Author Topic: What do you do when you know you're wrong?  (Read 12243 times)

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
Re: What do you do when you know you're wrong?
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2015, 08:51:37 AM »
Do the coaches (particularly the kicking teams coach) absolutely deserves a quick explanation.  It doesn't have to be a rules clinic, but telling him, "Coach, the ball is still a kick, and a kick in the end zone is a touchback.  Doesn't matter that it was muffed, it was dead as soon as it hit the goal line."  What does that take, 10 seconds?

Definitely agree.  A quick explanation to the coach will save the crew a whole lot of grief for this. 

If the ref was miked, he could announce, "By rule, any kick entering the end zone is a touchback" and moved on, but how many HS refs are miked?  Without a mike, you still aren't going to be able to explain the rule to the fans.  So fans are on you the rest of the night?  As long as they don't turn violent or disrupt the game, I couldn't care less if the fans are on me.  They paid their money, let them boo, let them think I'm an idiot, it just doesn't matter.  There is a limit on how much crap I have to take from a coach, there is no limit on how much crap I have to take from the fans as long as they leave it in the stands and don't disrupt the game.

Agree here as well.  As long as the fans stay where they're supposed to, and don't do anything silly/stupid after the game while we're leaving, I couldn't possibly care less what they think.  We've got a job to do, and we do it, and the spec-taters get to watch,

As for your problems above, I think there is a consensus that in #2, you probably shouldn't have seen the holder with his knee on the ground, but if you did, you take that info to your WH, it's his call, all you can do is offer information.

On #1, you made a call.  If you are 110% sure you are wrong AND STILL HAVE TIME TO MAKE A CHANGE, OK, make it.  But before moving the spot, I would meet with the other officials and let them know WHY you are moving the spot, let it look like a crew decision.  And you had better let the opposing coach know why you are moving it, and give him a long leash to let you know his feelings on the matter.  I'm not saying he has carte blanche, but you blew it, you changed it, and he has a reason to be perturbed about the way you handled it.  He gets a little latitude on this one.

Heavens yes.  I'm not giving him license to say whatever he wants, but he's going to be cranky, and his job is to fight for his team, and I'll respect that.  He gets some latitude to blow off some steam here as long as he stays "in bounds", so to speak.  Communicating with the coaches to let them know what's going on is very important, as far as I'm concerned.  They may not like what we have to say when we tell them why something like this is going to happen, but they at least deserve an explanation as to why it's happening.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2015, 09:12:24 AM »
The first stone thrown into the pond is the one responsible for all the subsequent ripples.  It's usually the tone, manner and demeanor of how the question, suggestion, advice is initially presented that often affects  the delivery of a response.

Being respectful is a well proven way of being treated respectfully.

Offline Eastshire

• FAN REACTION: +6/-2
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2015, 06:53:42 AM »
For me, there's a huge difference between a rules error, which must be corrected if identified in a timely manner, and a judgement error, which rarely can be corrected even if identified somewhat quickly.

The incorrectly spotted football in the OP strikes me as the latter. You kicked the call. Do better next time. Being indecisive is generally worse than being rarely, decisively wrong. If you're more than rarely wrong, no level of decisiveness is going to help.