Author Topic: Rom Gibert's Video Clips  (Read 6623 times)

Diablo

Rom Gibert's Video Clips
« on: August 26, 2010, 09:49:36 AM »
In addition to s weekly dose of rules review, i.e. quizzes, Rom Gilbert is now providing videos of the week.  Go to
http://romgilbert.us/

Take a look at the third video (Blocked Kicks and Roughing the Kicker) in the Week 1 Clips.  Does B32 violate 9-3-5-b-2, "No defensive player, in an attempt to block, bat or catch a kick, may:  Place a hand(s) on a teammate to get leverage for additional height."?
In general, do officials flag these acts?

Re: Rom Gibert's Video Clips
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 01:24:12 PM »
I would not throw a flag for any pyramiding, primarily because the act is (a) minor and, more significantly (b) has no effect on the play. A lineman coming in blocked the ball.
What I would wonder, however is how a flag was not thrown for roughing the kicker. The player that wipes out the kicker at the legs did not touch the ball, nor was he blocked into the kicker.

By Canadian rules, that's a UR for roughing the kicker - 15 yards, automatic first down.

Offline JugglingReferee

• FAN REACTION: +40/-15
  • Ἰησοῦς Χριστός, Θεοῦ Υἱός, Σωτήρ
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 03:01:43 PM »
I would not throw a flag for any pyramiding, primarily because the act is (a) minor and, more significantly (b) has no effect on the play. A lineman coming in blocked the ball.
What I would wonder, however is how a flag was not thrown for roughing the kicker. The player that wipes out the kicker at the legs did not touch the ball, nor was he blocked into the kicker.

By Canadian rules, that's a UR for roughing the kicker - 15 yards, automatic first down.

I don't think that pyramiding in Cdn ball is a foul we call only if it has an effect on the play; it should be flagged every time.  However, I do agree that it shouldn't be called in this case.  There's no obvious pyramid imho.

Roughing the kicker it definitely was!

Offline The Roamin' Umpire

• FAN REACTION: +30/-16
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 09:28:53 AM »
In addition to s weekly dose of rules review, i.e. quizzes, Rom Gilbert is now providing videos of the week.  Go to
http://romgilbert.us/

Take a look at the third video (Blocked Kicks and Roughing the Kicker) in the Week 1 Clips.  Does B32 violate 9-3-5-b-2, "No defensive player, in an attempt to block, bat or catch a kick, may:  Place a hand(s) on a teammate to get leverage for additional height."?
In general, do officials flag these acts?

It looks to me like he does plant on the DT's back to help his jump. I would say we should have two flags here: one for pyramiding, one for RTK.

Offline James

• FAN REACTION: +7/-6
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 05:36:09 AM »
Why not for leaping? He started backoff the LOS, leapt up and landed on a player in an attempt to block a scrimmage kick. That would be my call as opposed to leveraging.

The Ref Thats Lef

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 07:02:34 AM »
Any views on the Mechanics in clip 1?

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 09:51:59 AM »
Clip 1 of which week?

The Ref Thats Lef