Author Topic: The BJ & the play clock ???  (Read 773 times)

Online Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
The BJ & the play clock ???
« on: October 04, 2022, 07:05:54 AM »
Any of you watching the Patriot/Packer game may have been puzzled by the BJ's lack of call when the Pats threw a TD pass when the play clock read zero for acouple of seconds prior to the snap. :o ??? :!# The TV 'rules expert' explained  it sorta' like this  ::) " ..Well...er...he watches the play clock...and .. once it hit zero...er..he looks at the play to see if it has gotten off yet  :-\.... so, they...er...might git an extra second ..or two...". It brought back memories of the NFHS passage of the 40 second clock. I was game clock, play clock or red cap guy at several local colleges and was griping to a NCAA official about no Maine high school field had a visable play clock  :(. His response was : "BE CAREFUL OF WHAT YOU WISH FOR  :P ." i now understand what he ment  ;)!"

I was listening to the Patriot Network, and watching the muted game, as there is a ;20 delay. Their guys sorta' said : " Well, it doesn't matter, the reciever could have gone for an extra 5 yards  ::). " During the next TO, I backtracked the TV to see what their guys said. I got my answer......" ..ER...ER...ER... 8] "

what say you ???
« Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 07:33:42 AM by Ralph Damren »

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Re: The BJ & the play clock ???
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2022, 07:45:03 AM »
I say the Pats fans would have been whining that such a delay call would have been "too technical." Somebody is always complaining.
But, yes. Bs must be consistent - across the industry - in administering DOG fouls. See "zero;" look at the ball; if it is still on the ground and not moving, toss the flag, sound the whistle, stop the action.