Author Topic: RB Jumps the Snap Count  (Read 4352 times)

Offline FLAHL

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
RB Jumps the Snap Count
« on: July 09, 2014, 08:39:46 AM »
When a running back jumps the snap count, do you allow him to reset and let the play go off, or do you kill the play and call a foul for a false start?  Redding's says this is "most likely" a false start, but goes on to say "there is no general agreement among officials about what constitutes a false start by a back or split end."

For clarification, when I say "jumps the snap count" this is clearly not a shift, but a quick movement in the direction he would have gone at the snap, followed by another quick movement back into a three point stance.

Offline RS

• FAN REACTION: +3/-0
Re: RB Jumps the Snap Count
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 08:50:33 AM »
False Start.
It will save you a lot of potential grief.

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 08:56:05 AM »
If it's quick, he simulated the snap.  Flag it.  No back or end shifts quickly, it is a clearly a slower, more deliberate move.

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +257/-8
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 09:06:54 AM »
Some officials will justify the runner's ability to do this because he can shift and reset, but I believe it's ultimately the best for everyone to shut this down as a false start.  He made the mistake.

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 09:11:47 AM »
Absolutely a false start. No doubt about it

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 11:25:46 AM »
"Simulating action" is a false start - period.  ^flag

It's a cop-out, and a distinct lack of concentration on your part, if you let them get away with it.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline FLAHL

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 11:50:40 AM »
Redding's goes on to say "there is no general agreement among officials about what constitutes a false start by a back or split end.

Thanks Guys.  Sounds like there definitely IS general agreement among the people on this board.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 03:29:51 PM »
Early in my career, I got my yazz chewed by the white hat on a jumping RB who I flagged for false start.  It made me gun shy on flagging that one for a while. deadhorse: pi1eOn

HC- "HE MOVED, HE MOVED!!!!"
Me- "Sorry coach, that's the referee's call.  I'll be happy to go get him for you" >:D

Offline Curious

• FAN REACTION: +36/-50
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2014, 03:54:02 PM »
Not just a running back; but "any A player". 

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 07:19:18 AM »
"Simulating action" is a false start - period.  ^flag

It's a cop-out, and a distinct lack of concentration on your part, if you let them get away with it.
To me this is an easy call. Any lunge or lurch by A is easy to distinguish from motion and should be a false start ^flag. A coach ,trying to cover it up , saying : "Oh, he was only in motion ::)" can be answered : "Coach, he simulated action at the start." Remember, if the play gets off after your whistle, you may wish to ask the clock operator to add a couple of seconds to cover the time it ran after your tweet and before you could shut the play. This will tell the frenzied masses that what just happened didn't really. :)