Author Topic: Fouls By R On Free Kick  (Read 1025 times)

Offline theride

• FAN REACTION: +1/-12
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Fouls By R On Free Kick
« on: October 08, 2023, 11:52:08 PM »
Should the rule be changed to allow K to have R fouls penalized that occur during a free kick from the dead ball spot instead of the only option being to penalize from the previous spot and replay the kick.  Why does R get the choice for K fouls on kick plays, (especially Free kick plays, since PSK doesn't apply on free kicks), but K doesn't?  Doesn't seem to make sense, since the intent of the rule is to limit the number of kick plays that occur?  Thoughts?

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +99/-283
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
Re: Fouls By R On Free Kick
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2023, 07:30:23 AM »
Not exactly sure what you're recommending here.  There would be very few occurrences of a free kick play where we would be enforcing a penalty against R from the previous spot and re-kicking.  In fact I can't remember any in my games but I guess that during an onside kick with a serious scum you could have a foul on R while the ball was still loose.  If you mean to have the enforcement spot the end of the kick as opposed to the DB spot then that might make sense but again I believe would have very limited application and then create the problem of location of the ball vs. timing of penalty and also mean we would be bagging the spot where possession was gained for possible enforcement?

Given how NFHS writes rule changes I'm thinking that this isn't broken so let's not try and fix it?   ???
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline Fatso

• FAN REACTION: +8/-1
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2023, 07:38:45 AM »
Modifying post due to lack of reading comprehension on my part. 
« Last Edit: October 09, 2023, 11:29:37 AM by Fatso »

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2023, 09:05:10 AM »
I think he’s talking about a situation in which R fouls while the kick is still in the air, or at least before R possesses it.  In that situation, it’s a previous spot foul. He’s suggesting we treat it like psk, with the basic spot the end of the kick. It’s not a bad idea. I can envision a situation where R commits a foul before the kick ends, which would be previous spot enforcement.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2023, 09:35:45 AM »
So a whole new category of PFK gets created.

Can we wait til they fix this year's mess first?

I might be retired by then.

hEaDbAnG

Offline Fatso

• FAN REACTION: +8/-1
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2023, 10:53:29 AM »
NEVERMIND, sorry my fault.  His example is a free kick, I only read scrimmage kick for whatever reason.   Disregard.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2023, 10:55:21 AM by Fatso »

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2023, 08:41:11 AM »
Post-free-kick enforcement wouldn't really work or be fair.  Think of onside kicks and the mess that would create.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2023, 10:11:57 AM »
Post-free-kick enforcement wouldn't really work or be fair.  Think of onside kicks and the mess that would create.
That's one of the things we were thinking abou before we said : " 'Spect not."

When something comes up that doesn't seem fair, given the situation, a good response is : "coach, by rule...."

Offline ted skoundrianos

• FAN REACTION: +3/-6
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2023, 09:24:46 PM »
If the recieving teams fouls on a free-kick before R possesses the ball. Give k the option of re-kick or where the kicks ends. Like NCAA & NFL.

Offline theride

• FAN REACTION: +1/-12
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2023, 10:13:06 PM »
I agree, that is what I would like to see.  I think K should have an option, because R has an option.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2023, 07:06:25 AM »
K does have a choice as they can decline the penalty and take the play.

Offline Rich

• FAN REACTION: +6/-5
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2023, 10:14:14 AM »
I would like to see a K option too. Consider:

R muffs a free kick and while it's rolling, R illegally kicks from the field of play through the end zone to avoid having K fall on it.

Offline TxBJ

• FAN REACTION: +9/-6
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2023, 04:07:52 PM »
If the recieving teams fouls on a free-kick before R possesses the ball. Give k the option of re-kick or where the kicks ends. Like NCAA & NFL.

That is NOT like NCAA. You would enforce from the previous spot and rekick in NCAA.

Offline ted skoundrianos

• FAN REACTION: +3/-6
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2023, 07:28:04 PM »
I would like some feedback about my game last saturday afternoon. I am crew-chief-Referee in ILLINOIS. Bismarck-Henning @ Georgrtown ridge farm. 1:00 kick off. 10/14/23. We had a unssportsmanlike conduct foul on head coach of georgetown then unsportslike conduct foul on number 82 of bismarck-henning. I then call the captains from georgetown & bismarck-henning & told them to to talk to their players & control their player actions both team were warned. It was 10:07 left in 3 quarter. Later in the 3 quarter number 87 georgetown was called for blindside block. After that we had 2 dead ball personal fouls on georgetown number 53 & number 66. At that time both head coaches were on the field & took their players to their benches. After we huddle up as a crew I as if the blindside block warrent a ejection they said no. Then I asked them if we should call the game. I Then talked to head coach of bismarck-henning & athletic director & told them of our decision. I then talked to head coach of georgetown & Athletic director & prinicipal of  georgetown. Both coaches agreed to call the game. We Called the game with bismarck-henning 42-7 georgetown with 3:01 in 3 quarter. What would your crew do. My supervisor said that I shouldn't have called the game.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2023, 06:49:22 AM »
Ted-
Rule 3-1-3 gives you the authority, if you and both coaches  agree, to end the game. IMHO, it would be a challange for anyone not in attendance to disagree. While football is a contact sport, when that contact moves from a game to a war, decisive action should be taken. It is often hard to get opposing coaches to agree on anything. With both in agreement to end the game, if you rejected  that and continued to play, I'm unsure of your liability if further injuries occurred.

Where this doesn't apply to the original topic, Fouls By R On Free Kick, you probably should have started a new topic. It deals with a topic that many of us dread making, but should understand the ramifications.

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +99/-283
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2023, 08:59:19 AM »
......  What would your crew do. ........

IMHO you have a non-competitive game with teams that at this point clearly don't like each other and are, based on your description, right on the edge of a free-for-all.  I believe that you made the best decision available to end the game at that point and as Ralph points out there is clear and solid rules support for your decision.
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel