Author Topic: Dead ball foul?  (Read 4064 times)

NJOfficial

Dead ball foul?
« on: January 20, 2015, 01:21:59 PM »
Green Bay sacked Wilson then a Seattle OL hit the Packer player late who got the sack.  Why isn't that a dead ball foul?

Offline bkdow

• FAN REACTION: +9/-3
  • Striving for the impossible level of perfection
Re: Dead ball foul?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 02:16:12 PM »
My understanding of the NFL rule in this regard (from an NFL official) is that it is considered continuing action so it is part of the play.  Since the foul was behind the LOS, it would have been enforced from the previous spot which was fewer yards than the sack itself.  Someone can correct me if I am incorrect.
"Don't let perfection get in the way of really good." John Lucivansky

Offline goodgrr

• Roger Goodgroves
  • FAN REACTION: +13/-12
  • We are always learning
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 07:25:02 AM »
Football Zebras agree with you: http://www.footballzebras.com/2015/01/18/12386/

See 8:02 third Q.  Seems like good logic to me, however I've not read the rule for the NFL.

Offline APG

• FAN REACTION: +1/-1
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 04:55:59 AM »
Football Zebras agree with you: http://www.footballzebras.com/2015/01/18/12386/

See 8:02 third Q.  Seems like good logic to me, however I've not read the rule for the NFL.

Continuing action would be important if there was a live ball foul by one team and a dead ball foul during the continuing action by the opponent. In this scenario, it would be a double foul and more than likely, the down is be replayed (there are exceptions...many of them lol).

The play should have been a dead ball penalty meaning the 15 would be enforced from the succeeding spot and the down counting.

Offline bkdow

• FAN REACTION: +9/-3
  • Striving for the impossible level of perfection
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 08:55:23 AM »
Continuing action would be important if there was a live ball foul by one team and a dead ball foul during the continuing action by the opponent. In this scenario, it would be a double foul and more than likely, the down is be replayed (there are exceptions...many of them lol).

The play should have been a dead ball penalty meaning the 15 would be enforced from the succeeding spot and the down counting.
I had asked an NFL official earlier in the year on a similar play and it was the explanation that he gave me.   ???
"Don't let perfection get in the way of really good." John Lucivansky

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +109/-35
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2015, 01:42:56 AM »
There's actually an A.R. in the NFL rule book which has a personal foul immediately after the ball becomes dead. Ruling - dead ball foul, 15 yards from the succeeding spot, down counts.