Author Topic: Sideline  (Read 4010 times)

Offline Patrick E.

• FAN REACTION: +6/-3
Sideline
« on: September 02, 2016, 10:57:19 AM »

Offline BrendanP

• FAN REACTION: +19/-252
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Re: Sideline
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 12:19:24 PM »
Oy. I'd hate to have the game decided by that wavy sideline.

Offline LAZebra

• FAN REACTION: +4/-1
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2016, 12:44:47 PM »
I have been on fields where we knew from the start we would not have a measurement or where you decided ahead of time what your "when in doubt" decision would be on the side line.
None of these fans paid to see us

Offline IA Linesman

• FAN REACTION: +1/-1
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2016, 12:47:52 PM »
I don't know that I have seen one this bad but I would say that some smaller schools in Iowa are nearly as bad.  We just advise the coaches that the line is the line and that we can't rule on where the line 'should' be.  I have seen the back corner of the endzone start up the root of a tree.  If I ever go back I'll try to snap a picture and share.  We simply report to the state and play on.   hEaDbAnG

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2016, 02:06:15 PM »
But at least the line for the team box is straight!  ;D

Offline GAHSUMPIRE

• FAN REACTION: +19/-3
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 03:35:29 PM »
"Typically the field is painted by crews from the host school. We're not sure who exactly is responsible for this one."

Of course we are. It was this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nmgice3ieZ4

Offline riffraft

• FAN REACTION: +18/-19
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2016, 04:35:04 PM »
I had a pee wee game last Saturday, where there were no lines at all. Used the end zone pylons to sort of just the sideline and the goal line. Thank goodness nothing was really close for either game. No measurement. we judge whether 1st or not. Definitely strange, but none of the teams wanted to have to make up the games later. Someone with either the league or the recreation department screwed up

Offline Matt

• FAN REACTION: +17/-3
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2016, 12:36:27 AM »
I once worked on a field lined like that.(I think the crew had a few of Ralph's lobster martinis for lunch!) If you made the line to gain depended were you were on the field as their was not a straight yard line to be found. We had two lines marked as the 50 so one goal line was marked as the 10. Interestingly the side lines and goal lines were straight.(Must have done those before lunch!)

Offline ref4e

• FAN REACTION: +2/-2
  • An outstanding official usually doesn't stand out
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2016, 09:39:02 AM »
Several years ago, (I was white hat) during pre-game, our linesman came over and said, "we've got a problem".  He proceeded to have me come over to where he was instructing the chain crew and checking the chains.   The 20 yard line, although straight, was painted from the 19 yard line on the home side to the 21 yard line on the visitors side.    I got both head coaches together and showed them the problem.    Home coach's statement?     "That's the last time I let the *&^%$ in school suspension class paint the field."

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2016, 09:44:57 AM »
We just advise the coaches that the line is the line and that we can't rule on where the line 'should' be.   We simply report to the state and play on.

All we can do, is all we can do.  As Forrest Guump advised, "S--- Happens", then we have to deal with it.

Offline Ironhead17

• FAN REACTION: +3/-2
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2016, 11:58:27 AM »
You've got to realize, we're talking about Pickens County here. Home of the Taters. It comes w/ the territory.