Author Topic: Testing  (Read 17961 times)

Offline SCHSref

• FAN REACTION: +15/-10
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
Testing
« on: June 15, 2015, 06:29:54 PM »
Just curious how each state association tests the officials prior to the season.   We have a 100 question true/false test composed by the state director.   Anything below a 70 and you ain't writing on Fridays.
If you didn't see it, you can't call it

Offline stevegarbs

• FAN REACTION: +4/-2
Testing
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 07:12:59 PM »
Illinois has a home-cooked 25 question test. You get 50 questions to study before you log on. Open book. Score translates into power points for playoff assignments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
Re: Testing
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 07:17:53 PM »
We're required to view the NFHS PowerPoint and score 80% on a fifty-question T/F test, all online and open book.  No credit toward playoff eligibility.

Offline NorCalMike

• FAN REACTION: +23/-8
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 08:34:28 PM »
We have a couple of tests. We take the 100 question test that the NFHS publishes. We take a penalty enforcement test that our education committee writes. Referees and Umpires must score 90% on the penalty enforcement test. Wings and BJ must score 80%.

Offline FLAHL

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 08:43:31 PM »
We have an hour to complete a 50 question test on line. Most are true/false, but there are 3 or 4 multiple choice questions thrown in some years. Score of 75 or better is required to work varsity.  Score of 80 (or maybe 85) required to work playoffs.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 07:40:04 AM by FLAHL »

JKinGA29

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 08:56:38 PM »
Georgia has a 50 question online open-book test, written by the state training committee. Score of 75 is required for a year of credit for younger officials, 85 or higher is required to obtain Certified status which roughly equates to playoff eligibility.

Offline stevegarbs

• FAN REACTION: +4/-2
Testing
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2015, 09:00:55 PM »

We have a couple of tests. We take the 100 question test that the NFHS publishes. We take a penalty enforcement test that our education committee writes. Referees and Umpires must score 90% on the penalty enforcement test. Wings and BJ must score 80%.

Wow I do not like that the whole crew is not held to the same standard. Live and die together.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2015, 09:09:25 PM »
NC takes the online Fed exam

Offline Curious

• FAN REACTION: +36/-50
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2015, 09:34:33 PM »
Michigan requires annual completion of an on-line, 30 question, "home-grown, open book rules test; and, for new officials, a mechanics test of "considerable" length (I'm told).

Both tests require 70% to pass. pray:;

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2015, 07:54:41 AM »
In Maine, we take the NFHS I on-line with a 30 day window. We have 4 officiating chapters in our state and each meshes the test score into their internal ratings differently. Our chapter's rating is calibrated as follows:
      30% test score
      40% fellow officials' rating
      20% meeting & clinic attendance
        8% seniority
        2% rating fellow officials

Is it perfect ??? ???....no.....but neither are our beloved Red Sox :) ;) :D ;D >:( :( :o ??? ::) :P :-X :-\ :-* :'( >:D

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2015, 08:01:28 AM »
Virginia requires (IIRC) at least an 70% on the exam to work period, and an 80% to be eligible for the playoffs.  Our association also has a 50-question test that goes into our year-end rankings.

Offline wheels71

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2015, 08:19:21 AM »
In Ohio all new officials must take a rules and mechanics test to become an official. You then have to take another rules and mechanics test to become a class 1, but then you are done. There are no testing requirements once you are a Class 1 in Ohio, but it sounds like that is about to change. The assistant director was encouraging officials to work with all the Class 2 officials to become Class 1 during last weeks secretaries meeting. Someone stated that they do not want to take the tests, and he stated that they would soon have to anyway!  pHiNzuP

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2015, 09:04:51 AM »
I will never understand why they don't require 100% on an untimed, open book test.  You have the book!  You have the time!  Assuming fair questions, anything less than 100% is just laziness.

Offline FLAHL

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2015, 09:09:11 AM »
"Assuming fair questions" indeed...

Every year there are 2 or 3 questions that are worded poorly or have incorrect answer keys.  Who writes/edits those tests?

Offline prab

• FAN REACTION: +37/-47
  • Wherever you go, there you are!
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2015, 09:26:22 AM »
I will never understand why they don't require 100% on an untimed, open book test.  You have the book!  You have the time!  Assuming fair questions, anything less than 100% is just laziness.

I believe that this is an unwarranted assumption.  I agree with FLAHL and am prepared to offer specific examples.  For example, please refer to the infamous "hash marks bisect the yard lines" question.  IMO 100% accuracy on a test may be acceptable for people handling nuclear weapons or anthrax virus, but not for NFHS football officials, open book or not.

Offline Curious

• FAN REACTION: +36/-50
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2015, 09:37:33 AM »

While I agree that a passing grade should be a lot closer to 100%, every test I've seen has at least one or two questions are so poorly written that you truly have to guess at what they're trying to say/ask.  If you can get 90+, I think you've got a good, conscientious official. 

Offline Atlanta Blue

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2015, 10:35:56 AM »
And that's why I added the qualifier.  But if there are 2 or 3 bad questions, and those are the 2 or 3 you miss and can explain why, I would still give you the 100.  But allowing 80% as a passing or playoff qualifying score on an OPEN BOOK, UNTIMED test is ridiculous.

Offline theunofficialofficial

• FAN REACTION: +5/-1
  • Go slow, then go slower.
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2015, 11:04:13 AM »
San Diego takes a closed book un-timed 100 question rule and mechanics test (different days). You are required to get 70% right on both to work HS.

1st years don't take the tests, 2nd year+ take every year.

Offline FLAHL

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2015, 01:52:30 PM »
We used to have a 100 question closed book exam.  We took it in-person with other FL associations at a local high school.  Test proctors were there to make sure that there was at least one empty seat between each of us.  The online test is probably less expensive to administer, but the old way really separated those who knew the rules from those who didn't.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 03:47:26 PM by FLAHL »

Offline TxSkyBolt

• FAN REACTION: +45/-46
Testing
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2015, 03:20:21 PM »

And that's why I added the qualifier.  But if there are 2 or 3 bad questions, and those are the 2 or 3 you miss and can explain why, I would still give you the 100.  But allowing 80% as a passing or playoff qualifying score on an OPEN BOOK, UNTIMED test is ridiculous.

What's the testing requirement for coaches?

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2015, 04:23:17 PM »
What's the testing requirement for coaches?
Can't believe it took as long as it did for that question.  :angel:
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline Atlanta Blue

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2015, 05:42:22 PM »
Actually, in Georgia there is a test required each year on rule changes.  And every coach HAS to score 100.  Failure to do so is a $100 fine.

We used to have to attend a rules clinic, and then take a test online.  It was the exact same clinic required of officials.  It is on the rule CHANGES, POEs and new administrative issues, not the whole rule book.

Now the state produces an online video.  You watch a 5-10 minute section, and answer 4 questions.  If you miss any question (and it doesn't tell you which one you missed), you have to watch that section all over again or you can't advance  Repeat until you get all the questions correct, then you can go to the next section.  You only get to the end, (and get credit) if you answer every question correctly, a total of 30-40 questions.  The whole process takes anywhere from 40-60 minutes depending on the number and complexity of the rule changes that year.  The window for taking the test is about 2 weeks.  Any coach not completing it is fined $100.  Rarely will the school pay the fine for you.

The test is required of all high school coaches, head coaches and assistants, Varsity, JV or Freshmen.  They way they check is they cross the list of those completing the test with the list of coaches getting their GHSA pass (which is like gold, it lets you and a guest into any GHSA event, anytime, anywhere).

As for a test on the whole rule book, I would have no problem requiring that of coaches.  But any official that scores lower than the highest coach is out of a job!

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2015, 07:28:11 AM »
We used to have a 100 question closed book exam.  We took it in-person with other FL associations at a local high school.  Test proctors were there to make sure that there was at least one empty seat between each of us.  The online test is probably less expensive to administer, but the old way really separated those who knew the rules from those who didn't.

Amen.  I hated when it went to open book (and then online).

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2015, 07:56:04 AM »
I fear if AB's suggestion of removing any official that scored lower than the highest coach's score was applied in Georgia, there would be a greatly reduced number of officials :(.

NEWS FLASH.....
       SOX KICK 3 FIELD GOALS AND CLOBBER BRAVES
         Brock "Brock Star" Holt hits for cycle aWaRd
of lesser importance.....
    Warriors win NBA Championship :D

Hump day trivia tester :
  Only one player in MLB history has hit for the cycle and made an unassisted triple play. Who can name him ????

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2015, 08:17:25 AM »
No yearly testing in PA.  Pay your dues and you're good to go!