Author Topic: Muddle Huddle - When, if ever, does it become Illegal?  (Read 3005 times)

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +99/-283
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
Muddle Huddle - When, if ever, does it become Illegal?
« on: December 03, 2021, 05:56:55 AM »
Repetitive scenario from one of yesterday's state championship games at Gillette Stadium:

Game clock is running and 40 second play clock is running. Team A who is consistently using all 40 seconds of the play clock is actually huddling near the numbers on their side of the field with coaches and multiple uniformed "non-players" (possible incoming substitutes?) on the field but half of them still outside the numbers.  In any given instance there would be between 12 and 15 or 16 A "players" in the "muddle".  Late in the play clock, 11 actual players would then hustle out to the ball, quickly line up and with an absolute minimum set time, snap the ball.  In at least 3 of these "muddle huddle" downs A scored TD's with B scurrying to match-up and clearly not ready at the snap.  Based on the number of times this was repeated IMHO it was a coached tactic to avoid B having any chance to match up prior to the snap.  Do we have anything?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 05:59:38 AM by NVFOA_Ump »
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2021, 06:00:44 AM »
Repetitive scenario from one of yesterday's state championship games at Gillette Stadium:

Game clock is running and 40 second play clock is running. Team A who is consistently using all 40 seconds of the play clock is actually huddling near the numbers on their side of the field with coaches and multiple uniformed "non-players" (possible incoming substitutes) on the field but half of them still outside the numbers.  In any given instance there would be between 12 and 15 or 16 A "players" in the "muddle".  Late in the play clock, 11 actual players would then hustle out to the ball, quickly line up and with an absolute minimum set time, snap the ball.  In at least 3 of these "muddle huddle" downs A scored TD's with B scurrying to match-up and clearly not ready at the snap.  Based on the number of times this was repeated IMHO it was a coached tactic to avoid B having any chance to match up prior to the snap.  Do we have anything?
Without seeing it, this sounds like a sub infraction. If we have more than 11 on the field after the ball is ready and nobody is trying to leave, I think I’d throw a substitution infraction flag.

I’ll also add that the only way a team can huddle on the field even outside the numbers with more than 11 is during an authorized conference.

I might also add it’s illegal for coaches to be on the field at any time other than charged conferences and in some cases officials timeouts. Certainly never while the game clock (or play clock, for that matter) is running.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 07:16:54 AM by CalhounLJ »

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
Re: Muddle Huddle - When, if ever, does it become Illegal?
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2021, 08:25:06 AM »
Agree with Calhoun.  Shut this nonsense down the first time it happens.

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2021, 08:47:43 AM »
(I'm not NHFS) but mechanically, I would think it would still be similar to how we do it (Texas/NCAA), where if you have a situation like that, even if you don't have a flag down for sub infraction, the U should be standing over the ball giving B time to match up, regardless of the amount of time left on the play clock.  Just my opinion though.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2021, 09:13:34 AM »
Agree with Calhoun.  Shut this nonsense down the first time it happens.

I agree with both your assessment, as well as remedy.

NFHS: 2-6-2 defines an "Authorized Team Conference. 

NFHS: 3-5-8a defines, and limits, when an Authorized Conference "may be used"
         1. a charged TO.
         2. officials TO (3-5-7g, k, i.)
         3. if granted by the R. 
« Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 09:16:23 AM by AlUpstateNY »

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2021, 09:47:31 AM »
(I'm not NHFS) but mechanically, I would think it would still be similar to how we do it (Texas/NCAA), where if you have a situation like that, even if you don't have a flag down for sub infraction, the U should be standing over the ball giving B time to match up, regardless of the amount of time left on the play clock.  Just my opinion though.

There's no rule or mechanic to hold the snap to allow a defensive matchup in NFHS. As soon as the :40 play clock was implemented, there was a lot of grousing that we're going to have to implement that rule as well, but it hasn't happened yet.

In my experiences, it's not been an issue and a last minute offensive sub tends to be due to offensive confusion rather than trying to deceive the defense, so there hasn't been a strong motivation to introduce the rule.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2021, 10:00:09 AM »
I agree with Calhoun;

I also agree with those that agree with Calhoun;

The best place to stop these shell-crackers (Mainer saying - others say 'foolishness')  is in pregame.

REF : "Any unusual plays  ??? ?"
COACH : "Ayuh, 'spect so, we got..muddle huddle.. 8] ."
REF : That ain't unusual that 'there is ILLEGAL, you pull that and I'll  ^flag for IS or you for USC for being on the field P_S...depending on ma' mood  8]."

Stop it before it starts adds to a smoother game  yEs:

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2021, 11:40:35 AM »
There's no rule or mechanic to hold the snap to allow a defensive matchup in NFHS. As soon as the :40 play clock was implemented, there was a lot of grousing that we're going to have to implement that rule as well, but it hasn't happened yet.

In my experiences, it's not been an issue and a last minute offensive sub tends to be due to offensive confusion rather than trying to deceive the defense, so there hasn't been a strong motivation to introduce the rule.

Oh wow, didn't realize that you guys didn't have that.  Maybe the fact that this happened in a championship game, and appeared to be intentional, will move the needle on that change.  (It's not a bad thing, IMO)

Offline KWH

• FAN REACTION: +633/-113
  • See it, Think about it, Pass on it if possible!
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2021, 12:35:58 PM »
If the coach brought it up in the Pre-game I agree with Ralph, let him know it is illegal and you will flag him.
If the coaches fails to mention it and/or runs it anyway:

I have three fouls: 3-7-6 ILS  Entering but not participating and 9-8-1i UNS - Being on the Field except as a substitute or replaced player r and 9-8-1f UNS Holding an Illegal Conference
All three are non-player fouls and so all three could be enforced but I would just pick one.
That should pretty much slow there roll and prevent it from happening again
« Last Edit: December 07, 2021, 04:13:53 PM by KWH »
SEE everything that you CALL, but; Don't CALL everything you SEE!
Never let the Rules Book get in the way of a great ball game!

Respectfully Submitted;
Some guy on a message forum

Offline AlUpstateNY

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2021, 06:35:03 PM »

Thankfully, NFHS:3-5-7-j still provides opportunity for the Referee (unilaterally) to declare an Official's TO "for ANY unusual delay in getting the ball ready for play." maintaining his control over interruptions to/ operation of the RFP interval.

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +99/-283
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2021, 07:10:48 PM »
Thankfully, NFHS:3-5-7-j still provides opportunity for the Referee (unilaterally) to declare an Official's TO "for ANY unusual delay in getting the ball ready for play." maintaining his control over interruptions to/ operation of the RFP interval.
The ball is already RFP, so how would 3-5-7-j fit this scenario?
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2021, 07:54:06 PM »
Nm
« Last Edit: December 04, 2021, 07:21:05 AM by CalhounLJ »

Offline AlUpstateNY

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2021, 12:35:46 PM »
The ball is already RFP, so how would 3-5-7-j fit this scenario?

The R,  observing the unnecessary delay, could simply Stop the clock, end the  conference ((3-5-7g, k, i.)/or offer the Coach an opportunity to call a charged TO, and, when appropriate, re-declare the ball RFP. 

Hopefully, the necessity to do so would only happen once, avoiding invoking 3/6/2e.

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2021, 12:50:37 PM »
Oh wow, didn't realize that you guys didn't have that.  Maybe the fact that this happened in a championship game, and appeared to be intentional, will move the needle on that change.  (It's not a bad thing, IMO)

Maybe if teams start picking up on it and trying to a quick last minute sub as a rule, but probably not as a one-off incident.

Even then, this incident wasn't just exploiting a last moment substitution -- it was an illegal substitution that should be flagged, not just holding the snap to allow for a match up. If other teams try to copy this, there should be flags as a response without changing any rules or interpretations.

Offline AlUpstateNY

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2021, 02:29:18 PM »
Maybe if teams start picking up on it and trying to a quick last minute sub as a rule, but probably not as a one-off incident.

Even then, this incident wasn't just exploiting a last moment substitution -- it was an illegal substitution that should be flagged, not just holding the snap to allow for a match up. If other teams try to copy this, there should be flags as a response without changing any rules or interpretations.

Several ways to "skin a cat", depend on what the specific intent & objective may be.

Offline KWH

• FAN REACTION: +633/-113
  • See it, Think about it, Pass on it if possible!
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2021, 08:06:05 PM »
Several ways to "skin a cat", depend on what the specific intent & objective may be.

ALF - A better way of saying what YOU are attempting to say is:
Never let the Rules Book get in the way of a good ball game!
SEE everything that you CALL, but; Don't CALL everything you SEE!
Never let the Rules Book get in the way of a great ball game!

Respectfully Submitted;
Some guy on a message forum

Offline AlUpstateNY

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2021, 11:15:35 AM »
ALF - A better way of saying what YOU are attempting to say is:
Never let the Rules Book get in the way of a good ball game!

Always appreciate constructive advice, KWH, but I'm not sure where your advice was going.  I was merely trying to suggest there are a number of different remedies, from a choice of penalties to a simple, but direct, reminder to the team to end their "discussion" and avoid inappropriate delay. 

Of course if this was a repetitive tactic, as opposed to an isolated oversight the decision should reflect what is being observed in this specific instance as opposed to a blanket conclusion.   

Offline PABJNR

• FAN REACTION: +12/-3
  • When a whistle stops a play it is inadvertent
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2021, 05:22:36 AM »
1st time this occurred, I would issue a sideline warning, not a verbal an actual warning, during administration I would advise coach, I gave you the warning so I didn’t have to give you an illegal substitution. 

I would advise the coach if you want to huddle like this only 11 players and stay in the coaches box.  If there are 12 in the huddle longer than 3 seconds it will be a illegal substitution. 

Problem solved without a yardage penalty, play on, stick to your word.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You don't have to call everything you see...but you have to see everything you call!

Offline refjeff

• FAN REACTION: +19/-30
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2021, 06:45:48 AM »
I don't believe that you get to a state championship game without knowing what you are doing.

Either they are intentionally committing multiple fouls to gain an unfair advantage, or they are unbelievably unorganized and confused and have been lucky to win as many games as they have.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2021, 07:31:28 AM by refjeff »

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2021, 06:46:56 AM »
Exactly. I pick theory #1.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline yarnnelg

• FAN REACTION: +55/-37
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2021, 06:52:17 PM »
As a Line Judge ...I best be in my position on the sideline ...If the clock is running that means I'm behind this mess. I will openly warn coaches they aren't to be on the field. When the huddle with thirteen breaks and heads to the ball, with two remaining to join the sidelines ... ...warnings are not appropriate ....flag flies. Illegal Substitution.