Author Topic: "Accountability" in the Eyes of the UIL  (Read 22855 times)

WABill

Re: "Accountability" in the Eyes of the UIL
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2010, 05:42:38 AM »
The Executive Director needs to be the one handling all negotiations with the UIL. If he is not doing that either because of a breakdown in communication with the UIL, or his inability to effectively communicate with Timmons,

Which did take place, however, Mr. Timmons, so sure of his method and ways that his own defense team refused to put him on the witness stand for fear he would show how "hopelessly childish" he really is, proved time and time again that his word was only as good as the left over O2 that was exhaled from his mouth.  In the spirit of working together, he refused to wait to issue a joint statement with TASO, joined in on conference calls that he was not invited to attend, utilized his incredible super powers of thumbing his nose at TASO, and made an Oscar worthy you tube segment displaying his ability to compromise and work with (or lecture, can't quite figure it out) officials.  A real American hero!

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2010, 07:31:27 AM »
As for accountability......Lets ask the first question: Why didn't TASO do a better job of making sure that only officials in good standing worked UIL games? Why didn't TASO do a better job of finding a system to promote the best officials instead of letting the good old boy system rule the process? When the UIL started looking for answers in 2006 as to why the system was flawwed and why officiating in Texas was slipping (especially in basketball and baseball), why did TASO immediatly blame the UIL for all of the problems?

Now I'll grant you, the coordinators for each sport who by the way selected the officials for the various contests charged to them are just as much to blame for the breakdown as TASO and the UIL has corrected the problems on their end and they have repeatedly asked TASO to do the same thing. It took the higher ups to enforce their feelings to the UIL that something needed to change . . . . . that Texas needed to be doing things better than any other state organization in the United States.

So this is where we are at. There does not need to be anymore state boards with all of the animosity and egos dealing with the UIL. The Executive Director needs to be the one handling all negotiations with the UIL. If he is not doing that either because of a breakdown in communication with the UIL, or his inability to effectively communicate with Timmons, then perhaps the President of each board and either Cliff Odenwald or Dr. Charles Breithaupt should sit down and work out a compromise where TASO is allowed to maintain football and co-exist with the UIL.

Just my $.02

Screw Timmons because if TASO is to control the officials why does UIL need a "Director of Officials"

Also why is the UIL "good ole boy system" better that the TASO "good ole boy system"? You said it yourself in baseball and basketball the UIL selected some crappy officials to handle big games. Let the coaches do the picks like in football and then you can eliminate another couple of positions at UIL and save even more money.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 07:33:38 AM by RickWts »
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Cooter

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2010, 07:55:25 AM »
Talk about drinking the Kool Aid and living in denial. Austin, I am not sure who you spoke to in Ft. Worth, but the current board is in place minus 1. The president of the board sent a letter to the rest of the board saying that he would not be running for re-election. GameWillTravel, I now know you are so if you want the facts, call me. I promise you, the facts do not contain the Kool Aid that is being served to the rest of the chapter.

Barry,  You have been removed from ALL leadership positions you temporarily held within multiple sports chapters - you have been removed from the Tyler chapter of basketball primarily because you thrive on discontent = and are well on your way to being removed from any decision making body within the football chapter - you couldn't even be re-elected your division rep.  I'm going to give you some advice - take it or leave it - you need to lay low.  Since this is a football board I'll steer this towards the football chapter - you are new to our chapter but we all know what baggage you carry - we're not buying it...go sell crazy somewhere else.  You have lost your platform in basketball to create problems -so now you attack our football chapter.  We all know the types of people that live for the next fight - those that are never satisfied regardless of how life is going - we see them in church or at the job - you are the poster-boy.  I hope you will find peace in life - I'll promise you that I will pray for that very thing today - but quit screwing with my football chapter - More advice you can ignore if you choose:  This is a fun avocation for most of us - I absolutely love officiating and most who put on stripes do also - be supportive of your fellow officials, regardless of what they think of TASO/UIL - mentor new guys on mechanics, not politics - do not become involved in any aspect of leadership until you can think objectively and respect all sides of an opinion.  Have a great day.

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2010, 07:57:04 AM »
Barry,  You have been removed from ALL leadership positions you temporarily held within multiple sports chapters - you have been removed from the Tyler chapter of basketball primarily because you thrive on discontent = and are well on your way to being removed from any decision making body within the football chapter - you couldn't even be re-elected your division rep.  I'm going to give you some advice - take it or leave it - you need to lay low.  Since this is a football board I'll steer this towards the football chapter - you are new to our chapter but we all know what baggage you carry - we're not buying it...go sell crazy somewhere else.  You have lost your platform in basketball to create problems -so now you attack our football chapter.  We all know the types of people that live for the next fight - those that are never satisfied regardless of how life is going - we see them in church or at the job - you are the poster-boy.  I hope you will find peace in life - I'll promise you that I will pray for that very thing today - but quit screwing with my football chapter - More advice you can ignore if you choose:  This is a fun avocation for most of us - I absolutely love officiating and most who put on stripes do also - be supportive of your fellow officials, regardless of what they think of TASO/UIL - mentor new guys on mechanics, not politics - do not become involved in any aspect of leadership until you can think objectively and respect all sides of an opinion.  Have a great day.

:thumbup
" I don't make the rules coach!"

bbarn01

« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2010, 08:10:10 PM »
Cooter (since you are scared to post your real name),

I thrive on discontent??????? Are you serious?????? The reason I "lost my platform" in basketball as you so lamely posted was because I removed Tyler from the post season classic and filed two lawsuits against the chapter and refused to abide by some lame confidentiality clause that was put in the B.S. letter I received from that B.S. board. I refuse to take a load of crap shovelled at me. Furthermore, do you think I am losing sleep that I am now the alternate division rep instead of the primary in football? Very small potatoes. Lastly, I have not said ONE THING against football or the Tyler Football Chapter only that the Tyler Basketball Chapter could take a lesson or two from the football chapter. One sport has nothing to do with the other. So stop believing your own press.

The ONLY baggage I carry is simply that I am a Pro UIL person but also understand that two organizations can co-exist. TASO should keep football, softball, volleyball and baseball and the UIL should take and control basketball and the other remaining sports. If everybody has to register, then so what? You will still belong to the organization of which you pay your dues. So contrary to your opinion of me, I DO see both sides of the issue and I do NOT condemn anybody who does not decide to register with the UIL. It is a personal decision for each person. It makes no difference if I agree or disagree with that person.

There is an old saying that if it is not broken........don't fix it. Well the football situation in Tyler is just fine. The basketball situation is another story. Baseball is just fine. Anything else I can do for you today???

Barry

As you can see......I DO have the guts to post my name

bbarn01

« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2010, 12:30:08 AM »

Just my $.02

Screw Timmons because if TASO is to control the officials why does UIL need a "Director of Officials"

Also why is the UIL "good ole boy system" better that the TASO "good ole boy system"? You said it yourself in baseball and basketball the UIL selected some crappy officials to handle big games. Let the coaches do the picks like in football and then you can eliminate another couple of positions at UIL and save even more money.

Rick,
Long ago, the way officials were selected for the state baseball and basketball tournaments as well as UIL assignments, were for coaches and the UIL Legislative Council members from all over the state to submit their recommendations for the officials that should work the state events. We got away from that sometime in the late 80's and the coordinators began picking the officials. It was suppose to relieve the pressure from coaches who were being pressured by officials to submit their names. It was proposed then that SOA do the picking and nominating of officials for all playoff events, but the coaches rejected this measure. I am not sure why they rejected it, but the process has been under scrutiny ever since. The situation with coaches selecting the officials in football is a fantastic system and needs to remain in place.

Barry

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2010, 02:45:13 AM »
As the UIL is moving to make more football playoffs into "UIL Events" you can bet the process used for geTting refs in b-ball, volleyball, etc UIL tourneys will be carried over to us. Right now, don't crews for the "lesser" sport tourneys get made up of folks from different chapters? You want to see that in football playoffs?

bbarn01

« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2010, 11:18:35 AM »
As the UIL is moving to make more football playoffs into "UIL Events" you can bet the process used for geTting refs in b-ball, volleyball, etc UIL tourneys will be carried over to us. Right now, don't crews for the "lesser" sport tourneys get made up of folks from different chapters? You want to see that in football playoffs?

Hey TXMike,

That is not how it works. The UIL has gone to the chapter crew concept and have stopped bringing together officials and making everybody work together for the first time in these events. I know for a fact that it is not going to happen in football. And by the way, I happen to know that the way officials are currently being selected for football, will remain in place. The UIL does not want to change something that currently works and is supported by all coaches and AD's as well as officials.

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2010, 11:23:04 AM »
They are already trying to change something that works. I have no faith they will not try to change other things also.

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2010, 11:47:03 AM »
They are already trying to change something that works. I have no faith they will not try to change other things also.

EXACTLY!!!!

WABill

« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2010, 01:47:44 PM »
The UIL does not want to change something that currently works and is supported by all coaches and AD's as well as officials.

Wow.  Incredible.  Then what the heck are they doing?

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2010, 03:47:50 PM »

Ummmm, trying to make more money, to the tune of 3/4 of a cool mil?

bbarn01

« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2010, 10:17:18 PM »

Here is a better way to do this: Tell us EXACTLY (facts only........no opinions) what is it that the UIL is doing that will change football and how it is operated???