Author Topic: NFHS 2022 FOOTBALL RULES CHANGES PRESS RELEASE  (Read 23371 times)

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
Re: NFHS 2022 FOOTBALL RULES CHANGES PRESS RELEASE
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2022, 11:42:59 AM »
Thanks, Toma, for the memories of that. Over the years, I've had 2 coach questions to share regarding drop kicks. They both involved free kicks.

COACH: "My kicker will drop kick the kickoff. It'll be high and his teammates will catch it in the air after it has gone 10 yards. Where the ball has touched the ground during the kick, its legal ,right  ??? ???

ANSWER : The kick isn't a kick until it's kicked. A drop kick isn't kicked until after the ball touches the ground  ^flag "

COACH : "My kicker will place the ball so that falls off the tee. He'll then yell to a teammate to hold the ball on the tee for him. As he walks back, pretending to still be the kicker, his teammate picks up the ball and drop kicks it CATCHING THE RECIEVERS OFF GUARD. 8] "

ANSWER : Play will be blown dead, new kickoff at K's 25, Coach is now halfway to detention  ^flag :puke: .

PS : Although never asked, I'll answer... 6-1-2 : (...When a punt is used following a safety, the ball must be free kicked within one step behind K's free kick line. ..). The same would hold true if a drop  :!# kick was chosen. The rationale of that rule is that the kicking team  can enter the 10 yard neutral zone when the ball is kicked, not when the ball enters the neutral zone. This prevents the punter/drop kicker going back several yards and kicking a 'grounder' where his teammates could beat the ball downfield. ::)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2022, 09:08:20 AM by Ralph Damren »

Offline Derek Teigen

• FAN REACTION: +19/-1
  • Committed to the game; safety and sportsmanship
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2022, 11:00:59 AM »
Well, there's your problem. You don't wait for the bounce. You kick it AS it strikes the ground. ;)

if you are referring to a drop kick you are incorrect.  A drop kick is kicking a ball that has hit the ground and you kick it the instant it rises.

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2022, 12:20:43 PM »
Unless NFHS has a different definition than NCAA, Elvis is correct.  There is nothing in the NCAA rule regarding kicking on the upbounce.

2-16-3
A drop kick is a kick by a player who drops the ball and kicks it as it touches the ground.

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2022, 01:32:48 PM »
Yes, there is an additional caveat in NFHS rules:

2-24-6: A drop kick is a legal kick by a player who drops the ball and kicks it when it touches the ground or as it is rising from the ground.

In practice, this would be true in NCAA as well. If the ball strikes the ground, but the kick is a quarter second late so the ball has risen a half inch off the ground, is that going to be called a foul? Would replay want to review this? Even if the ball bounces high enough to be significantly off the ground, I don't think you're going to have an effective kick (unless you've mastered the shin kick) and it seems unlikely to be an advantage.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2022, 01:59:04 PM »
In the Flutie flick, via Toma, the ball is rising off the ground before the kick. NO FLAGS, if the ball is kicked as it touches the ground (a tie) I do not believe that should negate KCI as the kick would still be airborne. If said kick isn't considered airborne, it couldn't score a FG or PAT (8-4-1b).

Offline ncwingman

« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2022, 04:11:59 PM »
I would tend to agree that the intent of the rule, and if you slice words carefully, the actual wording of the rule states that K can recover a free kick as long as it's touched the ground *after the physical kick*. The ball leaves the kicker's foot, airborne to some level, and subsequently touches the ground.

Otherwise, the whole drop kick argument is really moot. Why not just have somebody hold the ball on the ground without a tee? No need to split hairs about when the ball bounces then.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2022, 08:51:42 AM »
AN UNWRITTEN RULE OF FOOTBALL...….

DON'T LOOK FOR FLY POOP IN THE PEPPER SHAKER  ;D

Offline KWH

• FAN REACTION: +633/-113
  • See it, Think about it, Pass on it if possible!
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2022, 08:17:53 PM »
if you are referring to a drop kick you are incorrect.  A drop kick is kicking a ball that has hit the ground and you kick it the instant it rises.

Actually Derek, I disagree based on the wording of the Rules Book.
2-24-6...A drop kick is a legal kick by a player who drops the ball and kicks it when it touches the ground
OR
as it is rising from the ground.

Based on the wording of the Rules Book definition, the ball could be kicked when it is 10 inches off the ground just as long as it is still rising from the ground when it is kicked.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2022, 02:27:56 PM by KWH »
SEE everything that you CALL, but; Don't CALL everything you SEE!
Never let the Rules Book get in the way of a great ball game!

Respectfully Submitted;
Some guy on a message forum

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2022, 02:57:34 PM »
IMHO, a drop-kicker would have until the gravitational pull of earth caused the ball's decent. A word of caution to potential drop-kickers : Round balls have true bounces. Footballs aren't round.

Our new rules should be unwrapped any day now. Hint: None impact drop-kicks.

Offline KWH

« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2022, 03:47:35 PM »
IMHO, a drop-kicker would have until the gravitational pull of earth caused the ball's decent. A word of caution to potential drop-kickers : Round balls have true bounces. Footballs aren't round.

Good point Ralph!
I shall factor that in when discussing the no change to the drop kick rule!

Respectfully Submitted;

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2022, 04:52:33 PM »

I don't give two cents about what new rules the NFHS is coming out with as I don't follow those rules.  But dang, the curiosity has gotten to me.  I can't wait to see them.  Hurry up already.   ^good

Offline KWH

« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2022, 12:14:13 PM »
I don't give two cents about what new rules the NFHS is coming out with as I don't follow those rules.  But dang, the curiosity has gotten to me.  I can't wait to see them.  Hurry up already.   ^good

You will need to hold tight to your TASO until Friday mornin'!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 12:34:43 PM by KWH »

Respectfully Submitted;

Offline ncwingman

« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2022, 12:09:49 PM »

Offline RMR

• FAN REACTION: +10/-6
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2022, 12:57:55 PM »
So still no auto first for DPI?

Amazing.
"Just because you don't understand it, doesn't mean it's wrong."

Offline ilyazhito

• FAN REACTION: +11/-13
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2022, 01:08:34 PM »
It still didn't pass. Maybe next year. At least now there is no substantive difference between the high school and college intentional grounding rules. I'll have to read the actual text to compare the details.

Offline hef333

• FAN REACTION: +3/-0
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2022, 01:18:05 PM »
Not crazy about the new Int Grounding rule....but we'll adapt...only question I have I guess is with the proliferation of passing now a days....who will be responsible to see if the pass gets back to the LOS?  White hat is with the QB all the way....as Umpire I have 8 linemen to watch, if team sends 4-5 guys downfield that leaves 3 men in a 5 man crew to watch 4-5 guys running routes, watching for holding, PI, etc.  hEaDbAnG

Ralph, was their discussion on that point, and if so, what was the overall feeling for coverage?

I bet there will be many many kids lining up to wear "0" .... :!#

Offline ncwingman

« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2022, 01:31:39 PM »
The NFHS.org link seems to work here:

https://www.nfhs.org/articles/revised-intentional-grounding-chop-block-rules-headline-2022-high-school-football-rules-changes/

However, the link HL posted is exactly the same content.

So if I can summarize the rule changes:

1. We now have a "pocket" that the QB can be outside of.
2. Chop blocks are above/below the waist instead of the knee
3. Fouls under 2 minutes can allow for the clock to start on the snap, even if declined.
4. Play clock at 40 if *and only if* there is a defensive foul. Fouls by both means 25.
5. Any official can say, "Hey, give me a clean/dry/new ball"

The more technical changes:

1. Players can wear 0, but not 00 or 02.
2. Team boxes can be extended by state adoption.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2022, 07:14:40 AM »
A WORD (OR TWO) ABOUT WHAT'S NEW...…

First, what's not : Adding AFD to DPI didn't carry a majority (and you need a super majority -67% to pass) 23-24.

7-5-2 Exception 2 : QB can dump pass IF he is outside the sides of the FBZ (not tackle box, as 6,8,9 man don't have tackles) and pass must cross LOS. 3 states ran this as an experimental rule and claimed this was not much of a challenge. A glance from ump or wing can easily see if pass stays inbounds. If thrown to Bubba's grandma setting in the top row of bleachers, give QB benefit of doubt if unsure.

1-2-3g(3) : Team boxes can be extended if state wishes. Coaches can "help"us make goalline calls ;D.

1-3-3 : Any official can ask for a new ball. Ball boys often run new balls in and fetch long incomplete passes.

1-4-3 : "0" is now a legal receiver's number. A kid want's to be at top of program, just ask for zero  ;D. ;D

2-3-8 : High/low chop block is now determined at waist,not knee. Many defenders come in low and probably many officials use waist as guideline now.

3-4-7 : Fouled team can start clock on snap in last 2 minutes of each half regardless of choice of penalty.

3-6-1a1(e)4 : Double fouls = 25 seconds on play clock.

[/HOPE YOU LIKE 'EM ,ALL
 :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR:
b]

Offline KWH

« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2022, 01:01:43 PM »

Defensive Fouls only - 40 Seconds and this is in effect for the entire game.

Respectfully Submitted;

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2022, 03:57:38 PM »

1-2-3g(3) : Team boxes can be extended if state wishes. Coaches can "help"us make goalline calls ;D.

1-3-3 : Any official can ask for a new ball. Ball boys often run new balls in and fetch long incomplete passes.

1-4-3 : "0" is now a legal receiver's number. A kid want's to be at top of program, just ask for zero  ;D. ;D

2-3-8 : High/low chop block is now determined at waist,not knee. Many defenders come in low and probably many officials use waist as guideline now.

3-4-7 : Fouled team can start clock on snap in last 2 minutes of each half regardless of choice of penalty.

[

"Ours is not to reason Why, What will be, will be" but 1-2-3g, If extending the team box includes goal line to goal line, whose bright idea reasoned, getting Coaches assistance on calling goalline plays would be beneficial., aside from supporting carrying a second flag is a VERY prudent idea.

Offline stevegarbs

• FAN REACTION: +4/-2
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2022, 03:58:24 PM »

1-2-3g(3) : Team boxes can be extended if state wishes. Coaches can "help"us make goalline calls ;D .

Ralph, this one kind of surprised me- where did this idea come from, and how far do states want to extend the team box? Did any formal experimentation happen outside of the COVID-related stuff in 2020?

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2022, 10:08:01 AM »
Ralph, this one kind of surprised me- where did this idea come from, and how far do states want to extend the team box? Did any formal experimentation happen outside of the COVID-related stuff in 2020?
When COVID first came to town, it was felt to allow this would allow the bench personal to social distance. In the real world, everyone seemed to bunch up to get the best view of LOS.  IF a state would want to continue doing that , they could. It will be listed under 1-7, the 'state's rights' rule.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2022, 01:01:59 PM by Ralph Damren »

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2022, 09:02:41 PM »
We had this in Texas, and at least in my experience, the opposite happened - coaches were very reticent to venture outside of the comfort zone.  Some would, but even when I reminded some that they could, I was told they like what they were used to.

Offline toma

• FAN REACTION: +3/-1
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2022, 01:29:30 PM »

First, what's not : Adding AFD to DPI didn't carry a majority (and you need a super majority -67% to pass) 23-24.

7-5-2 Exception 2 : QB can dump pass IF he is outside the sides of the FBZ (not tackle box, as 6,8,9 man don't have tackles) and pass must cross LOS. 3 states ran this as an experimental rule and claimed this was not much of a challenge. A glance from ump or wing can easily see if pass stays inbounds. If thrown to Bubba's grandma setting in the top row of bleachers, give QB benefit of doubt if unsure.

[/HOPE YOU LIKE 'EM ,ALL
 :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR:
b]

So if the QB being pressured outside FBZ dumps the ball OOB beyond the LOS extended   -  OK

QB being pressured outside FBZ dumps the ball beyond the LOS no receiver in the area ING