Author Topic: Considering a relocation to Texas  (Read 6216 times)

Offline shaker55

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
Considering a relocation to Texas
« on: May 30, 2012, 09:41:36 AM »
I've been working varsity HS football in Massachusetts for the past 8 years and have been working DIII College for the past 2. My day job is relocating to Westlake,Texas in 2013 and I am considering a move. Officiating is such a huge part of my life and happiness so I wanted to reach out to members of this board and ask for any direction about getting information about what local association would be appropriate for me to inquire with based on my geography. Any information/feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,
Rob

Offline Coby

• FAN REACTION: +24/-72
Re: Considering a relocation to Texas
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 09:55:51 AM »
Here is the deal about Texas:

Texas is the hardest place to work D2/D3/NAIA football in the country (Houston Specifically is the hardest).  There are just not that many D2/D3? NAIA schools within the state.  The high school football is played at the highest level but there are not a lot of college opportunities and the competition for those opportunities is INTENSE.  I will let someone from Dallas talk about the politics involved in getting on a crew in Dallas.  In Houston it is near impossible if you do not know someone with a spot open on an existing crew.  It takes most officials 8 years to get a spot on a crappy varsity crew in Houston (and I hear it is the same in Dallas).

Welcome to Texas

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 10:29:36 AM »
Coby:
All due respect, I believe FL has fewer NCAA/NAIA/JuCo oppertunities than TX.
Unless I'm mistaken, except for 2 NAIA schools, the rest are BCS or FCS division schools here in FL.

Offline Coby

• FAN REACTION: +24/-72
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 12:51:07 PM »
Checking my good ole wikipedia..... You are correct

27 to 3

I can not even make an arguement that they have more per mile... Rob dont move to Florida it is worse then Texas... Move to Kansas or Iowa if you would like to work college ball.

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 01:19:58 PM »
being a FL official wanting to move to NCAA/NAIA ranks:   :-\

Goodness a NCAA FCS/D-II official (with ECAC) just moved here from WDC.  He's crying in his beer. 
To quote him, "I just moved from feast to famine."

As far as MA folks moving here, there's quite a bit already here...shaker may already know some guys round these parts.    ;)

Offline Hondo

• FAN REACTION: +2/-1
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 01:47:03 PM »
Go to fwfo.org

This is the Ft. Worth Chapter. Contact both the Admin and Varsity Secretaries. They have a link on joining their chapter that I would also look at. Bring your documenation/resume and references. I know they would love to have you. This will get you set up for high school. Once there you can figure who is doing D2/D3/JUCO and talk to them. Good Luck
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 01:54:38 PM by Hondo »

Offline DallasLJ

• FAN REACTION: +16/-15
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 02:02:12 PM »
Go to fwfo.org

This is the Ft. Worth Chapter. Contact both the Admin and Varsity Secretaries. They have a link on joining their chapter that I would also look at. Bring your documenation/resume and references. I know they would love to have you. This will get you set up for high school. Once there you can figure who is doing D2/D3/JUCO and talk to them. Good Luck
  dfoa.com is the Dallas Chapter.  Dallas and Fort Worth are separate chapters.  You might look at both and depending on where you end of living, you may pick one or the other.

Offline shaker55

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 03:29:56 PM »
Thanks for the feedback..I'm probably 65/35 on staying here in Mass. It'd be a great move for my day job but not a great move for a number of other reasons. Sounds like the I'd have some opportunities to work but I do have to realize that we are pretty fortunate in New England to have a variety of college ball to work. It's tough, but I really appreciate the feedback. If I begin to lean more towards Texas, I will definatley contact the HS boards mentioend here. Thanks.

Offline Arbitrator

• Chief Manor Road Pig Poker
  • FAN REACTION: +7/-10
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 07:27:52 PM »
 ^flag

Hey, Shaker: With college experience, a move to Texas shouldn't really hurt your collegiate prospects. We do have several D2 and D3 schools, but working them might entail a little bit of travel on your part. As soon as the move is imminent, contact us and we'll put in touch with the right people.

High school ball, as you probably already know, is played using NCAA rules. So that should make it a little more convenient for you!   z^

Offline shaker55

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 01:20:36 PM »
Thanks again. Yeah, its ironic that the only 2 states that play High School ball under NCAA rules are Massachusetts and Texas. I really dont want to give up the relationships and fun I'm having officiating in New England but if the day job market proves to be too rough up here I might be singing a different tune in 5 or 6 months.

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2012, 01:34:50 PM »
...of course, coming from MA you do understand you'll need to learn a new language, yes?

Just a rib for my TX friends.  Heck, my sis lives there in Bedford, near DFW airport & Trinity & Bell HS's

Offline Arbitrator

• Chief Manor Road Pig Poker
  • FAN REACTION: +7/-10
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2012, 07:24:10 PM »
...of course, coming from MA you do understand you'll need to learn a new language, yes?

Just a rib for my TX friends.  Heck, my sis lives there in Bedford, near DFW airport & Trinity & Bell HS's

^flag

Hey, Shake:

We'll be more than happy to lend you our "accents" just long enough until you can get it down for yourself! And when you get here, don't sign any kind of paperwork that has  :bOW "UIL Officials"  tiphat:  cRaZy boldly emblazoned on it! z^
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 07:28:26 PM by Arbitrator »

Offline Joe Stack

• FAN REACTION: +33/-46
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2012, 11:12:34 PM »
55 -- just fyi (and you may already know this) -- Westlake is north of Fort Worth on a "corridor (Hwy 114)" of Southlake (yeah, the school that wins a lot), Trophy Club, Roanoke, and Justin. Once you go west of Southlake, there are actually only a couple of High Schools in the immediate area (Byron Nelson and Northwest), but other school districts are very close -- Grapevine/Colleyville, Keller, Lewisville, and Denton. All but Lewisville ISD (and one Denton school) are currently being worked by the FW chapter. These school districts have gone back and forth between Dallas and FW over the last 20 years. Dallas worked Southlake last year, and ALL the rest as late as recently as 2009, I think. Keller might have been FW earlier.

You're not going to have any problem getting a varsity schedule in either chapter, though your first year, you'll probably work mostly lower level (private through medium sized public) games and with multiple crews or guys out of the pool. After the first year, you can probably either get on a crew, fill in on one that has a college official, or even just work out of the pools with a fairly decent schedule -- assuming you can work and in a position with some demand (BJ currently with some R). As far as small college, a little tougher, but not impossible. You'll probably want to start going to camps around here and work toward the small D1 conferences.

Let us know what you decide. We can always use another good official.