Author Topic: Penalty Enforcement  (Read 1291 times)

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +99/-283
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
Penalty Enforcement
« on: December 03, 2021, 07:19:42 PM »
A 1st & 10 at the 50 yd line.  A-QB is in shotgun formation at the A42 yd line with running back A-26 to his left.  At the snap, QB fakes a pass then on a delayed draw turns and hands the ball off to A-26 then immediately grabs the oncoming B defender as he is about to tackle A-26.  A-26 ends up being tackled at the B45 yd line for a 5 yard gain. We have a flag for a take down holding penalty against the A-QB back at the A42 yard line.  Penalty is accepted.  Where is the ball spotted after the penalty enforcement?
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Re: Penalty Enforcement
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2021, 07:33:25 PM »
A32? This seems too simple.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• High School (MA & RI)
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2021, 07:37:26 PM »
A32? This seems too simple.

Except it was just enforced from the previous spot during an NFHS streamed state championship game.
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2021, 07:38:08 PM »
Except it was just enforced from the previous spot during an NFHS streamed state championship game.
Oooh. Wasn’t Mississippi was it?

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• High School (MA & RI)
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2021, 07:38:58 PM »
Oooh. Wasn’t Mississippi was it?

No, MA.  Games being played at Gillette Stadium and being streamed live on the NFHS network with 1 camera on the 50 yard line and real time only w/o any replays.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 08:01:59 PM by NVFOA_Ump »

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2021, 06:17:16 AM »
he ref musta' been :
(1) A NCAA guy forgetting that the Commonwealth is now under NFHS rules; :o
(2) Dreaming that he was working a Patriot game; ::)
(3) Awoke thinking it as 2022 and it was a new NFHS rule. ???

While if you make a mistake that only you realize, you might be able to keep that a secret  :-X , IF you make a mistake the entire viewing fans of the Bay State sees :!# , the lobster is out if the crate ( some non-Mainers may say 'the cat is out of the bag') :puke:

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2021, 06:34:19 AM »
We have a couple WHs down this way who work Juco and high school. They routinely apply NCAA rules to the high school game on Friday night because “nobody knows the difference.”  Drives me nuts.  Thankfully, they are not in our association. Why the assignor let’s them by with it is beyond me.

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• High School (MA & RI)
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2021, 07:27:15 AM »
One of the things I have noticed is that we here in MA have had a bit of difficulty in the changeover from NCAA to NFHS rules.  2019 was NFHS year 1 and most of us, including coaches, and we were in a steep learning curve so IMHO most of the "errors" were overlooked.  Year 2 of NFHS rules (2020) was Covid and a "Fall II" abbreviated season in the spring when everyone was thankful to just play a few games.  We lost a significant number of senior officials since 2019 and seem to have regressed in our education on NFHS rules for 2021.  There is also a clear issue with NCAA college officials who also work our high school games interchanging penalties and penalty enforcement from the NCAA domain.  Hopefully we'll continue to learn, improve, and the 2022 season goes better.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2021, 08:39:03 AM by NVFOA_Ump »