Author Topic: BDN biline: 'Texans endure ice storm with no power,heat'  (Read 928 times)

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
BDN biline: 'Texans endure ice storm with no power,heat'
« on: February 03, 2023, 11:25:57 AM »
When opening the Bangor Daily sNews, I usually go straight to the sports page but this biline caught my eye. I hope my forum friends are safe, sound and warm. Hopefully, a few days will you guys back to normal and it may make you feel better to know that we Mainers have a slight chill ...overnight predictions have us a 35 degrees BELOW the donut, with a wind chill of -50  :o . Hopefully , in a few days we,too, will be back to normal....life above the donut  8].

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Re: BDN biline: 'Texans endure ice storm with no power,heat'
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2023, 11:59:36 AM »
Those of us in areas that don't have population densities of 1 per 10 sf of land have not fared badly. We pretty well have ice and snow conditions figured out. But the "big cities" always struggle. Today, in my part of the country of Texas, we are fully normal, 100%. No school closings or delays. 51 degrees out right now, clear, sunny.
Thanks for thinking of us. Hope nothing bad is headin' your way.

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2023, 01:45:41 PM »
One of these days they will be smart enough to put the power lines underground so the weight of the ice and falling branches don’t break the lines!
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2023, 03:01:49 PM »
One of these days they will be smart enough to put the power lines underground so the weight of the ice and falling branches don’t break the lines!

I'm with you, but the cost of underground installation, plus the enormous cost and time expended to service buried lines, makes wholesale buried utilities very unattractive to the utility users, meaning mostly us taxpayers. Buried lines makes for a much more attractive landscape, and they offer superior resistance to the elements. But, if you have a large surface area of concrete (or asphalt) paving above the buried lines, and you lose continuity below that paving, ya gotta tear up a lot of paving to even find the 'trouble' (in many cases), much less effect repair.  And then ya gotta repair the paving, which ALWAYS looks like a patch. If the paved area is an actual traffic thoroughfare, then you gotta deal with re-routing traffic for some amount of time, which ALWAYS draws criticism and ill-will from the public. And, if utility users are without service for more than a few hours, there are enormous consequences, not the least of which is life safety.
If the utility providers weren't profit oriented (and who in business isn't?), they could easily bury the cross-country high-tension lines, making the open countryside MUCH more pleasing to the eye. On a few unusual (not rare, but unusual) occasions, I have seen large areas of countryside without any evidence of mankind. No power lines, no oil wells, no buildings, no fences, no windmills, no wind generators, no roads - just grasses, trees, bushes, hills, valleys, waterways, mountains, and wildlife. So, so beautiful.
I'm not a card-carrying liberal environmentalist, but I wish we could get more folks to respect the environment, and at least use a garbage can - stop throwin' s--- out the car window.
Everybody have a great weekend.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 03:41:06 PM by ElvisLives »

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2023, 09:15:15 PM »

In fairness to Power Companies (and taxpayers) where NEW power lines are needed, and physical layouts support underground facilities, where feasible, Underground lines may in fact be the installation of choice.  Replacing ALL overhead facilities, everywhere is not feasible, or practical.

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2023, 06:11:00 PM »
I remember years ago the only way to use a phone was to be connected by wire.  Maybe 50 years from now electricity will be wireless.

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2023, 06:48:30 PM »
I remember years ago the only way to use a phone was to be connected by wire.  Maybe 50 years from now electricity will be wireless.

That technology exists. The tricky part about it that it makes the area of transmission a giant microwave oven. It would be very difficult to keep from harming living tissue (humans, pets, plants, trees, etc.). And imagine a Mylar balloon flying through the transmission beam. Fzzzzttt.
Phone and internet waves are relatively low power, but some scientists are concerned about the massive amounts of electromagnetic radiation to which we are already exposed. We may have to start building schools and other buildings with EMR shields - essentially, giant Faraday cages.
But we digress.
71 degrees and sunshine all day, today. Marvelous.