Author Topic: Bringing back the chains after a goal-to-go scenario  (Read 572 times)

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Bringing back the chains after a goal-to-go scenario
« on: September 03, 2023, 10:17:29 AM »
Had an interesting discussion about a rare-ish occurrence -- Is there a possible scenario where A gains a first down inside the 10, the chains are set down as it's goal-to-go, after which A is awarded a new series and the chains need to be set back up without scoring or a change of possession.

I proposed that, 1st down at the B5. A56 holds, moving back to the 15. A8 is then sacked for a loss of 10. 2nd and goal from the 25, A8 throws an incomplete pass, but B55 is called for roughing the passer. Half the distance from the previous spot and an automatic first down, it's 1st and 10 from the 12.5, and the LTG is the 2.5 and the chain crew is called back into full service.

Better yet, a similar scenario would NOT apply during overtime as the LTG is always the goal line.

I could tell some people I was discussing this with were not convinced. A few adamantly said once the LTG was the goal line, it could only be the goal line until a score or a change of possession, and I think they were applying the overtime rule to a non-overtime situation.

Are there any other potential situations that this could apply? Obviously the A-B-A multiple fumble play could, but my original stipulation was without a change of possession.

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +99/-283
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
Re: Bringing back the chains after a goal-to-go scenario
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2023, 10:38:55 AM »
Wouldn't any of the 4 roughing penalties that carry an automatic 1st down fit this scenario if the current LOS on a goal to go play is outside the 20 yard line?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2023, 03:01:37 PM by NVFOA_Ump »
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2023, 12:15:40 PM »
Wouldn't any of the 4 roughing penalties that carry an automatic 1st down fit this scenario of the current LOS on a goal to go play is outside the 20 yard line?

Yes, so would an A-B-A change of possession. A ball 1st and goal at the 5. A fumbles, B recovers, runs it to the A40 where they fumble and A recovers. 1st and 10 at the 40.

*Sorry, missed the part about "without a change of possession."
« Last Edit: September 03, 2023, 01:14:49 PM by CalhounLJ »

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +99/-283
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2023, 05:27:22 PM »

Better yet, a similar scenario would NOT apply during overtime as the LTG is always the goal line.

Just a suggestion as has been noted in previous posts that rules for extra periods are controlled at the indvidual state level so IMHO we should be careful with a blanket "would NOT apply during overtime as the LTG is always the goal line".
« Last Edit: September 04, 2023, 09:43:24 AM by NVFOA_Ump »
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel