Author Topic: 6 man mechanics for NFHS  (Read 12260 times)

fbljuj

6 man mechanics for NFHS
« on: October 05, 2010, 01:08:59 PM »
All,
We in CT may be going to 6 man mechanics for our playoff games and our board has been using them for big games for quite some time. However, there is a small group of "veteran" officials who insist the deep officials be lined up on the hash marks which makes sideline coverage null and void. I've been trying to promote the manual on the http://football.refs.org/mechanics/ web page from PA which is an excellent guide. Seeing the NFHS does not have a 6 man mechanic in it's manual, would anyone have something in line with what I am trying to promote? Thanks for your help and hope everyone's season is going well and healthy............

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
Re: 6 man mechanics for NFHS
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 01:30:03 PM »
Here is a link to Georgia's manual, which includes 4, 5, 6 and 7 man crews.  Most games in Georgia are 6 man crews.  The deep guys line up on or near the sideline, unless the ball is inside the 10.

http://www.ghsa.net/files/documents/2010-GHSA-Football-Officials-Manual-Rev-C.pdf

john3459

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 09:57:20 AM »
I am a referee in Arkansas and our crew is a 6-man crew. It is GREAT!! Coaches like it as so do we. A few years ago I found a mechanics manual online that we use. It was from a state asso. but i don't remember which one. The mechanics are fairly simple and give great coverage. I have them in a PDF form and if you will contact me at dfarms@catc.net I will forward them to you.

Offline BryanM67

• FAN REACTION: +2/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 11:29:33 PM »
3. Do not consume any alcoholic beverages within 24 hours prior to game time. 

Hope I am not changing the subject, but I found this under the preparation section.  Very interesting its 24 hours for Georgia referees.  If I remember correctly, airline pilots only have to be stop drinking 12 hours before the first flight.

Football referee rookie

NAUmp

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 11:40:17 PM »
3. Do not consume any alcoholic beverages within 24 hours prior to game time. 

Hope I am not changing the subject, but I found this under the preparation section.  Very interesting its 24 hours for Georgia referees.  If I remember correctly, airline pilots only have to be stop drinking 12 hours before the first flight.

In Alabama it says the day of the game, which would include after the game also.  Have to have that cold one together the next day around here.

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 06:13:30 AM »

In Georgia, football is more important than flying a plane.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 11:44:04 AM »
In Alabama it says the day of the game, which would include after the game also.  Have to have that cold one together the next day around here.

Yeah, riiiiiiiiight!

Ken-PA

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 12:17:11 PM »
Sorry for the late post on this matter.

The web site quoted for the PIAA mechanics is stale.  Last year the PIAA adapted a six-man mechanic that has one deep official start on the sideline (SJ) and the second deep official start on the hash marks (BJ).  This mechanic can be found here: http://www.wpial.org/stuff/forms/football%20mechanics%202010.pdf

The western part of PA (greater Pittsburgh area) had used a CCA mechanic for six man for a number of years before the directive to use this PIAA mechanic.  The CCA mechanic was "balanced" and had the deep officials start on the sideline.  Many officials do not like the new machanic because of the weakness in coverage of the LJ sideline

Grant - AR

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2010, 12:55:02 PM »
Sorry for the late post on this matter.

The web site quoted for the PIAA mechanics is stale.  Last year the PIAA adapted a six-man mechanic that has one deep official start on the sideline (SJ) and the second deep official start on the hash marks (BJ).  This mechanic can be found here: http://www.wpial.org/stuff/forms/football%20mechanics%202010.pdf

The western part of PA (greater Pittsburgh area) had used a CCA mechanic for six man for a number of years before the directive to use this PIAA mechanic.  The CCA mechanic was "balanced" and had the deep officials start on the sideline.  Many officials do not like the new machanic because of the weakness in coverage of the LJ sideline

I've heard of this mechanic before (one on the sideline and one on the hash) but I've never heard the rationale behind it.  Do you know why this mechanic was chosen by the PIAA?

Offline LAZebra

• FAN REACTION: +4/-1
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2010, 08:01:29 AM »

NorthAL,  The verbage in the Alabama Officials Guide has changed in the last couple of years.  From page 15, #13:  "An official will be suspended for a minimum of one year if he consumes alcoholic beverages on the same day he officiates prior to a contest"  So, now you may enjoy your lemonade after the game.  I stick with iced tea myself.
None of these fans paid to see us