Author Topic: Impoper Field Markings  (Read 6648 times)

Offline fudilligas

• FAN REACTION: +12/-6
Impoper Field Markings
« on: November 22, 2015, 01:52:52 PM »
Had this field set up for playoff game last Friday.
1. field markings barely visible, including sidelines, hash marks and 5 yd line on the entire field
2. distance between 5 yd lines was less than 5 yds in some areas and more than 5 yards in others hEaDbAnG
3. chains were 9 yds and 2 ft long, measured against end zone which was 10 yards long hEaDbAnG hEaDbAnG.
4. at one point first post was on the 10 1/2 yd line and the LTG post was in the end zone, I marked it as 1st and goal  hEaDbAnG hEaDbAnG hEaDbAnG
Informed both coaches that since the field was lined incorrectly we would be using the chains, as it was the only constant, as the line to gain even though it was short.  Also told them that it may be possible to have a 1st and 10 at the 20, have the play end at the 30 and not have a 1st down, conversely, we may have a 1st and 10 at the 30, have the play end at the 39 and have a first down.  This was all due to the improperly lined field.

And to top it off, this was the top ranked team in their class...I am under the opinion that the field was like this all year and the officials did not say anything.

Would like comments on how you would have handled this situation.

Offline FLAHL

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
Re: Impoper Field Markings
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 02:19:23 PM »
Not much you can do about the field markings. Bad situation, but you have to live with it, and then let the state know what happened. Sounds like you did a good job of informing the coaches.

If possible, correct the chain length to 10 yards.

Offline yarnnelg

• FAN REACTION: +55/-37
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 04:18:37 PM »
With bad field markings, did you run a tape on the chains? The problems may have been far greater than you think.

I have a contractor's eye and can see if lines are parallel or not. We measured one side and everything seemed OK. But the more I looked across the field, the more I was convinced something was wrong. We walked the chains across the field and stretched them. Off by six inches. the whole field was off at one end ....

Not much you can do, play with what you have. In the last few weeks you see no lines in front of the benches and other areas where all the grass is gone. Makes life a lot of fun.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 04:36:31 PM »

And to top it off, this was the top ranked team in their class...I am under the opinion that the field was like this all year and the officials did not say anything.

I certainly don't know anything about the other officials you work with, but there's likely a good possibility that EVERY crew that worked on that field, and experienced similar conditions, mentioned the problems to game management, and they are the ones who chose to ignore the problem.

ECILLJ

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 05:53:33 PM »
Mother Nature took charge of the field markings during the semi-final round this weekend in Illinois. Snow covered gridirons were played on throughout much of the State.  tiphat: to the all the school custodians and their crews who did the best they could keeping sidelines and yard lines cleaned off. 30 to 40 mph wind gusts were also occurring. The  z^ are still warming themselves by the fire.  :bOW

Offline J12

• FAN REACTION: +5/-4
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2015, 06:20:33 PM »
When I see the officials checking the chain pregame, I've always wondered what would happen is it was slightly off. Do high schools typically have a spare chain available if there's a problem?

Martin Kiff

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2015, 08:39:13 PM »
Always pack a few zip ties to repair, shorten or extend the chains.  As far as the poorly marked field,  our section would honor an officials report and not grant the school a playoff game.  We have run into spred offense schools that have shortened the distance between the hashes to college length.  One phone call and their next round game is at a different sight that they have to pay for.  Moral of the story is report all problems during the season so we don't have to deal with it in the playoffs.  On another note, worked a second round game last week at a school I have worked multiple playoff games in the past.  This school produces 3 to 4 D-1 players every year.  In the past they were coached by an ex-NFL player who talked a lot of smack.  His teams probably averaged 5 unsportsmanlike fouls a game along with a number of personal fouls.  Same school, new ex-NFL player coach, zero big fouls.  Never heard a peep from the sideline.  A perfect example of players actions come straight from their coach.

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2015, 10:14:42 AM »
You need to report this to either the conference or your state governing body for them to fix it.

Offline RMR

• FAN REACTION: +10/-6
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2015, 02:54:07 PM »
When I see the officials checking the chain pregame, I've always wondered what would happen is it was slightly off. Do high schools typically have a spare chain available if there's a problem?

We had a situation like this once - the chain had broken the week before and been replaced - but they bought exactly 30 feet worth of chain - so when the stakes were snapped on there was about an extra 4-5 inches of length but that was easily fixed.
"Just because you don't understand it, doesn't mean it's wrong."

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2015, 02:56:55 PM »

Had a game years ago, checked the chains and they are in three pieces. LJ and I used three shoestrings and two rolls of tape to fix them. Head coach then walks up and says " where are the new chains, somebody brought the old ones out"
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Shoottv

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2015, 07:04:26 PM »
we have a similar field in out area. Just poorly marked. We always tell the coaches if we start on a big line we go to the 2nd big line. If between we use the chains.

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2015, 07:47:23 AM »

If you need to lengthen the chain you might be SOL.  You might be able to use a zip tie.  If you have to shorten the chain, you can usually adjust a link or two where the chain meets the stick on the clip.  Or you can use zip ties.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2015, 09:55:32 AM »
Great place to keep a zip-tie, cable-tie is inside the inside band around your cap.  You'll never notice you have it, may never need it for as long as you keep that cap, but when you, or someone else on your crew has a problem with a chain, you'll be GLAD you kept it.

refjoe77

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2015, 01:18:42 PM »
Our HL needed one this year and he had it in his hat.  He was so excited when he got to use it.  He has been carrying it for years and never needed it.  We gave him an extra sNiCkErS after the game.

Offline yarnnelg

• FAN REACTION: +55/-37
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2015, 05:29:00 PM »
Working chains, I carry my disc with a double hasp clip. Then a second double hasp clip with about five zip ties rubber banded on the clip. At one end of the hasp there is a spare whistle. You can't imagine the number of times someone looks in my direction and needs something out of my special kit.

I can expand or reduce the length of the chains with my little set.