Author Topic: Bubble screen  (Read 3036 times)

Offline centexsports

• FAN REACTION: +6/-9
Bubble screen
« on: November 08, 2014, 03:56:17 PM »
Any restrictions on hitting a wide receiver behind the line of scrimmage before the ball reaches him on a bubble screen?   We discussed this during our pregame last night and there were two opinions.   Thanks

Offline Joe Stack

• FAN REACTION: +33/-46
Re: Bubble screen
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 05:31:47 PM »
He can't be blocked below the waist.

Online Legacy Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 08:24:53 PM »
If the pass is forward and he is behind the neutral zone, you can block him below the waist. The restrictions on B are players in position to receive a backwards pass or eligible receivers beyond the neutral zone.

Offline mishatx

• FAN REACTION: +28/-11
  • Free Agent
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 09:34:32 PM »
Hitting? Fine.

Tackling? That's holding.

Offline Joe Stack

• FAN REACTION: +33/-46
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 11:11:59 AM »
If the pass is forward and he is behind the neutral zone

You stated the rule correctly, but 1) we don't know what is going to happen on a play until it happens and 2) the rule says "in position to receive..." I would judge any below the waist blocks by Team B behind the line as suspect. So, I should have said he POSSIBLY can't block him below the waist.

Offline DallasLJ

• FAN REACTION: +16/-15
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2014, 04:33:50 PM »
If the pass is forward and he is behind the neutral zone, you can block him below the waist. The restrictions on B are players in position to receive a backwards pass or eligible receivers beyond the neutral zone.
  Agreed.  I had a game 2 years ago where the defense played press and cut the receivers at the snap.  Perfecitly legal.  Risky, because if they miss the cut, they are laying on the ground and the Receiver is uncovered -- but it is legal.