Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
NCAA Discussion / Re: Batting test question
« Last post by Legacy Zebra on Today at 10:48:27 AM »
Yes, if the ball had been grounded prior to the bat, the result would be a touchback.
« Last post by ljudge on Today at 10:20:37 AM »
Thanks so much.  I just had a brain cramp this morning.  Totally agree with your rationale.  I think the piece I was missing it was "airborne"  I think if the ball had first touched the ground, it would be a TB.  Agree?

b.   Initial impetus is considered expended and the responsibility for the ball’s
progress is charged to a player:
1.   If that player kicks a ball not in player possession or bats a loose ball
after it strikes the ground
« Last post by Legacy Zebra on Today at 10:09:54 AM »
Team B did not impart new impetus. Batting a ball only adds new impetus if it has touched the ground. Batting a ball in flight does not add new impetus. So Team A’s fumble is still responsible for the ball going over the goal line and subsequently becoming dead there. The result of the down is a safety. The illegal batting is by the team not in possession, so it is enforced from the basic spot. The run ended at the spot of the fumble which is behind the neutral zone, making the basic spot the previous spot. So the penalty is enforced 10 yards from the previous spot. A 1/10 @ A-18, 25, snap.
NCAA Discussion / Batting test question
« Last post by ljudge on Today at 09:57:37 AM »
This question was on last year's CFO exam and re-taking the exam.  I have B as the correct answer in my key but it's possible the key is incorrect.  I see this answer as D.  The bat is illegal (9-1-4-c) and B caused the impetus.  A has the penalty option and would result in a touchback if declined.  Am I wrong?  If so, why would B be the correct answer?

2/8 @ A-8. A17 takes the snap and immediately turns and throws a backward pass to A88 who is standing at the A-4. A88 catches the ball, takes a step, and is then hit hard by B22. The contact causes A88 to fumble the ball into the air from the A-4, after which B22 moves forward and bats the airborne ball back into team A’s EZ. The grounded ball is muffed by B44 and goes OOB across the sideline in the EZ.
a. Safety. 2 points for Team B.
b. A, 1/10 @ A-18.
c. A, 2/2 @ A-14.
d. A, 1/10 @ A-20.
General Discussion / Re: UFL
« Last post by ElvisLives on Yesterday at 01:36:30 PM »
I can’t make this up.

I tuned into a live game a short while ago (Birmingham @ Memphis, I think), and, in the FIRST down I watched, Team A had 4th and about 8, or so, and changed from a punt formation and ran the ball quickly, to try to get the first down. The BC got tackled 2 yards short of a first down. So, Team B takes over and, on the first down of their possession, the QB gets pressured, attempts to run, trips and fumbles the ball, and the defense recovers. Totally inept on both ends of the ball.

Just plain horrible football.
NCAA Discussion / Re: Just a quickie, cuz I’m bored
« Last post by GA Umpire on Yesterday at 10:56:30 AM »
I will try to do more research before I reply to other posts.

Also, I need to improve on my reading comprehension.  And proofreading skills.
« Last post by GA Umpire on Yesterday at 10:51:55 AM »
GA, as Kalle points out, NCAA is very different than NFHS. All legal in A. Intentional Grounding in B, with B having the option to accept an ‘artificial’ result of the down, instead of accepting a safety (or they can take the safety - their choice). I say ‘artificial,’ because, by rule, when an illegal forward pass falls incomplete, the ball belongs to the passing team at the spot of the pass (not the previous spot). But, there is an exception when the pass is made from the end zone. Team B can accept, essentially, an incomplete pass, i.e., ball spotted at the previous spot, next down. In this case, since it had been 4th down, that results in Team B being awarded the ball at the previous spot, first down.

Upon further review, under NFHS rules in A, if the pass clearly crossed the LoS, it is simply an incomplete pass.
Rule change a couple of seasons ago.

Brain cramp.

« Last post by ElvisLives on Yesterday at 08:52:01 AM »
A) Legal forward pass, the player who controlled the snap is outside the tackle box and the pass lands beyond the neutral zone. Team B 1/10 A-2 (right hash), snap, 25.

Kalle, for Team B, would that be the right hash? Or the left hash? 😁. (Sorry. Just being a wise guy. Couldn’t help myself.)

B) Illegal forward pass, the player who controlled the snap is not and has not been outside the tackle box. Safety. Team A FK A-20. PC 25. If team B declines the penalty, see A).
« Last post by ElvisLives on Yesterday at 08:02:26 AM »
Not up on NCAA rules, but under NFHS rules, in both cases, it is an illegal forward pass with the enforcement spot from the spot of the pass resulting in a safety.

(Answering because I am also bored.)

GA, as Kalle points out, NCAA is very different than NFHS. All legal in A. Intentional Grounding in B, with B having the option to accept an ‘artificial’ result of the down, instead of accepting a safety (or they can take the safety - their choice). I say ‘artificial,’ because, by rule, when an illegal forward pass falls incomplete, the ball belongs to the passing team at the spot of the pass (not the previous spot). But, there is an exception when the pass is made from the end zone. Team B can accept, essentially, an incomplete pass, i.e., ball spotted at the previous spot, next down. In this case, since it had been 4th down, that results in Team B being awarded the ball at the previous spot, first down.
« Last post by Kalle on Yesterday at 12:59:26 AM »
A) Legal forward pass, the player who controlled the snap is outside the tackle box and the pass lands beyond the neutral zone. Team B 1/10 A-2 (right hash), snap, 25.

B) Illegal forward pass, the player who controlled the snap is not and has not been outside the tackle box. Safety. Team A FK A-20. PC 25. If team B declines the penalty, see A).
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10