Author Topic: More Mike Carey Questions  (Read 12995 times)

Offline GAHSUMPIRE

• FAN REACTION: +19/-3
More Mike Carey Questions
« on: January 16, 2016, 04:52:56 PM »
More questions from Mike Carey's rules interpretations in the NE v. KC game.

Tom Brady scrambles toward the pylon. Ruled out at the 1/2 yd line. NE challenges. Mike Carey says he would reverse it because Brady's hip hit the pylon (When that happened the ball was behind him and had not crossed the goal line.)

I was under the impression- from previous threads on this board- that the pylon was out of bounds, so as soon as you hit the pylon, you are out of bounds (correct call on the field - incorrect interpretation by Mike Carey).

Am I wrong?

Offline Legacy Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
Re: More Mike Carey Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 05:22:16 PM »
I'm wondering if that's an NFL rule/interpretation because Pereira said the same thing on Twitter.

Offline BrendanP

• FAN REACTION: +19/-252
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 09:43:19 PM »
I thought the pylon isn't out of bounds, and that it serves as a visual, imaginary extension of the ground. It looked from one angle like he got in, from another that he didn't, and you couldn't tell for sure from any of the others.

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +109/-35
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 02:56:10 AM »
The pylon is out of bounds behind the goal line. The angles are not conclusive (that's why they had to let the call stand) but I think that when Brady hit the pylon his body was turned so that the ball did break the plane of the goal line between the pylons (best seen in the view from behind and other side of the field). Tough call both on the field and in IR.

Offline goodgrr

• Roger Goodgroves
  • FAN REACTION: +13/-12
  • We are always learning
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 06:16:17 AM »
I'm wondering if that's an NFL rule/interpretation because Pereira said the same thing on Twitter.

Doesn't look like the pylon is OOB, here's the two rule definitions for Touchdown and OOB

"ARTICLE 1. TOUCHDOWN PLAYS. A touchdown is scored when:
(a) the ball is on, above, or behind the plane of the opponents’ goal line (extended) and is in possession of a runner who has advanced from the field of play into the end zone
(b) a ball in possession of an airborne runner is on, above, or behind the plane of the goal line, and some part of the ball passed over or inside the pylon
(c) a ball in player possession touches the pylon, provided that, after contact by an opponent, no part of the player’s body, except his hands or feet, struck the ground before the ball touched the pylon
(d) any player who is legally inbounds catches or recovers a loose ball (3-2-4) that is on, above, or behind the opponent’s goal line"

"SECTION 21 OUT OF BOUNDS, INBOUNDS, AND INBOUNDS SPOT
ARTICLE 1. PLAYER OR OFFICIAL OUT OF BOUNDS. A player or an Official is Out of Bounds when he touches a boundary line, or when he touches anything that is on or outside a boundary line, except a player, an official, or a pylon."

--------------

I don't think there's clear evidence that the ball crosses over the pylon, hence why they said the play sands.  However he wouldn't have been OOB when he hit the pylon.

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 06:25:42 AM »
Doesn't look like the pylon is OOB, here's the two rule definitions for Touchdown and OOB

Actually, in NFL, it seems that the pylon is OOB but a player touching the pylon isn't (unlike NCAA).

Section 21, article 3, Ball out of bounds:

Item 2: Loose Ball. A loose ball is out of bounds when it touches a boundary line or anything that is on or outside such line, including a player, an official, or a pylon.

Offline goodgrr

• Roger Goodgroves
  • We are always learning
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2016, 06:41:48 AM »
Interesting contradiction  hEaDbAnG

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2016, 06:48:31 AM »
Interesting contradiction  hEaDbAnG

Well, NCAA has a similar contradiction in that a loose ball touching a player or an official out of bounds is out of bounds but a player isn't. It's just definitions, nothing too strange.

It actually kinda makes sense as the pylons may move during the play, so you don't have to worry about do they cause the player to be out of bounds, and an accidental brush on a pylon doesn't make a receiver out of bounds.

Offline GAHSUMPIRE

• FAN REACTION: +19/-3
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2016, 10:53:19 AM »

"ARTICLE 1. TOUCHDOWN PLAYS. A touchdown is scored when:
(a) the ball is on, above, or behind the plane of the opponents’ goal line (extended) and is in possession of a runner who has advanced from the field of play into the end zone
(b) a ball in possession of an airborne runner is on, above, or behind the plane of the goal line, and some part of the ball passed over or inside the pylon
(c) a ball in player possession touches the pylon, provided that, after contact by an opponent, no part of the player’s body, except his hands or feet, struck the ground before the ball touched the pylon
(d) any player who is legally inbounds catches or recovers a loose ball (3-2-4) that is on, above, or behind the opponent’s goal line"

"SECTION 21 OUT OF BOUNDS, INBOUNDS, AND INBOUNDS SPOT
ARTICLE 1. PLAYER OR OFFICIAL OUT OF BOUNDS. A player or an Official is Out of Bounds when he touches a boundary line, or when he touches anything that is on or outside a boundary line, except a player, an official, or a pylon."

--------------

I don't think there's clear evidence that the ball crosses over the pylon, hence why they said the play sands.  However he wouldn't have been OOB when he hit the pylon.

I don't disagree with the call on the field, or the Replay review, I just didn't understand Mike Carey's opinion that it was a touchdown because his hip hit the pylon.  If the pylon is out of bounds, his hip hitting it would make him out of bounds, not score a touchdown. If the pylon is in bounds, his hip hitting it still  has no bearing on whether or not the ball crossed the goal line and a touchdown was scored.

Offline goodgrr

• Roger Goodgroves
  • We are always learning
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2016, 04:10:42 AM »
I don't disagree with the call on the field, or the Replay review, I just didn't understand Mike Carey's opinion that it was a touchdown because his hip hit the pylon.  If the pylon is out of bounds, his hip hitting it would make him out of bounds, not score a touchdown. If the pylon is in bounds, his hip hitting it still  has no bearing on whether or not the ball crossed the goal line and a touchdown was scored.

I'm guessing however one explanation for his comment could be that his hip hitting the pylon by NFL rules wasn't OOB, therefore after that and before his leg hit in the white the ball crossed the pylon and would therefore make it a touchdown.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2016, 08:07:11 AM »
Remember, fellow NFHSers, that in our code touching the properly placed pylon would put the runner OOB. Question of the hour : Where was the ball when the runner went OOB? Remember "goal line extended" only applies while runner is still touching inbounds, otherwise it's where was the ball when it breaks the sideline plane when runner is airborne.

Personally, I was happy with the non-reversal of the call. ;D

Personally, I would not have been happy with the non-reversal of the call IF Brady had fumbled next. :( :'(

Fandom trumps officiating in such instances nAnA.

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2016, 08:09:15 AM »
Remember "goal line extended" only applies while runner is still touching inbounds, otherwise it's where was the ball when it breaks the sideline plane when runner is airborne.

I'm unable to find the definition for the goal line extension in the NFL rules, so I'm guessing that it is always extended (perhaps this is one of those VP/O definitions that don't make the book...).

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2016, 01:03:50 PM »
I'm unable to find the definition for the goal line extension in the NFL rules, so I'm guessing that it is always extended (perhaps this is one of those VP/O definitions that don't make the book...).
In the NFHS Case Book, it's covered in 2.26.3.

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2016, 02:07:43 PM »
In the NFHS Case Book, it's covered in 2.26.3.

Yes, and in NCAA it is the rule 8-2-1-a, but I don't see it anywhere in the NFL book.

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2016, 08:13:27 AM »
My only issue was saying that he would have overturned it because "in his opinion" Brady was in.  Replay is supposed to need indisputable evidence to overturn, and an "opinion" sure doesn't sound like it qualifies to me.

Offline goodgrr

• Roger Goodgroves
  • We are always learning
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2016, 10:02:55 AM »
My only issue was saying that he would have overturned it because "in his opinion" Brady was in.  Replay is supposed to need indisputable evidence to overturn, and an "opinion" sure doesn't sound like it qualifies to me.

Yes but remember, this is Mike Carey's opinion we are discussing :-)

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2016, 12:36:16 PM »
Is Mike Carey ever right?  haha

Offline goodgrr

• Roger Goodgroves
  • We are always learning
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2016, 04:34:20 AM »

Offline VALJ

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2016, 09:39:42 AM »
He does a great job on that muffed punt that he shows as the last play.

Offline VALJ

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2016, 12:38:47 PM »

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2016, 11:09:37 AM »
After Mike Carey got his first guess wrong early in the game yesterday, did he guess anymore during the game ??

Today we remember Cam deciding not to get muddy and going after the loose fumble at his feet.

Two years ago, we may dimly remember Payton deciding not to get muddy and go after a snap that had sailed over his head into the end zone.

....it must be a quarterback thing ??? ::) pi1eOn

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2016, 11:46:57 AM »
After Mike Carey got his first guess wrong early in the game yesterday, did he guess anymore during the game ??
Unless I missed it, they never called on him again. I found that interesting.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline VALJ

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2016, 12:49:45 PM »
I only remember one other challenge, and that was an obvious one.

Offline bkdow

• FAN REACTION: +9/-3
  • Striving for the impossible level of perfection
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2016, 04:02:49 PM »
You had Peyton down by contact and the catch/no-catch.  I believe the rest were both reviews initiated on scoring plays.
"Don't let perfection get in the way of really good." John Lucivansky

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2016, 08:22:19 AM »
I think all but the first review were obvious to everybody. I wasn't surprised that the first replay was inconclusive, I *think* it should have been overturned but the NFL mantra is that it has to really obvious, which it wasn't from the angles available.

I think Carey's "fault" is that he goes too much with the gut feeling, whereas Perreira has learned that the replays are very careful in overturning.