Author Topic: Flags for uniform violations part of new rules proposals  (Read 426 times)

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
Flags for uniform violations part of new rules proposals
« on: March 01, 2024, 02:10:44 PM »
Looks like they want us to flag uniform violations, particularly pants? 

That''ll be fun.

https://www.ncaa.org/news/2024/3/1/media-center-football-rules-committee-proposes-technology-rules.aspx

Uniforms
In recent years, the committee has expressed concerns about the look of players' uniforms, specifically pants. The committee is proposing a stronger enforcement structure for clear violations of the rule. On the first violation, a flag would be thrown to indicate a warning for illegal equipment, and the offending player would have to leave the game for at least one play and could return when the issue is corrected. 

Any subsequent uniform violation by any member of that team would result in a timeout being charged to the team. If a team is out of timeouts, it would receive a 5-yard delay-of-game penalty.

Online ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Re: Flags for uniform violations part of new rules proposals
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2024, 02:30:23 PM »
Just another failed rule change. Until the conferences and the NCAA hit folks in the pocketbook, nothing will change about uniforms.
But wait. With NIL, shouldn’t these players now be liable for fines? Hmmm. What a concept.

Sadly, gambling has made it into NCAA. No one cares about “analytics” except gamblers/bettors. So, there you have it.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2024, 02:50:14 PM »
Just another failed rule change. Until the conferences and the NCAA hit folks in the pocketbook, nothing will change about uniforms.
But wait. With NIL, shouldn’t these players now be liable for fines? Hmmm. What a concept.

Sadly, gambling has made it into NCAA. No one cares about “analytics” except gamblers/bettors. So, there you have it.

Glad to hear they're considering it, before the nonsense falls down to the HS and Youth levels, before we reach the "padded bikini" bottoms level.

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2024, 03:29:20 PM »
I'm not - they're moving the wrong direction.  They've decided that the problem is that officials are to blame for not enforcing the rule well enough as written, so let's make it even more punitive and stringent in the hopes that they will.  No acknowledgement or ownership of the problem from the NCAA or coaching side, or their role in how we got to this point.

They need to just say kneepads are optional at your own risk, and be done with it. This rule change won't move the needle, at all; if anything, it's the wrong direction.

Offline Grant - AR

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +63/-5
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2024, 04:10:09 PM »
I'm not - they're moving the wrong direction.  They've decided that the problem is that officials are to blame for not enforcing the rule well enough as written, so let's make it even more punitive and stringent in the hopes that they will.  No acknowledgement or ownership of the problem from the NCAA or coaching side, or their role in how we got to this point.

They need to just say kneepads are optional at your own risk, and be done with it. This rule change won't move the needle, at all; if anything, it's the wrong direction.

I agree.  Coaches are on the rules committee and they can't tell their players to dress appropriately (can't make the players mad anymore because they will just enter the portal).  So, they push it down to us.  When a player is flagged for his uniform, the coach will just say, "I don't know what's up with those officials or why they care about your uniform.  Just fix it and play on."  The coaches need us to be the bad guys...again. 

Offline Snapper

• FAN REACTION: +14/-2
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2024, 12:40:10 PM »
I'll worry about uniforms and knee pads after we see what the PROP committee passes and after my bosses tell me what they want.

I'm probably a bit old school and prefer teams to dress like a team.  But that's up to what the coach and administration want.

I'm done worrying about uniforms, unless my bosses tell me differently; or the equipment is obviously dangerous or gains an advantage.

I don't foresee today's corporate NCAA making knee pads optional, but I would agree that's probably the best solution now.

As far as what may or may not trickle down to High School or Youth levels, we're constantly reminded on the Fed board here about what a unique game the high school game is and why they need unique rules.  Which is fine.  When it comes to safety rules, they clearly should be different.  But the Fed shouldn't blame the NFL or NCAA for anything that trickles down.  Just enforce your Fed rules on equipment and things will be fine.