Author Topic: 2023 NFHS Rule Interpretation Meeting  (Read 5056 times)

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
Re: 2023 NFHS Rule Interpretation Meeting
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2023, 08:57:44 AM »
Hmmm, well ok….  ::) 

I suppose I should just fall back on this great advice: 

https://youtu.be/9fYngTUZeUQ

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2023, 11:26:45 AM »
Here is the clarification from the NFHS which Ralph speaks of -

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
2023 NFHS Rule Interpretation Meeting
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2023, 01:52:16 PM »
Whoever wrote this rule change has absolutely no concept of the difference between basic spot and spot of enforcement (or spots in general.) How can people like that be allowed to write rules? 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2023, 02:01:00 PM »
Lets no even go there Brian - Just replace Succeeding Spot End of the Run or Related Run
Why do we not need to go there? It’s a legit question.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2023, 03:12:50 PM »
Whoever wrote this rule change has absolutely no concept of the difference between basic spot and spot of enforcement (or spots in general.) How can people like that be allowed to write rules? 

Maybe whomever created this rule revision could ask Kamala Harris to assess and explain it.

Offline sj

• FAN REACTION: +5/-0
« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2023, 04:16:38 PM »
Here is the clarification from the NFHS which Ralph speaks of -

"In compiling the multitude of changes to Rule 10 necessitated by the discussion around the proposed 2023 NFHS football rules change that was approved unanimously, there remains two additional clarifications to be made for coaches, administrators and game officials for the upcoming 2023 high school football season.

To summarize, if on-field game situations involving a loss of possession create a conflict between the end of the run or related run and the succeeding spot, game officials should apply the standard related to the end of the run as intended by the cleanup in Rule 10-4-8.  This does not apply to fouls as detailed in Rule 10-4-5a through 10-4-5d which explicitly call for succeeding spot enforcement (the spot where the ball will next be put in play per Rule 2-41-10).  Rule 2-41-9b will help clarify those situations in which conflict might exist."

Is this online anywhere in the form of an announcement? Thanks.

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2023, 05:03:18 PM »
Maybe whomever created this rule revision could ask Kamala Harris to assess and explain it.

Was that necessary? Can we keep political comments off of this board?

Offline Patrick E.

• FAN REACTION: +6/-3
« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2023, 05:55:25 PM »

This language was provided in a supplemental interpretation PP slide provided by the NFHS to state offices.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2023, 07:14:56 PM »
Was that necessary? Can we keep political comments off of this board?

No "Political" inference intended, just a recent & clearly recognizable example of double-talk.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #59 on: July 14, 2023, 08:03:17 PM »

Clarifications normally get released on the NFHS website, just like when the rule changes come out.  I've been keeping a check on it since after the 4th of July when all this correction talk began to pick up, but so far nothing has been updated there.

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2023, 03:20:44 PM »
I’m not and never have been an NFHS official, so I know my opinion holds no weight, but here it is anyway. Having been a member of this forum for a long time, I’ve seen quite a few discussions of fed changes that bring y’all’s rules closer to or totally in line with NCAA. Penalty enforcement on kicks, tackle box exception for grounding, and now this. One thing that always sticks out to me is that NFHS always seems to try to reinvent the wheel. Rather than just say “We want our rule to be like NCAA, so we’re going to use their rule” they have to try to do it themselves and make it way more complicated, convoluted, or vague than it needs to be. It’s almost like they go out of their way to not use the blueprint that NCAA has already laid out just for the sake of being able to say they didn’t copy NCAA. And then invariably they miss something or don’t use the best language and it’s a mess. Again, I know y’all probably don’t care what an outsider says, but I feel like y’all would be better off if you just copied the language from NCAA and left it at that.
I’ve been NFHS official over 30 years and have seen many rule changes. You are spot on.

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #61 on: July 16, 2023, 09:45:00 AM »
I’ve been NFHS official over 30 years and have seen many rule changes. You are spot on.

I always say that year 1 is when they put in what they want, then year 2 fixes the unintended consequences of the verbiage from year one, then year 3 is usually when the tweak enough of THOSE unintended consequences and get the rule where they wanted it in the first place.

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +99/-283
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
« Reply #62 on: July 16, 2023, 09:50:25 AM »
:thumbup :bOW

As a 25 year + official who for 20 of those years worked NCAA rules exclusively I agree.  When we're changing the rules to effectively be virtually identical to NCAA rules why try to invent totally different language to describe?  I'd be happy to pay $12.00 as a "NFHS Membership Fee" and simply use the NCAA rulebook with an NFHS addendum defining the real differences.
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline HLinNC

« Reply #63 on: July 16, 2023, 03:30:03 PM »
I just took a look at Georgia HSA training power point for 2023 and the last page mentions this statement-

Fouls by B in A End Zone 
   These are currently under editorial review. Disagreements exist
   as Rule 10-4-7 clearly conflicts with new rule 10-4-2d.

Overall a pretty good rule change training tool.    https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1TtnNBnm9XsWb50HNpvNpwBlh0FQHGEjM/edit?pli=1#slide=id.p10

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #64 on: July 17, 2023, 03:13:12 PM »
:thumbup :bOW

As a 25 year + official who for 20 of those years worked NCAA rules exclusively I agree.  When we're changing the rules to effectively be virtually identical to NCAA rules why try to invent totally different language to describe?  I'd be happy to pay $12.00 as a "NFHS Membership Fee" and simply use the NCAA rulebook with an NFHS addendum defining the real differences.

UPDATE: Our assigning secretary just told me the best way to navigate this nightmare is to buy an NCAA rulebook and enforce penalties according to it...

That's what is going to happen across the country if this ineptitude is allowed to continue in NFHS.

Offline Patrick E.

• FAN REACTION: +6/-3
« Reply #65 on: July 17, 2023, 03:50:38 PM »
I just took a look at Georgia HSA training power point for 2023 and the last page mentions this statement-

Fouls by B in A End Zone 
   These are currently under editorial review. Disagreements exist
   as Rule 10-4-7 clearly conflicts with new rule 10-4-2d.

Overall a pretty good rule change training tool.    https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1TtnNBnm9XsWb50HNpvNpwBlh0FQHGEjM/edit?pli=1#slide=id.p10

It seems 10-4-7 should apply only after a change of possession.
1. A-B-A : A is responsible for forcing the ball across its own goal line and B fouls
2. A-B : B is responsible for forcing the ball across its own goal line and A fouls

Offline HLinNC

« Reply #66 on: July 18, 2023, 07:37:51 AM »
UPDATE: Our assigning secretary just told me the best way to navigate this nightmare is to buy an NCAA rulebook and enforce penalties according to it...

One used to be able to download a PDF version for free.  Its been a while since I tried.

The "clarification" issued yesterday was as clear as mud.  I told my umpire last night after the meeting that some of this is going to get fouled up bad in a game but in reality, we'll be the only ones that will know it.  Bad attitude, I know.

Offline Snapper

• FAN REACTION: +14/-2
« Reply #67 on: July 18, 2023, 07:52:00 AM »
One used to be able to download a PDF version for free.  Its been a while since I tried.

The "clarification" issued yesterday was as clear as mud.  I told my umpire last night after the meeting that some of this is going to get fouled up bad in a game but in reality, we'll be the only ones that will know it.  Bad attitude, I know.

Yes, you can download it for free:   https://www.ncaapublications.com/p-4669-2023-ncaa-football-rules-book.aspx

The NCAA is, IMO, a very greedy organization.  But even they seem to realize that there is value to getting their rulebook out to everyone that may need it.  Unlike the NFHS, which if you try to download their rule change powerpoint, wants $60 bucks!  (Talk about greed...)

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #68 on: July 18, 2023, 08:23:40 AM »

I updated my Penalty Enforcement For Beginners doc for the new rule change.  I keep all but one in there and teach the exceptions.  This makes more sense.  They are highlighted in yellow.  If you focus on those, you'll be ok.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OZnNQj7o-fX6lM5I0s3_n2HTD7hBHgegIZI1ZarEtDQ/edit

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #69 on: July 18, 2023, 08:40:53 AM »
I updated my Penalty Enforcement For Beginners doc for the new rule change.  I keep all but one in there and teach the exceptions.  This makes more sense.  They are highlighted in yellow.  If you focus on those, you'll be ok.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OZnNQj7o-fX6lM5I0s3_n2HTD7hBHgegIZI1ZarEtDQ/edit
Thanks bossman.

Offline HLinNC

« Reply #70 on: July 18, 2023, 05:05:37 PM »
The NCAA is, IMO, a very greedy organization.  But even they seem to realize that there is value to getting their rulebook out to everyone that may need it.  Unlike the NFHS, which if you try to download their rule change powerpoint, wants $60 bucks!  (Talk about greed...)

Stay tuned.  NC usually posts a link for it after the state clinics are done.  I normally post it when they do.