Author Topic: Another Another Interesting Play  (Read 1830 times)

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Re: Another Another Interesting Play
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2023, 03:19:28 PM »
WHAT?  The ball literally was never motionless before coach kicked it.  It was rolling and bouncing around on the field and he kicked it while it was still bouncing, in fact I'm not sure it wasn't airborn when he did.  That is absolutely 100% still a live ball until he kicks it.

Yeah, that’s not what I was talking about. I was talking about after he kicked it and before K picked it up. Even if it wasn’t dead by rule when the coach kicked it (which it was, but wasn’t called) it should have still been declared dead after laying motionless with no player from either team trying to recover it. 

Offline lawdog

• FAN REACTION: +3/-17
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2023, 03:39:50 PM »
Yeah, that’s not what I was talking about. I was talking about after he kicked it and before K picked it up. Even if it wasn’t dead by rule when the coach kicked it (which it was, but wasn’t called) it should have still been declared dead after laying motionless with no player from either team trying to recover it.

Ahhh, that I'd agree with.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2023, 06:46:06 AM »
IMHO,  having the entire R team out on the field = confusion = dead ball by applying 1-1-6 = either IP or Ik(you can't have IK with a dead ball) gives the ball to K with an untimed down  @  R's 10.  I agree with Calhoun, don't give K a cheap TD abid all the confusion just shut the play down and let K earn the results under an untimed down. When faced with cluster fudge :!# :o ::) like this, you best route  is to shut the play down and sort it out ^talk ^talk yEs:

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2023, 08:25:50 AM »
Having now seen the play:  IP on R, penalize half the distance and have an untimed down.

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2023, 09:08:50 AM »
Having now seen the play:  IP on R, penalize half the distance and have an untimed down.

I agree.

Online Legacy Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +53/-9
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2023, 09:55:04 AM »
Just to throw another wrench in things, the R signals no good prior to the kick and probably simultaneous to the defense coming onto the field. In NCAA, a signal is as good as a whistle and would be treated as an IW, is this the same in NFHS? If so, I think it would be no foul, IW, replay the down.

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2023, 09:56:18 AM »
Just to throw another wrench in things, the R signals no good prior to the kick and probably simultaneous to the defense coming onto the field. In NCAA, a signal is as good as a whistle and would be treated as an IW, is this the same in NFHS? If so, I think it would be no foul, IW, replay the down.

The FED doesn't have such a rule, but it's a great point.

Offline KWH

• FAN REACTION: +633/-113
  • See it, Think about it, Pass on it if possible!
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2023, 11:58:13 AM »

IMHO - These travesty's shall continue to occur until the rules on the TRY are tweaked to (at least) leave a blocked kick to remain live for K to advance and score.  The ball would remain live until it becomes dead by rule or R gains possession.

This is a half-step fix as allowing R to score on a TRY is an entire differing subject
Allowing R to score will get Ralph grumbling, mumbling, stumbling, and throwing his mouse at his computer.
SEE everything that you CALL, but; Don't CALL everything you SEE!
Never let the Rules Book get in the way of a great ball game!

Respectfully Submitted;
Some guy on a message forum

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2023, 01:16:31 PM »

IMHO - These travesty's shall continue to occur until the rules on the TRY are tweaked to (at least) leave a blocked kick to remain live for K to advance and score.  The ball would remain live until it becomes dead by rule or R gains possession.

This is a half-step fix as allowing R to score on a TRY is an entire differing subject
Allowing R to score will get Ralph grumbling, mumbling, stumbling, and throwing his mouse at his computer.

The only reason I think it's dead on a try is because R cannot advance the kick, so K should not be able to either.

I think changing this to be similar to FGs is a good compromise to get rid of inadvertent whistles.  Just let K be able to advance their blocked kick.  This keeps it consistent for players too. 

Do not let B score, as that opens up a huge can of worms for penalty enforcement.  I know it might be weird to ask Team B to block the kick and recover the ball to end the down, but they'd have to do that on field goals too.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2023, 01:18:10 PM by bossman72 »