Author Topic: Batting test question  (Read 162 times)

Offline ljudge

• FAN REACTION: +19/-2
Batting test question
« on: May 05, 2024, 09:57:37 AM »
This question was on last year's CFO exam and re-taking the exam.  I have B as the correct answer in my key but it's possible the key is incorrect.  I see this answer as D.  The bat is illegal (9-1-4-c) and B caused the impetus.  A has the penalty option and would result in a touchback if declined.  Am I wrong?  If so, why would B be the correct answer?

2/8 @ A-8. A17 takes the snap and immediately turns and throws a backward pass to A88 who is standing at the A-4. A88 catches the ball, takes a step, and is then hit hard by B22. The contact causes A88 to fumble the ball into the air from the A-4, after which B22 moves forward and bats the airborne ball back into team A’s EZ. The grounded ball is muffed by B44 and goes OOB across the sideline in the EZ.
a. Safety. 2 points for Team B.
b. A, 1/10 @ A-18.
c. A, 2/2 @ A-14.
d. A, 1/10 @ A-20.

Online Legacy Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +53/-9
Re: Batting test question
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2024, 10:09:54 AM »
Team B did not impart new impetus. Batting a ball only adds new impetus if it has touched the ground. Batting a ball in flight does not add new impetus. So Team A’s fumble is still responsible for the ball going over the goal line and subsequently becoming dead there. The result of the down is a safety. The illegal batting is by the team not in possession, so it is enforced from the basic spot. The run ended at the spot of the fumble which is behind the neutral zone, making the basic spot the previous spot. So the penalty is enforced 10 yards from the previous spot. A 1/10 @ A-18, 25, snap.

Offline ljudge

• FAN REACTION: +19/-2
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2024, 10:20:37 AM »
Thanks so much.  I just had a brain cramp this morning.  Totally agree with your rationale.  I think the piece I was missing it was "airborne"  I think if the ball had first touched the ground, it would be a TB.  Agree?

b.   Initial impetus is considered expended and the responsibility for the ball’s
progress is charged to a player:
1.   If that player kicks a ball not in player possession or bats a loose ball
after it strikes the ground
« Last Edit: May 05, 2024, 10:25:12 AM by ljudge »

Online Legacy Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +53/-9
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2024, 10:48:27 AM »
Yes, if the ball had been grounded prior to the bat, the result would be a touchback.