Author Topic: Officiating in New york City  (Read 3454 times)

cbrocett01

Officiating in New york City
« on: May 29, 2012, 11:43:42 AM »
I just got back from New York City. Big experience for this Florida boy. Anyways, I tried looking it up on-line and asking some locals. Where do the high schools play games in NYC? I spent most of my time in Manhattan, so there may be some fields in the burrows that I didn't run across. Are there any football fields in Manhattan... I ran across the little league field in the southern portion of the islands, but not a single football field. Also what is the pay for high school and pop warner (youth) games in the city?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
Re: Officiating in New york City
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 01:57:41 PM »
depending on what part of FL you are, you could throw a rock and hit someone from NYC that would have that info for you. 
In my little assn alone, we have 2 former NYC guys - although they were working in NYC over 15 yrs ago...

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 04:17:56 PM »
Not sure about NYC, but across the river in Union City, NJ, they play on the roof:

Here's an article about it:

http://athleticbusiness.com/articles/article.aspx?articleid=3570&zoneid=27

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 08:34:59 PM »
On one of the NY regional sports networks, they used to have a replay/highlight show on Sat. mornings.  Seems like there wasn't much on Manhattan but the outer burroughs, Long Island and the suburbs.  I've not seen the show in 2-3 years so apparently fb isn't all that big there. 

Seems like I've seen posts that they still use 4 man crews and some play in the afternoons and not so much Friday nights.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 11:46:38 AM by HLinNC »

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 10:02:59 PM »
Soccer and lacrosse are probably bigger in the NYC area than is football. Years ago, high school games in the suburbs were played on Saturday afternoons and many of the parochial leagues played on Sundays.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Harry

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 04:58:50 PM »
There are some fields in Manhattan.  Games are played in all 5 buroughs.  I think there's some PSAL guys on this website.  Here's the website for the PSAL Football Officials Association: www.psalfoa.org

I think the city pays $108 for Varsity.  Not sure about youth.

NY metro area football games are shown on local channels.  So you won't see them on the Fox Affiliate or something like that.  You'll see them on "MSG Varsity" or "Verizon 1."  Those channels are dedicated to HS sports and do a decent job.

Football is pretty big on the island and surrounding area, but the city and Long Island do not participate in the state tournament.  PSAL uses 4 man crews as do some other parts of NY state.  I think PSAL has a lot of varsity games on Sunday.  Other areas are mostly Saturday with some Friday nights.

Soccer and Lacrosse are popular as well.  Lacrosse is increasing in popularity.  I don't think NY will ever have spring football because it would take too many kids away from Lacrosse, Track, etc.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 07:54:54 PM »
Seems like the show I used to see came on either SNY or one of the multiple MSG channels.  MSG Varsity isn't one of my options on DirecTV.