Author Topic: So Long...  (Read 1611 times)

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
So Long...
« on: April 24, 2023, 06:07:28 PM »
Guys, I have thoroughly enjoyed my time on this board. I have learned much from all these discussions. You all have made me a better official. That being said, I made the decision today to retire after 33 years. My new job will require more time, to the point I can't continue to officiate football. So, I'm moving on to other things. Once again, thanks and God bless.
Kenneth.

Offline GA Umpire

• Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +30/-3
Re: So Long...
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2023, 06:33:58 PM »
Guys, I have thoroughly enjoyed my time on this board. I have learned much from all these discussions. You all have made me a better official. That being said, I made the decision today to retire after 33 years. My new job will require more time, to the point I can't continue to officiate football. So, I'm moving on to other things. Once again, thanks and God bless.
Kenneth.

You will be missed.
Good luck in your new endeavor.

Online dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2023, 07:22:14 PM »
Thank you for all you have done for this board; you have many officials better through your contributions here.  Best wishes in the future!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2023, 07:48:01 PM by dammitbobby »

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2023, 07:24:38 PM »
Just because you are leaving the field, you can always give back to other officials on this board.

Best of luck in your endeavors but please stay in touch
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline Derek Teigen

• FAN REACTION: +19/-1
  • Committed to the game; safety and sportsmanship
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2023, 08:42:43 PM »
you helped me out so much over the past few years.  I valued your experience and patient feedback to my questions.  You would make a great mentor or evaluator and any association would be lucky to have you.  Godspeed and God Bless America.  You've helped keep her great.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2023, 08:44:27 PM by Derek Teigen »

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2023, 10:22:22 PM »
Aw man, that sucks.   Sorry, but I understand that it happens sometimes.  33 years is a great run.

tiphat:

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2023, 06:31:33 AM »
Just because you are leaving the field, you can always give back to other officials on this board.

Best of luck in your endeavors but please stay in touch

This.

Good luck, and stay in touch here, please!

Online ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2023, 09:04:54 AM »
The time comes for all of us. It does not mean your contributions won't continue, through those that have learned and prospered from your participation. Enjoy the next life, but this life will always be a part of you, and you will always be a part of us.
Be safe and happy.

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +99/-283
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2023, 10:12:04 AM »
Thanks for all of the guidance that you have provided to me and the rest of us that post and read this board.  Your feedback has always been a catalyst to read and read some more to better understand how we need to officiate.  Again, many thanks for that and best of luck down the road!
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2023, 01:39:19 PM »
Kenneth -

We've all enjoyed and benefited from your knowledge and banter. You have a very strong knowledge of the game, and while we didn't agree on everything (it would be boring if we did) , thank you for keeping all of us on our toes. I hope you can still find time to shareyour opinions as we value them highly.

-Ralph  tiphat:

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2023, 03:41:56 PM »
Thank you for your past perspectives and willingness to advance discussions.

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2023, 12:44:47 PM »
Well, I’m back. Called back into service because of lack of bodies. The shortage is real around here.

Can someone tell me how to get the rule and case book for free on the NFHS app? I forgot how to do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2023, 01:27:48 PM »
Welcome back!

« Last Edit: July 12, 2023, 01:31:42 PM by VALJ »

Offline george7244

• FAN REACTION: +6/-14
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2023, 01:30:04 PM »
Welcome back.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2023, 02:21:46 PM »
Good...no GREAT news, Kenneth. Your imput is valuable to us. Your area's problem is nation-wide as today our four chapters' assignors are meeting to reslove how to cover all our games.

Online ElvisLives

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2023, 03:06:41 PM »
Your area's problem is nation-wide as today our four chapters' assignors are meeting to reslove how to cover all our games.

I am convinced that we supply officials to the schools in the order that they are requested. When the demand exceeds the supply, we simply say, "Sorry. Everybody we have are already assigned. Good luck." We continue to recruit as best as non-profit organizations can. But this is not a problem of our making, and we should not be the ones to assume the primary burden of correcting the problem.
When they have to cancel/postpone contests due to inability to procure officials, athletic associations will simply have to step up and rebuke, and penalize, those that abuse officials - spectators and team affiliates; provide resolute security at all contests; and offer greatly improved compensation.
End of story.

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2023, 04:49:23 PM »

I am convinced that we supply officials to the schools in the order that they are requested. When the demand exceeds the supply, we simply say, "Sorry. Everybody we have are already assigned. Good luck." We continue to recruit as best as non-profit organizations can. But this is not a problem of our making, and we should not be the ones to assume the primary burden of correcting the problem.
When they have to cancel/postpone contests due to inability to procure officials, athletic associations will simply have to step up and rebuke, and penalize, those that abuse officials - spectators and team affiliates; provide resolute security at all contests; and offer greatly improved compensation.
End of story.
I’m game. We are not there yet in my association. We are working with our schools to get them to move games to Thursday night so we can cover them. Mixed results so far.

Online ElvisLives

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2023, 05:51:10 PM »
And, sorry. Didn’t mean to hijack the thread. Welcome back. Hope it can still be fun for you. Be safe.

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2023, 06:20:01 PM »
Not a problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2023, 06:38:40 PM »

End of story.

In addition to the order of the requests, I also look at what towns are contributing to the pool of officials.  I look at the towns we cover and if we don't have anyone in those towns that officiates, then they are lacking in community service.  If your community wants officials, then send us some to become officials.

Offline HLinNC

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2023, 08:10:38 PM »
Can someone tell me how to get the rule and case book for free on the NFHS app? I forgot how to do that.

https://nfhs.org/sports-resource-content/nfhs-rules-app-information/
« Last Edit: July 12, 2023, 08:14:52 PM by HLinNC »

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2023, 11:50:35 AM »

Offline HLinNC

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2023, 06:42:11 PM »
Thanks HL - just what i was looking for..

Just messaged you some updated info I got a little while ago.

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2023, 09:31:35 AM »
Just messaged you some updated info I got a little while ago.
I got it. Thanks.