft picks, but I may be biased as I hate the pats being a Chargers fan and all (2006 divisional playoffs anyone?).

Offline TXMike

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2015, 01:01:09 PM »

Offline hefnerjm

• FAN REACTION: +19/-23
  • Everyone needs a student, a mentor, & a friend
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2015, 02:44:24 PM »
Here is a really good 3-part series by MMQB (SI website) on the life of an NFL crew. 
In part 3, there is a pretty in-depth description of how balls are handled in the pre-game.  Also, of note, this was written during the 2013 season, long before #Deflategate #Shrinkage

Part 1:
http://mmqb.si.com/2013/12/04/peter-king-spends-week-with-nfl-refs/5/
Part 2:
http://mmqb.si.com/2013/12/05/peter-king-spends-week-with-nfl-refs-part-two/4/
Part 3:
http://mmqb.si.com/2013/12/06/peter-king-week-with-officiating-crew-part-three/5/

For those not interested in the whole story, here is a direct link to part about the pre-game inspections:
http://mmqb.si.com/2013/12/06/peter-king-week-with-officiating-crew-part-three/2/
Coach: "I've been doing this 30 years!  I know the rules!"
Ref: "Are you married coach?"
Coach (suddenly offguard): "umm...yeah, why?"
Ref: "I've been married 30 years and my wife says there is still room for improvement"
Coach: "<silence>"

Offline hefnerjm

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2015, 02:58:27 PM »
One other note:  on SVP & Russillo show today, a Boston beat reporter was recalling a few years ago where Brady said he preferred an under-inflated ball, and how the QBs and equipment managers really have alot of control over how the balls are pumped.  Sounds like it is likely that Brady has been playing much of his career with the balls inflated on the low end of the specification. 

I have yet to hear anyone claim it affected the outcome of the game, but that is not the point.  The rules are the rules, and this time, the Pats tried to push the envelope a little too much and got busted.
Ref: "I've been married 30 years and my wife says there is still room for improvement"

Offline backjudge79

• FAN REACTION: +0/-4
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2015, 02:26:41 PM »
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 02:29:47 PM by backjudge79 »

Offline Patrick E.

• FAN REACTION: +6/-3
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2015, 07:32:59 PM »
The latest -http://nesn.com/2015/02/report-nfl-fires-official-who-gave-patriots-employee-kicking-football/

Offline TXMike

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2015, 08:54:34 PM »
Unfortunately the stories coming out now are  using the phrase "NFL official" when referring to the ball collector.  I wonder if he truly was an "official" or was actually a NFL employee who had that task.   And just like in criminal court cases, even though 1 tiny piece of the evidence might be questionable, that is casting a cloud on ALL the evidence. 

Offline Patrick E.

• FAN REACTION: +6/-3

Offline hefnerjm

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2015, 03:27:09 PM »
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/F/FBN_PATRIOTS_DEFLATED_FOOTBALLS?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2015-05-06-13-15-55

How convenient that the report is released 2 days after the draft is over...so the Pats get a whole year to adjust to any loss of picks for their organizational lack of integrity.

#VacateTheLombardi

Offline bkdow

• FAN REACTION: +9/-3
  • Striving for the impossible level of perfection
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2015, 01:06:37 PM »
Slap on the wrist.  That is all this needs. Then the NFL can change the way the balls are handled and monitored.  I'm not NE apologist but this is much ado about something very little. hEaDbAnG  Bigger fish to fry....like most every stadium piping in recorded crowd noise.
"Don't let perfection get in the way of really good." John Lucivansky

Offline DallasLJ

• FAN REACTION: +16/-15
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2015, 02:50:46 PM »
I disagree.  Deliberately tampering with the ball -- and then the cover up about it -- is a problem.  $1 M fine, 2 draft picks taken and 4 game suspension for Brady for failing to be open with the League.

Just my humble opinion.

And I don't really care one way or the other about NE -- but I do care about "the integrity of the game."

Offline bkdow

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2015, 01:35:18 PM »
But the report said that he "probably" knew about it.  They won't suspend with such a small endorsement of guilt.

Offline DallasLJ

• FAN REACTION: +16/-15
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2015, 02:42:17 PM »
But the report said that he "probably" knew about it.  They won't suspend with such a small endorsement of guilt.
  Have you seen the texts in the report?  He knew.  Probably means more than 50%.  Enough for a finding of liability in a civil lawsuit.  Did he run the red light and hit the other car.  51% gets you a liability finding and you are paying for the damage. 

Offline bkdow

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2015, 02:05:24 PM »
In my state, 51% gets you some liability but not all of it.  My last accident, the other driver was 90% at fault.  I still paid a portion.  Is 51% enough to suspend a star player....I doubt it.