Author Topic: Inadvertent Whistle Question  (Read 7119 times)

Offline Ref4bills

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Inadvertent Whistle Question
« on: September 03, 2018, 11:01:32 AM »
First time poster, long time lurker on this forum. Had a situation come up this weekend that I was unsure about. I went and reviewed the inadvertent whistle rule in the rule book and case book. Unfortunately, this situation is still not much clearer to me.

The situation: 3 seconds left in the half when ball is snapped, A drops back to pass, clock hits 0 before he throws the ball. A throws the pass and B intercepts in the end zone. As he is running it out of the end zone one we have an inadvertent whistle.

What is the ruling in this situation? Does B get one untimed down from the 20?

Thank you everyone!

Offline FLAHL

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
Re: Inadvertent Whistle Question
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 11:05:47 AM »
Yes, extend for one down per below.  From the 20 if the player was still in the EZ and from the end of the run if he was out of the EZ.

“ART. 3 . . . A period shall be extended by an untimed down if one of the ­following occurred during a down in which time expires:

a. There was a foul by either team and the penalty is accepted, except for those fouls listed in 3-3-4b.

b. There was a double foul.

c. There was an inadvertent whistle.”

Excerpt From
2018 NFHS Football Rules Book
NFHS
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 11:08:12 AM by FLAHL »

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2018, 11:13:54 AM »
Welcome to our forum, Ref4bills, I hope you find it both enjoyable and useful. A similar play to yours caused a rule change several years ago as the prior rule allowed an untimed down ONLY IF the down was replayed after an inadvertent whistle. As I recall.....

Late in first half, state championship, mid-western state :

(1) B intercepts A's pass;
(2) eager tweeter tweets;
(3) B returns for TD;
(4) IW cancels that;
(5) clock reads 0:00;
(6) to get an untimed down then, B would need to give the ball back to A;
(7) half ends;
(8) clamor to change rule.

Rule changed, today B would get an untimed down where the ball was then the tweeter tweeted.

Remember, guys, to beanbag where the runner is when the whistle sounds.
(8)

Offline Ref4bills

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 01:15:06 PM »
Thank you both, that clears it up perfectly. I very much appreciate the assistance. The refstripes forum has already been super helpful. Thrilled to be a part of it!

Offline red viking

• FAN REACTION: +0/-1
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2018, 04:05:00 PM »
Had a play once where K was going for the game-winning field goal at the end of the game. Ref blew the whistle as soon as it was kicked (like PAT). The kick was short. Horrible situation either way though.

Offline FLAHL

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2018, 07:32:39 PM »
Had a play once where K was going for the game-winning field goal at the end of the game. Ref blew the whistle as soon as it was kicked (like PAT). The kick was short. Horrible situation either way though.

What happened?  Did you give them another play?

Offline BIG DON

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +43/-10
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2018, 10:01:24 PM »
I have seen several White that blow the whistle as soon as the ball is kicked on PAT's
I am not a fan of doing this because eventually the Referee will forget what the kick play is and have a whistle on a scrimmage kick

do or do not there is no try

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2018, 06:59:45 AM »
On field goal attempts we shake our whistles to remind each other that a field goal attempt is just a punt that can score. No problems yet. A "do-over" on a shanked FG probably will not have a happy ending >:( >:( :-[ :-[ :-X  pi1eOn

RARELY DOES AN IW HAVE A HAPPY ENDING...

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2018, 07:03:06 AM »
My Back judge is in charge of the whistle on a try. just as soon as it's up and away and passed the uprights, he blows it.. if the try is blocked, I have the whistle. and if there's a fake or something like that, the covering official(s) use normal whistle protocol. There's no need to blow it early, imo..

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2018, 07:40:06 PM »
I have seen several White that blow the whistle as soon as the ball is kicked on PAT's
I am not a fan of doing this because eventually the Referee will forget what the kick play is and have a whistle on a scrimmage kick

This is a question of "Risk vs Reward", and blowing the whistle when the ball the ball is kicked (on ANY scrimmage kick) is a far greater RISK than any possible reward.  It's just a dangerous habit, that accomplishes NOTHING.

The notion that it will somehow curtail unnecessary line play, is "wishful thinking".  The Umpire and Wing officials can far more effectively, and consistently, deal with that without risking an IW (which can open Pandora's box). 

Offline red viking

• FAN REACTION: +0/-1
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2018, 08:11:29 AM »
What happened?  Did you give them another play?

We didn't. By rule, we should have though.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2018, 08:43:08 AM »
We didn't. By rule, we should have though.
The eager tweeter has created a "mulligan" for the kicker :-[ and best pray  pray:; that he misses this one ,too. We had this play occur several years ago when a potential game-winning FG attempt was blocked and the white hat blew his whistle. The re-kick sailed the pipes, the game ended, and my phone started ringing.

MORALE : It's much better to have a late whistle than an early one. The highest % of IWs come on muffed fair catches. Remember, guys, the fair catch kills the play -let it do that - and don't tweet until the play's over.

A challenging situation is when the passer loses the ball forward and a whistle sounds. You have two choices - neither good - rule it an incomplete pass (lousy call) or rule it an IW (lousy results). I know that many of you guys like challenging situations, what would you do ???

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2018, 08:53:25 AM »
I know that many of you guys like challenging situations, what would you do ???

Applies to any set of rules.  If any question, let the play "play out,"  then discuss with those that got a look, and make a decision - incomplete pass or fumble recovery.  Either is better than the IW.

Robert

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2018, 10:52:09 AM »
Applies to any set of rules.  If any question, let the play "play out,"  then discuss with those that got a look, and make a decision - incomplete pass or fumble recovery.  Either is better than the IW.

Robert
I agree, Robert, you are faced with the worst of two lousy choices:
(1) The lousy choice of incomplete pass end the down;
(2) The lousy choice of IW lets A repeat the down.

I'd favor the 1st lousy choice.

This occurred in a UMaine - Georgia Southern playoff game several years ago. The GS QB pitched the ball forward several times earlier and what appeared to the LJ as a forward pitch was clearly a fumble. UM recovered deep in GS territory. The ref announced: "The ruling on the field is an incomplete pass". We Mainers - a thousand miles north - booed. The incomplete pass gave GS 4th down. An IW would have allowed them to repeat 3rd.  I received several calls wanting my opinion and responded : "Given the two poor choices, the ref chose the best."

....UGS punted...UM muffed the punt....UGS recovered....

Maine's ice hockey team was still undefeated.... 

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2018, 12:27:53 PM »

IW's are something everyone knows how to avoid, but sometimes prove a lot harder to avoid, face, and deal with.  They are NOT "choices", they are "MISTAKES".

No matter how hard you suck on a whistle, you can't get the "Tweet" back.  When you KNOW something specific happened, deal with it.  If you're not SURE, don't.  When you make a MISTAKE, accept it (and the inevitable consequences) allow for the appropriate adjustments (as per rule) shake it off and move on and get back in the game as quickly as possible (which is NEVER easy).

Corrections can be painful, but they're better than inventing ways to avoid facing them.