Author Topic: Wednesday Rambling  (Read 3224 times)

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Wednesday Rambling
« on: December 11, 2019, 04:19:01 PM »
Consider this....

If your crew wears shirts with position letters, and you ever position yourselves together (like, for the national anthem), I suggest you stand in alphabetical order (as seen from the back).  Or, don't stand together.  Otherwise, you may end up looking like the attached photo.

Hopefully the national anthem is completed before you even enter the field for the toss.  But, if it happens after the toss, and you want to stand together, align in alphabetical order. That is completely nonsensical (regardless of crew size), and leads to less unscrambling by onlookers to see what words they can conjure. 

If you can, strongly suggest you just move to positions immediately after the toss.  Don't huddle at mid-field - just go to positions, and be ready to go.

Not the most critical or serious of issues.  But a 'little thing' to think about.  Let's don't give 'em something to talk about.

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
Re: Wednesday Rambling
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2019, 05:53:25 PM »
Conversely, the F and the U intentionally stand together. let the talkers talk - really, they have nothing better to do with their 100 IQ?.

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2019, 08:07:15 PM »
Conversely, the F and the U intentionally stand together. let the talkers talk - really, they have nothing better to do with their 100 IQ?.

“UF”?  🤔🙂

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2019, 09:06:33 PM »
 :bOW.  Good one Robert!
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2019, 07:31:38 AM »
A game of Scrabble, anyone  ;D ? Iowa's final tie-breaker is alphabetical order. If you place a Florida University cap to the left of a Kansas City cap, what do you have ??

Cheer up, new rules will be here soon !

:sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR:

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2019, 08:22:53 AM »
I used to see one that spelled out "FLU".

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2019, 10:01:56 AM »
Such becomes a double entre ONLY if the viewer has a dirty mind >:D .

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2019, 09:32:46 AM »
Paying attention to spectators, is a road best not traveled for a game official, it will only lead to BAD places. 

It seems the problem is not that we have had a significant increase in really stupid/obnoxious spectators, rather we are experiencing a significant increase in the number of, otherwise normal, spectators who are willing to ignore or (worse) tolerate/encourage really stupid/obnoxious spectators.

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2019, 10:07:39 AM »

Don't forget some places now have a Center judge that can get in the action as well.

Now just bring in the guy with the kicking balls and we'll be all set!

Offline Bernardgo

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2020, 07:42:45 AM »
Is the  Center judge really that useful?

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2020, 09:09:22 AM »

The help that you get going from 7 to 8 man is significantly less than the help you get going from 6 to 7 men.  However, it makes officiating the run game and pass blocking so much easier.  It frees up the LJ and HL to focus more down field and on the RB.

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +257/-8
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2020, 10:51:28 AM »

A former field judge and I (umpire) used to try to walk off the field together to the locker room with the rest of the crew behind us. I would be on the right. I doubt any fans noticed.

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2020, 01:36:54 PM »

If you are a Referee, oh yeaaahhh.  No more spotting the ball for me, if I have a decent U and C.  It that a good reason?  It would be for me, if I was still at that level, but I'm not, so I spot...  Keeps me young (I keep telling myself).

Offline peterparsons

• FAN REACTION: +10/-0
  • BAFRA/IFAF/ELF official.
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2020, 02:00:23 PM »
I've worked a number of games as a C and as R with a C.

Live ball, having a C gives a balance to the angles on how we cover the plays and simplifies certain situations. For example, in a 7, if there were trips, R always keyed the trips-side tackle, and U, H and L would have to think about where R was keying. In an 8, that problem goes away because R takes one tackle and C the other. Dead ball, having U and C involved in getting the ball down frees up R to focus on what the offense are up to with regards to substitutions and manage that part of the game.

For some of our games that we think will be run-heavy, we work a 6 with a C (no S or F).