Author Topic: Bands Playing During a Live Ball  (Read 14157 times)

Offline Welpe

• FAN REACTION: +28/-11
Bands Playing During a Live Ball
« on: October 07, 2011, 12:20:21 PM »
A buddy of mine from IL was watching the Allen vs Plano East game last night and commented on the bands playing during a live ball.  Now NCAA rules prohibit the band from making noise that interferes with a team's signals but is this ever enforced and if so, when?  It seems pretty common around here for bands to continue playing right through the game without any regard to what is actually happening during the game.

Is this one of those things that is just ignored here? Where I'm from, bands never played during live balls so it is a different experience to be sure.

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
Re: Bands Playing During a Live Ball
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 12:28:33 PM »
Welllll.....interesting you should bring this up.....

It has recently become an issue in San Antonio area.  So much so that there will be a recommendation made to TASO for a protocol to be added to mechanics manual to deal with this.

The times when a band in the regular stands can be so loud as to interfere with a team hearing its snap count are very rare.  The real concern are these temporary stands we are seeing more and more in the end zones.  They are often much closer to the field and are often where the band is being stuck.  They do have the potential to be interfering.

If I, as the back judge, can hear the QB's signals, it is hard to argue his team can't hear them. 

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 02:35:01 PM »
It is covered in the "CCR" ( Constitution,Contest Rules of UIL) and is supposed to be prohibited but it is the job of the administrator ( yeah right, I know) to handle the situation.

" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline TXMike

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 02:41:09 PM »
Where in the CCR Rick?  I know artificial noisemakers are prohibited in gyms and fieldhouse but was not aware of anything on bands

Offline Etref

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 03:18:11 PM »
It has been several years ( 1996) when I was secretary of the Amarillo Chapter and I saw it then. I have talked with some coaches about it since then and they all "remembered" it also.

It may have been taken out but I know it used to be in there.

Perhaps TT might know................................................

Offline TXMike

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 03:25:55 PM »
I went through it pretty thoroughly and saw nothing and did a search for other documents. I did end up discovering "District Plans"" for many districts.  They are pretty interesting as they have all the details in there about pre-game activities, tie breaker procedures, how to get officials, etc etc. None of the district plans mentioned the band playing during the game but i suspect there may be some distriocts that have put in such rules.

Offline Etref

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 04:29:29 PM »
I think that I would still refer it to the School administrator. I ain't gettin' all them band parents made at me!

Offline TXMike

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2011, 04:49:10 PM »
While i agree we should give the game administrator a chance to quietthe offending band during pre-snap time, I am not sure on the mechanics for doing so.  Should we pause the game and seek him out, should we warn the band's team's coach that his team may be penalized if the band continues interfering with the snap count, should we wait until a logical break in the game to deal with it, etc etc?

Offline TxJim

• FAN REACTION: +18/-21
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2011, 12:15:20 AM »
I think this is a non-issue at our level.
Sportsmanship is contagious - Let's have an epidemic!

Offline TXMike

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2011, 12:33:47 AM »
Were you at the meeting Monday?

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2011, 02:01:49 PM »
I had this problem in one of my games last year.  Bands come out of the stand about about 6 mins left in 2nd qtr to "warm up."  Why they need to do this is beyond me since they have been playing in the stand the entire time.  One band gets on the track and the director obviously has his band start playing as loud as possible when the other team gets close to scoring a touchdown.  When the O took a t.o. I look at the band director and shake my head.  He knew.  They didn't do that crap again.

Offline Arbitrator

• Chief Manor Road Pig Poker
  • FAN REACTION: +7/-10
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2011, 12:34:24 PM »
 ^flag

I think that we have all encountered this particular dilemma at one time or another, and just like TexDoc said, we have glared at the band director to make him stop this stuff and thus made them tone it down a tad, or just ignore us altogether. Don't really think that there's anything in the NCAA rules that could help us out with this that the  :bOW Manor Road Crowd would actually give any real credence to.

The  :bOW UIL has seemingly delegated this responsibility to the Administrators, who more often than not, are doing little to nothing about it, quite often without any kind of intervention on the part of  :bOW Manor Road. They don't have time for enforcing what it is that they actually put into words; they're just way too busy trying to make money for themselves and trying to form a  pi1eOn tinhorn officials organization that it can call its very own!  z^

Offline TXMike

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2011, 12:41:37 PM »
The NCAA rules do have a provision we can use, although like flagging an extended halftime, I doubt many guys will be willing to use it.  The offending band's team can be hit with a 15 yard uns conduct penalty.  Preventative officiating would have us warning the offending band, via the game administrator or coach, that we will have to enforce that rule if they continue.

Offline Arbitrator

• Chief Manor Road Pig Poker
  • FAN REACTION: +7/-10
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2011, 02:52:04 PM »
The NCAA rules do have a provision we can use, although like flagging an extended halftime, I doubt many guys will be willing to use it.  The offending band's team can be hit with a 15 yard uns conduct penalty.  Preventative officiating would have us warning the offending band, via the game administrator or coach, that we will have to enforce that rule if they continue.

^flag

If they really want something done about this, then this is something that Dr. Redding and the NCAA Rules Committee need to place added emphasis upon in its rules commentary for the 2012 football season. I seriously have doubts that this has been enforced of late at the collegiate level, if ever at the Texas High School level!   z^

Offline TXMike

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2011, 02:55:18 PM »
I know it has been "enforced" at the HS level (but by preventative means, not punishing means) in San Antonio area this year.  But I have not seen it at the collegiate level and I see LOTS of collegiate film.  Perhaps this would be a good topic for a rule change suggestion for 2012/2013, remove it from the book entirely. 

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2011, 03:13:20 PM »
This is a field in the Hill Country close to San Antonio.  Notice the stands just outside of each end zone?  That's for both home and visiting bands, home in the east ez, visitors to the west.  This place has been a problem before.  The bands don't always stay in the stands and sometimes have a habit of spreading across the length of the end line, 12 feet out of course, and warm up for half time.  Funny how they don't need to warm up  or play when their team has the ball driving to the ez closest to their band.

I'm not sure if this image will come through or not.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2011, 03:17:38 PM »
Another one that I've worked where there was a problem.  In this case, only the home team band is right there outside the north ez.  Notice not stands at the south end.  Hmmmmm.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline beaye1

• FAN REACTION: +0/-2
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2011, 11:32:37 AM »
Allen has been doing this for years.  I remember at one game vs. Plano doing the chains as a newbie and my head ringing because how loud their band would play when they were on defense.  Because of that most the Plano teams willd othe same thing to them when they are on offense.  Clark stadium seem to enclose all the soukd even though the open end on one side.

Offline TXMike

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2011, 12:54:23 PM »
Just saw this clip from Saturday....right on target with the talk here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8uKg8P47m4

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2011, 01:08:11 PM »
Slash their throats Randy!

Offline Welpe

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2011, 02:13:08 PM »
Slash their throats Randy!

Clearly UNS...where's the flag, ref?!

Offline TXMike

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2011, 02:20:00 PM »
You want him to flag himself? ? ?

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2011, 03:13:22 PM »
He could get one of his crew members to do it, but that would be a bit awkward, no?

Offline Welpe

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2011, 03:48:57 PM »
You want him to flag himself? ? ?

Mike, give your humor filter a kick, I think it's stuck.  ;)

Offline TxSkyBolt

• FAN REACTION: +45/-46
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2011, 04:05:14 PM »