Author Topic: 3-4-7  (Read 1367 times)

Offline Patrick E.

• FAN REACTION: +6/-3
3-4-7
« on: September 01, 2022, 05:47:59 PM »
3-4-7 states "When a foul is committed with less than two minutes remaining in either half, the offended team will have the option to start the game clock on the snap." (underlining mine)

With less than two minutes remaining in either half, there is a play ending inbounds and a live ball double foul.  Do both teams have the option to start the clock on the snap?

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
3-4-7
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2022, 08:24:49 PM »
I initially answered no, but then vaguely remembered a case play in the Redding book. While it wasn’t the exact situation, it was a live ball foul by one team followed by a dead ball by the other team. In that case, both teams were consulted. The opponents of the live ball foul got first choice. If they declined, the other team was consulted. So I’m going to say yes here. We will ask both teams and if one wants to start on snap we will comply.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 02, 2022, 06:18:51 AM by CalhounLJ »

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +99/-283
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
Re: 3-4-7
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2022, 06:09:37 AM »
No clear rule coverage for this but we have discussed the intent of the rule, preventing a team from gaining a clock advantage by fouling, so the thought has been since both teams have fouled, then the clock should follow regular timing rules from outside the 2 minute window.
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline lukez

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2022, 11:02:39 PM »
3-4-7 states "When a foul is committed with less than two minutes remaining in either half, the offended team will have the option to start the game clock on the snap." (underlining mine)

When I saw that you'd underlined the word committed, I thought you were going to ask if you need to check at the game clock when you throw your flag in order to have the precise time of when it was committed.  ;-)

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2022, 06:22:36 AM »
When I saw that you'd underlined the word committed, I thought you were going to ask if you need to check at the game clock when you throw your flag in order to have the precise time of when it was committed.  ;-)
Editorial change in the book this year. Committed as opposed to accepted. Last year, to get the option the offended team had to accept the penalty. Now they don’t. They can decline and still get the option to have the clock start on the snap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2022, 09:44:37 AM »
Editorial change in the book this year. Committed as opposed to accepted. Last year, to get the option the offended team had to accept the penalty. Now they don’t. They can decline and still get the option to have the clock start on the snap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The rationale to this was A could have a 20 yard gain while B had 12 men on the field. A can now take the play and have clock start on the snap.

Offline KWH

• FAN REACTION: +633/-113
  • See it, Think about it, Pass on it if possible!
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2022, 05:14:26 PM »
The rationale to this was A could have a 20 yard gain while B had 12 men on the field. A can now take the play and have clock start on the snap.

:patrioticon:
SEE everything that you CALL, but; Don't CALL everything you SEE!
Never let the Rules Book get in the way of a great ball game!

Respectfully Submitted;
Some guy on a message forum